Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: To Use or Not To Use In-line Fuel Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, if I could put a fuel re-distiller on my bike I would.

There's no such thing as well enough filtered fuel - I discovered this with my old Volkswagen type III with fuel injection... Rust in the tank, no ambition to clean it, YEARS of good running and reliability for the cost of like 3 filters.

yeah, I think you could say I hold inline filters in high regard, and you'll be seeing them on the baboon, but only if you look REAAAAL closelike. (inbetween the carb filters)
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

I hear ya on that one. I was running two inlines filters with the metal screens plus I have the "so great" in tank filters and the last time I pulled the carbs there was crap in the bowls! I said enough I got a large, automotive, paper element, filter and T'ed both lines into it and then T'ed um out to the carbs. I am determined that one petcock provides suficiant fuel flow for full throttle riding and that there are two of them only to get the gas from both sides of the tank.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I have two filters and have been that way for a few years without any noticable drawback. I did get rid of the octopus or tubing in favor of a more straight-in feed. I run from the fuel valve into the filter and then stright into the carbs. I have a cross over line between the two feed lines so that the tank stays balanced and so that one valve will feed all four carbs. Its simple and works and it catches plenty of fine stuff that gets through the screens.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

i removed my leaky right petcock altogether and blocked off the hole and install a manual one on the left side, the tanks sabdde the backbone and the xs650 went from 2 to one petcocks and they saddle as well,

so i think to get all the gas i have to slosh the gas to the left or lean left, i found it dangerous to fiddle with the right side while at speed when low on gas enough to switch to reserve,so thats out

some backfiring would blow the vacume lines from the petcocks off and you know it, but i usually don't; for a while so 2 cylinders have a vacume leak and 2 don't run cause no gas and then the gas runs into the motor , foul the pplugs then i have to change the oil, i love it.

i run one large conical i've seen diver ray's and his are teenie , i liked those but i got 5 outa ebay and space is a premium under there, and size make a differnce.

now i just switch off and not worry about leaks, no vacume lines to clutter the carb area, the can lift and pivot the tank to a table and the bike will still run without reconnecting the lines in reverse for syncs and adjustments.

and best of all the fewer times i am exposed to raw gas dribbling and making a mess on me and around me is minimized, i think i hate lifting the tank for that reason alone and now i like motorcycling way better and that is the long and short of it.
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400