Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: To Use or Not To Use In-line Fuel Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: To Use or Not To Use In-line Fuel Filters?

I have read multiple posts of XS/XJ owners that use in-line fuel filters. And, I have read posts from those of you who are totally against the use of in-line fuel filters.
    No, I do not use in-line fuel filters.
    41.94%
    Yes, I use conical in-line fuel filters.
    51.61%
    Yes, I use rectangular in-line fuel filters.
    6.45%
    Last edited by 81XS11LadyRider; 09-15-2005, 10:23 PM.
    1981 XS1100SH - My first Bike!!

The only person I'm aware of who's totally against the use of inline filters is pggg. Most riders probably don't have them but I don't suppose that means they're necessarily against the use of them. There are filters inside the tank on the petcock assemblies and I guess they qualify as inline filters but they don't give one a visual check of what the fuel looks like or what is trapped in the filter. I haven't yet installed them on my XS11 but that's because I just recently got the bike and haven't gotten around to it yet. I've had them on all of my other bikes going back about 40 years. My only caution would be if you do go this route make sure that the filter (or filters in the case of 2 petcocks) is large enough to supply the engine's demand for fuel.
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

If you start with a clean tank, the filters on the petcocks and the screens in the carbs will catch anything large enough to do damage.

If you know you've got gunk in your tank, adding inlines is a poor shortcut. Just my opinion, but been running without inlines since 1974.

Ladies and Gentlemen, clean your tanks!

Comment

Okay Randy...My thinking was along the same lines.

When I ordered the tygon fuel line to replace the cracked and hardened existing fuel lines on my bike, I also ordered the Kreem tank prep combo. I had notice a little rust in the bottom of my fuel tank and when I got into dissambling the carbs, they were full of rust particles.

It was suggested that I add in-line fuel filters. I have seen the rectagular style like those on Mike's XS and I have seen the conical ones in other catalogs. So, I wanted to take a survey and see how many XS owner's were using them and which style. Hence, I posted this survey.

But, I think I was already on the right track, and I will finish the carb rebuild, check the petcocks and see if they need to be rebuilt or just cleaned, and finally clean the fuel tank and redo the fuel lines.

I am trying to get back on the road before it snows here!!

Thanks for responding...it's food for thought.

Originally posted by randy
        If you start with a clean tank, the filters on the petcocks and the screens in the carbs will catch anything large enough to do damage.

If you know you've got gunk in your tank, adding inlines is a poor shortcut. Just my opinion, but been running without inlines since 1974.

Ladies and Gentlemen, clean your tanks!
        1981 XS1100SH - My first Bike!!

Comment

By all means clean and seal your tank if it's rusty. IIRC the thread started about the little screens in the carbs. It's my belief based on what Mike La Londe told me and my personal experience since then that it's better to leave these out and run inlines instead the reasoning being that it's easier to clean inlines than pull carbs.
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by xs650mike
            By all means clean and seal your tank if it's rusty. IIRC the thread started about the little screens in the carbs. It's my belief based on what Mike La Londe told me and my personal experience since then that it's better to leave these out and run inlines instead the reasoning being that it's easier to clean inlines than pull carbs.
            True and you never know when you're going to pick up some grung at the pump. I use VW bug fuel filters. They're cheap and work great.

I don't think the screen type filters keep enough out junk and the paper element ones filter out more and still flow well. I have 2 of them on my bike and I put them on every bike I do carb work on.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

if someone gave me a ligitamate, negative side-affect of inlines, I might change my tune. Until then, I don't think my fuel can be filtered enough, clean tank or not. Between convenience and the added security, I only see positive gains.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

filters

I agree, I used to work for a filter company (FRAM) and have seen what proper filtration can prevent. The screens in the tank are only good enough to stop the big chunks. Any partical with a small enough diameter can go through the screen no matter how long it is. Most good filters have a "weave" that won't let this type of dirt through.
                Walt
                80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                79 XS11s
                03 Valkyrie
                80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

When I was a kid I read several books by and/or about Alaska bush pilots. One of their cardinal rules was to always always always strain all of one's gasoline through a chamois soaked with gas since a chamois soaked with gas will not only filter the fuel but prevent any water from passing. In an airplane in the wilderness water or other contminant in the fuel can easily cost lives.

I believe I'll probably mount paper element filters on my SF rather than the conical bronze element type that're on my smaller XSes. I have used the washable conicals for a long time 'cause I'm a cheapskate and because it's hard to get anything larger to fit gracefully on an XS650. I've seen the funk they trap and every little particle was a potential source of trouble. If I filter my coffee with paper, I suppose I should do the same for my bike!
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Two inline filters gives you four more connections in the fuel system. I realize the odds are very small, but that is also four more potential places to leak.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

After voting, I see I'm so far the only one using the rectangular ones from MikesXS! The conical ones for lawn mowers I found had fairly short nipples to attach the hoses to, and like Ken said, more chances for things to come loose and leak. The Rectangular ones from Mikes have much longer nipples, and the fuel hoses fit much better and more snugly, I felt more secure with them!

I treated/relined my tank several years ago during my rebuild, but didn't run filters for several years. I had some sticking float problems, but turned out to be uneven float posts! But I agree that the intank screens just don't filter a fine enough particle size, and although I'm not afraid to work on the carbs, I don't WANT to if I don't HAVE to! Keeping them clean by filtering the fuel is just another preventive step worth taking! I also use SeaFoam every few tankfuls!

PS....PGGG, same gas mileage and performance with filters as without!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC, About that Seafoam, how much do you use per tankful?
                        Also wondering about using it in oil just prior to an oil change?

I have not yet used inline filters, one reason being what Ken said about more connections/potential leaks and also the tight space.
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

I've never had any problem with leaks from the spigots on the conical filters even without clamps using the stock size 1/4" ID tubing. The spigots are about as long as the ones on the petcocks, maybe my conical filters aren't the same ones as the lawnmower ones. I buy them at the motorcycle shop. I do use hose clamps anyway just to be sure. In the past most of my fuel leaks have been due to split hoses.

I've been wondering, if one of those conical filters easily flows enough fuel for a 650 twin with 750 big bore kit running 2x34mm Mikunis, why wouldn't 2 conicals (1 for each petcock) be enough for an 1100 running 4x34mm Mikunis? If you look at the ID of the petcock spigots, it's pretty small. I'm talking with stock jetting, airbox, exhaust. Anybody running this set up?
                          Shiny side up,
                          650 Mike

Comment

It is more than enough mike. I have two conicals on my 11 and most of the time I only run through one petcock. I have run at WOT from stop to about 90 through the gears and couldn't tell the difference between two petcocks open and one.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad
                              Hi TC, About that Seafoam, how much do you use per tankful?
                              Also wondering about using it in oil just prior to an oil change?
                              Depends on what you're doing. Just for an additive in fuel not much...maybe 2 or 3 oz. per tank. But if you want to clean the fuel system up and any carbon in the heads I use about half a can (8 to 10 oz) per tank for a couple tanks.

I have also used it in my oil to "flush" the engine. I add 1/2 pint before oil change.

Comment

Working...
                              X