Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: To Use or Not To Use In-line Fuel Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smileing

I too use conical in-line filters, I use NAPA Gold #3011, they are the ones that have the brass colored cone shaped filter media inside (paper filter inside) they deliver plenty of fuel so no fuel starvation.

I'm just smileing waiting on Pggg's reply ...
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Aww, let's lay off the poor guy, he's suffered enough!
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

.. in the last 10 years i have used the small clear arrow shaped filters with the brass center on every bike i have owned, i have had no leaks with these and i use zip ties for clamps.. they catch the stuff that does the real harm and i like to see what the gas companies have sold me with there gas
        if the particals are small enough to pass through the petcock filter and the inline filter than they will pass through your jets just fine
        .. these particals usualy just sink to the bottom of your float bowl every couple of months you are supossed to open the drain screws [on the bottom of the bowls] to flush your float bowls any way
        the stuff that does happen to get past and go through your jets and into your engine are so small and so few that it will burn up with combustion
        paper element filters do restrict flow and if they are not clear[see through] the only way to know if the're full of trash is when the bike stops running
        but like that other guy said if your tank is that bad then it needs to be resealed
        .. NOW: does any one have any coments about that funky tank sealer brand name "Kreem"?

.. how's this for fuel for the fire? .. come on let me have it

Comment

The screen on the petcock stops the bigger chunks, but not the fine sediments suspended in the fuel. The sediment is what will build up in the bottom of the float bowl and eventually clog the jets.
          Carbs #1 and #2 get it the worst as the bike sits on that side more that standing upright.
          Three months ago, I was gonna do the ultimate fuel filter test. I bought 4 different types o' filters... paper element, volkswagon type, brass-lookin' cone, etc, and saved up about two month's worth of carb sediment at work. The idea was to run this gunk through each of the filters and see which type caught the most sediment.
          Of course, then we suddenly got busy, and I had no time for this project.
          It's now the middle of Sept., riding season's about over here in the Great Northwest, and with my winter lay-off looming, I see a lot of time on my hands coming soon at work. I shall try to revitalize this project and then shall post the results.
          (I've found a lot of sediment in carbs that had the brass cones inline, but don't know if the other types would have caught that stuff, either. Hence, the test)
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

He's suffered enough?

Aww, let's lay off the poor guy, he's suffered enough!
            I think He rather enjoys the banter we have here about the filter saga..
            '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

I have a cylindrical, in-line fuel filter on my 'Wing, but they have them already factory installed on the '84 thru '87 models. However, I have no in-line filters on my XS Eleven nor my Kawasaki.
              My Gold Wing's factory, in-line filter had already been replaced with a Russel brand filter when I purchased her. I did, however, take the filter off and dump out it contents, including blowing through it in the direction opposite of the fuel flow. It had quite a bit of small, rust looking particles come out of it. The Russel brand filter is cylinder shaped also.
              Now, where do I find a replacement Russel brand, in-line fuel filter?
              Ride Safe,
              Greg
              '80 XS1100-G "Christine"
              '87 GL1200-I "The Queen"
              '93 KLX650-C1 [licensed and insured dual-purpose]
              the "Back Road Beast"

Comment

About the petrol filters, of course most riders here have been kicking around motorbikes for decades and from experience always do what they damn well please! I'm not a fan of extra filters - 'keep it simple' methinks. Ying and Yang -we hear all the pros, what about the cons? Just another thing to go wrong to me, I've had trouble with them before.

I definitely dispute that the standard tank filters are too coarse, have a close look at them next time, they're as fine or finer than any inline filter. The only way debris will get through there is if they're loose, tatty or pin-holed. My tank is pretty shabby inside with rust and garbage swilling around(gotta do something about that) but when I strip the carbs occassionally, they're always clean, shiny, and spotless inside.

Even the tiny fuel valve screens are crystal clear after thousands of miles. What people are doing to keep getting gunked up carbs is a mystery to me! Give your bikes' a good long 8000 rev blow out now and again! Strip, clean and polish out the fuel taps, put in brand new shiny fuel hoses all round, and fuel problems won't be an issue.

Comment

Maybe Kiwis just get cleaner fuel than we do in the States. I think that it really has more to do with how often we ride our bikes. I've never cleaned the carbs on my XS400 and it just keeps on running fine which IMO is due to the fact that it gets ridden regularly. I've not even been particularly religious about draining the float chambers, when I do get around to it there's brown gunk down there but so far it hasn't affected the rest of the carbs. My 650SJ had serious issues with the carb screens soon after I bought it...gunk backed up into the T-pipe which needed to be blown out with high pressure air. There was rust in the tank and not only had the PO not ridden the bike regularly, the petcock screen had fallen off into the tank which meant I had no reserve. I started experiencing fuel starvation which was because the rust in the bottom of the tank went down and plugged the carb screens. Everyone get out there and ride those bikes more and you'll have less problems, not only with carbs but with electrical switchgear as well. Keep your tanks full and they won't rust. If you're not riding the bike for awhile add some fuel stabilizer to the gas and maybe a little Marvel Mystery Oil as well.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I've seen a couple references to draining the float bowls from time to time. I've not yet done any carb work because I've had no problems. Exactly what do you do do drain the bowls?
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

Hey Dean,

Water is denser than fuel, and will settle in the bottom of the bowls, along with the debris and sfuff. On the earlier year models, they had a nice hex headed bolt that you unscrewed and allowed the fuel to drain. The later years, they put a phillips head screw into the side of the bottom of the float bowl, and even put a nipple on the end so you could attach a hose to steer the fluid away from the engine, then you just unscrewed the screw and allowed the stuff to drain.

Be careful....if they've not been opened in years, then they may be corroded and fused/rusted tight. Try some penetrating fluid, ie. PB Blaster, and be careful with an impact driver/wrench, the bowls are only cast aluminum!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Filters

Having had one episode of flooding with the XS and lots with various stationary engines, fitting filters is the only way to go.

When I dismantled the carbies a couple of days ago, the bowls were spotless, not my experience pre filters, despite tank cleaning or strainers.

The only thing I wonder about is the air lock in the filters pressurising the system once the bike is parked and everything heats up before it cools.

I have cylindrical Ryco paper element filters that are about
                        1 1/8" dia X 1 3/4" long, [there is room if you're cunning]. The amount of air trapped in them reduces over time, but there is always a bit at the top [mounted horizontally].

Time to crank it up!

Comment

Remember who you are dealing with

Yamaha, right?
                          I have tossed the octopus on my XS11 & have small metal case external filters in the lines. It runs OK fuelwise.
                          OTOH I ran my XS650 stock, no in-line filter. Kept running out of gas on the 650 so swapped the smaller Special tank for a Standard. Removing the small tank there was a clunking sound from inside. The massive internal fuel filter/reserve level device had come loose from the gas tap and was rattling around inside the tank. No reserve & no filtration neither! Yes, I now have external gas filters on the 650. I wonder how many Yamaha owners are unwittingly relying on the in-tank filter that is actually just floating loose in there?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, all of my XSes with the sole exception of my 11 have had the fuel filter come loose inside the tank, I wedge them into the petcock with aluminum shims cut from a pie tin. The reserve on the 650 Special is a pathetic 15 miles, this is fixable with a Mikes petcock with a small length of vinyl tubing added to the main pickup tube. My 11SF has a different type of petcock, dunno what it looks like on the inside of the tank. Unfortunately Mikes XS petcock won't fit.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

Comment

i'm not against it ,it's just a round toit
                              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision
                              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I've got a clear filter on the low pressure side of my fuel system. It is catching stuff, but my petcock filters might be junk...anyway, cheap insurance preventing crap from getting in the injectors. I can't unscrew the float bowl if something goes wrong...

Dan
                                Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Working...
                                X