Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A big THANKS to Bonz-and I need help resolving a starter problem :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big THANKS to Bonz-and I need help resolving a starter problem :)

My first post and Bonz had helped me out prior to being able to sign up, a couple months ago. I'm in NorCal-Bay Area.
    Thanks for the boards!
    I've got a very well cared for '81 XS1100S I picked up in August-21,000 miles. Fantastic shape. People thinks it's new. I traveled out of state to buy it and trucked it back. AN 8 hour ride on an MC, for an old buzzard, ain't the "fun" it used to be.
    The issue I'm having now is when I press the start button it is spinning freely ( most first cold tries ) and not engaging.
    I'm hoping there are XS1100 wizards here with the solution-new part and where to buy or repair process?
    I do have a Clymer manual but thought I'd try you guys first.
    Thanks- Jonny

That would be the starter cutch not engaging.

Sorry, it is not good news, as you have to split the crankcase open to service it.

Maybe it will improve with exercise, or with a better battery, or by some suggestion from another member. Maybe you can live with it.

Good luck and welcome to the great community we have here.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
      That would be the starter cutch not engaging.

Sorry, it is not good news, as you have to split the crankcase open to service it.

Maybe it will improve with exercise, or with a better battery, or by some suggestion from another member. Maybe you can live with it.

Good luck and welcome to the great community we have here.
      It doesn't get a lot of riding time-so I'm crossing my fingers on the battery and will order one up Monday. Cheap trouble shoot. Thanks.

Comment

JonnyO, welcome to the club. Here is a link to the service manuals for the XS models.

http://ringler.us/family/yamaha.html

Bax
        80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Change the oil!!!! The "wrong" oil will cause it to do that. Try using a "lighter" oil. I just moved from Santa Cruz area, and used a 15-40 for our "winter". 20-50 in cold weather, with this old bike, will cause some problems some times. You probably already know that once warm, it does not have any problems.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Good to see you, JonnyO! Thanks for keeping in touch this summer when we emailed back and forth about your bike, happy I could keep you interested enough to wanna check this place out! Glad you are here now.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

JonnyO, welcome to the club. Synthetic oil has been known to cause that condition. I would recommend , like Ray, an oil change. A four stroke motorcycle specific oil has additives which will help the starter clutch grip the shaft. Not an unusual condition for these old bikes.

Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Welcome Jonny O Yes as everyone has commented change that oil! Also try and run the bike as much as you can > picked up a Venturer that had been sitting even with the oil change I thought it was a split the gears job it was bad and hard to catch after getting some steady miles on the bike I no longer have any problem.

Coaster
                82 XJ1100J
                81 Venturer
                Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

THE OIL! I had just changed it to Harley 20/50.
                  I'll try that first! TY guys!
                  Last edited by JonnyO; 10-20-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Oil weight recommendations...from experience. :-)
                    Heck of a lot better than replacing or repairing something that ain't broke.

Comment

Was it Harley 20w50 syn? Could be a good call that the oil is contributing to the issue. Drain it, keep it clean and refill with a conventional oil. Pour the Harley oil into the bottles the new oil comes from, since if it’s not the oil, you can save the oil for another oil change or as top-off for other cars or cycles.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

JonnyO, what part of the bay area are you in? I know of ONE good mechanic in the Santa Cruz area who knows the bike. He may be a good local mentor if your close.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          JonnyO, what part of the bay area are you in? I know of ONE good mechanic in the Santa Cruz area who knows the bike. He may be a good local mentor if your close.
                          Hey Ray. I'm on the Peninsula.

Comment

That was quick!! :-D
                            Thanks guys! The consensus was correct. I changed the oil to the Motul in the pic and first cold start this AM she turned right over! YAY! Cheap fix.
                            On a side note ( that should get some good laughs ) I was a cussin' and a fumin'!!! -as the first plug I removed was the middle-drive drain plug! What a f'n idiot! OF COURSE then I had to top that back up...AND OVER-FILLED IT ...and then had to get a little out. :-D Serious idiocy on display yesterday. It's hell gettin' old.
                            lmao.
                            The problem with the Harley oil? It DOES NOT SAY ( and the salesman had no idea :-/ , ANYWHERE ON THE BOTTLES whether it's full syn, semi-syn or conventional-just that it's designed and engineered for HD's. Aholes! >:-/
                            I had a bunch of reward cards from a CC to spend at HARDLY-Davidson which is the reason I used it in the first place. *sigh*
                            Learn sumpin new every day. ( Now if I could only remember...
                            ANYWAY...thanks again! Click image for larger version

Name:	MOTUL.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	860096

Comment

Hi JonnyO, Any oil SH or higher that has a listing on the API badge lower rocker "Energy Conserving" or something like that will have additives that will plate your clutch. For the XS its both the starter and the drive clutchs. Most HD models have 3 sumps so the engine sump can take a high zinc formula and not affect the clutch plates in the primary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20W-50.png
Views:	199
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	860100
                              80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Working...
                              X