Clutch Adjustment Woes :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Adjustment Woes :)

Hello All Ive finally gotton started on my bike and thanx to a few of you guys now have most of the parts i need Thanx to all

However i got started on finishing the clutch up got it all put back together and installed and was about to get started on the Final Drive when i thought well let me go ahead and adjust the clutch as per the manuel, so i installed the new handelbar adjustment thingie, and a new clutch cable (first question i changed my handelbars to a much lower stance and the original cable routing couldnt be obtained so i routed the best i could is it posible this is where im wrong?) ran the cable to the mechanical part and installed it and adjusted there, then adjusted at the handelbar . well when i pulled back on the clutch after all was said and done it pulled Very hard and it failed to go back, so i checked the mechanical housing the spring was pulled as far as it would go but wasnt broke i pushed on the clutch arm it would not go down with out a lot of force

now im not to good with auto mechanics so i could have messed up any where in the adjustment just not sure where

so close and yet so very very far hehe

thanx for the help
    SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Brandon. make sure there are no kinks in the cable. You have to make sweeping turns to avoid binding. Oh, and it's lubricated, right?

Comment

Hey Boss,

Aside from ensuring that the cable isn't binding, like removing it from where it attaches to the clutch throwout lever on the engine case, and see if the cable slided in the sleeve easily. IF it does, then somethings not right with the clutch housing. If it doesn't slide easily, then it got bent, or is cause by something on the frame where you routed it!? Like Randy said, slow sweeping turns, like from the handlebars around the triple tree/yoke area, under the tank, and then down to the right side cover.

IF the cable is able to move freely, then you may need to remove the clutch housing. There is a warning in the manual about handling the housing, and the throwout lever/parts, they state that it should NOT be turned until the cover is positioned and tightened down. If it gets turned too far, the bearings in the throwout mechanism can be shifted, lost, and that could cause poor actuation of the throwout lever!? You did put OIL on the clutch Star Plate surface/recess as well as the throwout lever??

Did you use heavy duty springs when you put the clutch together? Also, did you rotate/turn the clutch basket as you were putting it back in to ensure that it wasn't binding against the sprockets for the primary gear and oil pump beneath it? Were you sure that the plates were all engaged by the clutch boss and all of it's grooves and spin the basket/ boss assembly before tightening the main clutch nut!? Good Luck!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ok i feel real dumb right now i did check most all of everything However in the last seconds of adjusting i was stupid enough to miss the fact that the clutch arm had a Groove that attached to the bolt that comes out of the side cover i was just tighting down as best i could now i feel real stupid sorry and thanx for all the help guys now on to the final

Cant wait to Ride again YAY!!!!!!
        SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Comment

Working...
        X