HyperPak Performance Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HyperPak Performance Ignition

Anybody every try one of these? They claim it creates a hotter...longer duration spark and advances the ignition timing.

It only cost $135...

Where did you find that? Is it new? Is it made in Ireland? (Country code 09 in phone#)

Comment

well, its using computer molex connectors.. im assuming its probably some capaciters, and resisters in the box that store a charge, and increase the spark output...

Would i trust it?.. not on my life

if you want a more powerful spark, theres a coilpack by Nology.. puts out about 45KV, and is easily convertable to a bike.

Not to mention the nology coilpacks will be about the same price as that.. only you can adjust the timing advance..

Comment

I bought it on Ebay from Electronic Research & Development ...Auckland, NZ.

They've sold a couple hundred so far. They make these for numerous bikes. And they have a good rating on Ebay whatever that means.

Chaluska -

Why wouldn't you "trust it"? Can it do harm to your electrical system.

Also why can't it advance the ignition timing? I think they claim this box will also crank the voltage up and increase dwell of the spark significantly. Obviously it replaces your stock "black box".

I thought I'd try it to see if I can discern any difference in performance.

Comment

hyperpak ignition

Hi Maximan, I am glad someone bought this ignition system before me. This way you can report on its value to all us other xj, and xs people. I have seen those for quite awhile on ebay, but decided to hear the results before a purchase. So, do us a favor and let everyone know how it works out. The igniton control boxes are obviously getting more scarce with time............hope it works out well,,,,,Mike Serrin, Xj1100 california
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Yeah Mike thanks for cheering me on.

I'm kinda "skeered" to try it now. But these guys (Wayne Gum ERD) assure me it's been tested and works. I'll let ya know what it does.

The main reason I wanted this unit was they claim it advances the timing. I know from talking to Maxim Gurus one of the differences in the XJ11 and the XS was the Maxim had a slightly retarded timing and lower compression. I also know that Zilla isn't quite as "punchy" as Kong (80 Special).

I was hoping this ignition would give me some of that punch back. I just hope it doesn't damage my electronics anyhow.

BTW are you in need of one?

Comment

Cody,

Go for it. I don't see how it could blow anything, it's only a switch that takes the signal from the pickups and switches the coils. Let us now how it performs.

Because it's got electronic advance it would be a good replacement for the 4RO TCI box also.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                Cody,

Go for it. I don't see how it could blow anything, it's only a switch that takes the signal from the pickups and switches the coils. Let us now how it performs.

Because it's got electronic advance it would be a good replacement for the 4RO TCI box also.
                That's right. The XJ isn't vacuum advance. Thanks for the thumbs up Randy. Since you rebuild you should know. When it come to electronics...I'm clueless. Throw me a rock...that's where it's at!

Ok well I'll give a try and get back with you guys. If this thing works it would be another solution to people with a bad TCI.

If it doesn't work I may send the unit to you and see if you caan dissect it. However that may be difficult. It look like the circuitry was built on a metal plate then the whole unit was cast in some sort of hard plastic/rubber.
                Last edited by MAXIMAN; 05-26-2005, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Well. Cody, if it doesn't work, dissecting it won't help us much! I would love to be able to dissect a live one!

I have no doubt it will work, but how well it matches your cam profile is the question.

For instance, the 4RO box has the electronic advance, but the advance curve is different than the mechanical curve used on the earlier 78 models. it more closely matches the mechanical used on the 79 -80 models.

As I understand it, the earlier 78 models had a different cam profile or vice-versa, I'm sure someone knows exactly what I'm referring to and please, chime in!

Comment

Well I just tried to plug it in and the connector are ALL wrong. The small three prong is the right size but the actual orientation of the connectors is wrong.

The larger plug isn't even close. So they obviously sent the wrong UNIT!!!

I'll keep ya posted.

PS...anybody describe an XS11 connector on the TCI? Is it different than the xj11?

Comment

Sorry, Cody I don't have any info on the XJ's TCI. How about taking a photo of the connector end of your original box and posting it here?

That gives me a bright idea. Anyone have a toasted XJ TCI that they wish to donate to a good cause? You'll get it back, but after I do a little probing and research into parts replacements and or substitutes / repair options.

Comment

Hey Randy

I have a complete harness from an XJ, and the TCI connectors are the same as an XS. I just checked it against one of my spare 2H7 modules. One 8 terminal connector, with 7 terminals used, and a 4 terminal connector, all used. If you would like it, I'll cut the wiring out of the harness and send it on to you. I have no use for it.

Comment

John, the harness would be a great help going forward, but only if it's WHOLE. That will help me map the system and wire for wire compare it to the XS system.

Let me know the postage $$ and I'll payapal it to you.

Comment

You got it Randy. Do you need the entire harness, or just the ignition system?

Comment

Yep that's right. My XJ has a 4 plug with only three used and a 8 plug with only 7 used. HyperPak has a 4/3 on one but a 6/4 on the other. They mut of sent the wrong unit.

Here's a pic of the connectors on the "HyperPak" vs the OEM connector:

Comment

Working...
                              X