No announcement yet.

HyperPak Performance Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randy, Maximan is right about the connectors. The plug of 8 has 7 terminals, and the plug of 4 has 3 terminals. I just went and looked again, and the wires are kinda twisted right there, and it looked like there were 4 wires instead of 3. How muchof the harness will you need?

Comment

Randy,

I have a spare TCI (Type TID14-10 10M-10) for my XJ that is good. Would it come back still working?

Louuis
      "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
      brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
      '82 XJ1100J
      LED Dir and running lights
      LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
      Modulated H/L
      PIAA Driving lights
      YICS Eliminated
      750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Isippell

If Randy says it will come back in good working order, then you take that to the bank!
        He's a pretty good ol'boy as far as Yankees go.

Comment

Hey Louis,

Randy is very good and gentle with these things, he knows and respects electrical circuits and components. I sent him my spare 81 4RO unit, and it came back just fine, so I wouldn't worry about loaning him your spare....besides, with the ERD unit and Maximan's and Randy's work, I'm sure a replacement will be workable!!

Maximan, the XJ does use a vacuum signal, there is a black box called the vacuum sensor IIRC, that sends signals to the TCI regarding the state of vacuum, so that it can control the advance/retard during changing loads...similar to the mechanical vacuum advance/retard unit!! Was there a wiring diagram that came with the aftermarket ERD unit?? Does it have any pinout descriptions?! It may ONLY incorporate a simulated mechanical/centrifugal timing advance curve and not have the circuitry to add in the vacuum sensor signal/input/info!? So...you may have been sent the right unit, but may have to make a few connection modifications to bypass the vacuum sensor/wiring!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Okay, that web site is:ERD website

Here's a quote from the description for the Motorcycle unit!
            State of the Art High Performance Programmable Ignition System

These units have four, pre programmed timing curves that can be changed at any time via a DIP switch. The four pre-programmed timing curves can be tailor made to suit the requirements of your
            engine.

Suits most In-line 4 cylinder motorcycle engines.
            1988 - 1996

Hotter Spark
            Ideal for normal and exotic fuels

Suitable for
            *Street
            *Performance
            *TQ Midgets
            *Mini Sprints
            Rugged Construction
            Units are Designed and Manufactured in NZ
            Proven Performance and Reliability

Suzuki GSX R 400-750-1100
            Kawasaki
            So...it looks like it WON'T take into consideration the vacuum sensor info, just a standard set of timing curves to play with!! But should be able to work in ALL XS11's, just would need to freeze the machanical and vacuum advance plates on them when putting this thing in, using it's programmable curves instead!?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C.

No diagram. I was hoping this thing would have DIP switches and it doesn't. I am not sure which models of there units would.

I have an E-mail into Wayne Gum asking to assist with the install or send another unit if the wrong one was sent.

I'll let ya know what happens.

Cody

Comment

Randy,

I've also got a spare vacuum sensor if you need to see what signals it puts out.

Louis
                "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                '82 XJ1100J
                LED Dir and running lights
                LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                Modulated H/L
                PIAA Driving lights
                YICS Eliminated
                750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Cody,

The four prong on your TCI (for pickups) uses two prongs for ground, which are common inside the box, so it looks like Hyperpak eliminated the double ground connection. Wouldn't make a difference. That's fine.

As for the six prong on the hyperpak, Looks like it's got four active pins. That would be enough pins, 'cause all you need is the +, - and two coil leads, but still not the right socket.

I hate when the mfg doesn't give you a wiring diagram!

Comment

John, I would need the whole harness to fully map it.

Isippel, I promise to be gentle! When I send it back, I'll reimburse you the postage. The best and least expensive way to ship it is via priority mail, they even supply the box. It's $3.85

Randy Rago
                    15-03 132nd street
                    College Point, NY 11356

Comment

Hey Randy - Wayne Gum at ERD sent me this e-mail:

Yes, thank you for the photo. What you have is an eight pin plug and a four pin plug. We have sent you a six pin and a four pin. Unfortunately, these do vary from country to country, although I should have checked with you on this particular model, as it is probably the most variable. We will be able to work this out, I will have to send you an eight pin plug over and I will tell you where the wires go, if in the meantime, you can give me the model number off your original TCI unit, that will assist. If not, I will send you a diagram of the eight pin plug for you to confirm.
                      I've got a feeling this thing may work. But it may not be optimized for the XJ/XS 11. I got the feeling this TCI may work for a variety of bikes. COuld that be possible?

When the plug gets here I'll contact you. Coming from NZ it may take a while though...hopefully they'll send a diagram too.
                      Last edited by MAXIMAN; 05-27-2005, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Randy

I'll get to that soon. I need to get to the PO and send off a side cover that I sold on ebay. (Took a beating on that) There will be some of the components still attached to the harness. They were good about 10 years ago. When I took it off the bike, I tried to be gentle, as I planned on reusing it. I labled some of the wires/connectors, but you probably won't be able to decipher my abbrevations. Someone here (maybe TC) had posted a schematic for the XJ. It is black and white but it does give the wire colors. That may help. If you can't find it, let me know...I made a large copy of it, and then 'connected the dots' (broken lines in the drawing), to make it readable. In fact, if I can find it, I'll send it with the harness. Issipell said he will send his vacuum sensor and module, so you should be good to go.

Comment

john,

Thanks a lot.

Cody,

YES. it will work for a variety of bikes. Like I said, the ignition is just pickups and switches for the coils.

When he tells you where the wires go, post the diagram here and we'll have the pinout decifered!

Comment

Randy

Ok...I got the schematic from Wayne this morning her it is with his explanation. I think I'll wait to get the 8 pin plug he sending me before I "jerryrig" the thing to see if it works unless you have a better idea. It'll probably take a week or ten days to get here form NZ.

E-mail form Wayne Gum - ERD:

HI Cody

Yes, we have the pin configuration for your unit. The unit we have sent you is the correct one for your bike, but not the correct plug configuration for your particular model. We are going to, in the meantime, send you an eight pin plug so that you can transfer the wires from the six pin to the eight pin plug. In the interim period, to prove that it will go, there are four wires in your six pin plug: ORANGE, GREY, RED and BLACK. If you plug this into your bike eight pin loom, colour for colour, for the exception of OUR RED WIRE, which will go to your RED/WHITE wire.

We will attach a pin diagram that will allow you to see where the colours are, and it should be the same as your model.

The other wires you have are not needed to run the Hyperpak unit. As the Hyperpak unit is a performance unit and does not use the other wires which are for your safety features, side stand, clutch etc.

We will send this now, and if you can get back to me if you would like to hook it up, or let me know if you want to wait for the eight pin plug.

Re the timing curve; whilst we do not have a graph of the timing curve, it is basically the same curve as they used in their race models, which runs five degrees more advance right through the range and of course has a higher dwell angle, producing a much higher Kv than original. The Hyperpak unit will run your standard HT coils at around 45 Kv instead of around 32 on the original. If you fit after market coils such as the DYNA coils, they will produce around 50Kv.

Regards,

Wayne
                            Here's the schematic he sent. Not sure how to interpret it:

Comment

Just what I suspected. Your XJ can use the 4RO TCI box from the 81-82 XS

Comment

Well that's cool to know. I don't know how ya cracked that code...but it's good.

Whadya think about his explaination of the timing curve and spark?

Comment

Working...
                                X