WANTIN' FOR THE ROAD
      CUZ THE DIRT CAN HURT!

Comment

The resivor was in the mail today!!
        Thanks Randy!
        Don
        99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Randy,

Thanks again - it came today and it looks just like the orignal, except it's twenty some years newer.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

got it

Randy,
            I got mine today, it looks great. Thanks, Walt
            Walt
            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
            79 XS11s
            03 Valkyrie
            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

If anybody with multiples wants to part with one, email me off list-
              Thanks

march@imkfpc.org
              The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

I got around to mounting one of the new reservoirs on Tsunami today and would like to offer the following information:

Let's start with a picture of three reservoirs - one from a special, one from a standard, and one of the replacements:
                [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20050227-mcreservoir.jpg[/IMG]

The first thing to note is the special reservoir has groove approx 1mm deep in the part that inserts into the master cylinder body. The area is approx 41.8mm in diameter. This part on the new reservoirs is 44mm in diameter. Therefore, these replacement reservoirs willll not fit a special - they will only fit a standard.

The new reservoir is approximately 2mm shallower than a stock standard reservoir. I believe the effect on reservoir capacity due to this difference is negligible.

The replacement reservoirs have nuts cast into the bottom that are supposed to be for the screws that hold the new cap on. If you try to install it this way, there is a very good chance of the reservoir coming off of the body of the master cylinder. This would not be good.

You will need to use a drill or a Dremel to burr out the threads of these nuts so you can use the longer stock mounting screws for holding the reservoir to the body of the master cylinder.

Once mounted, the replacement reservoir looks a hundred percent better than the one I took off, especially with the new top cover:
                [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20050227-newreservoir.jpg[/IMG]
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Uh-Oh

I'm glad you just posted this Ken. I bought one of the reserviors. I have an M/C torn down for rebuild, and the reservior is off. I just tried to fit them together, and there's no way.

Comment

I have played with an old, crumbly reservior, and found that a lot of the outer, crumbly plastic can be removed with a wire wheel, and then using sand paper in increasingly (finer) progressive grits, that it will turn out looking half decent. A Dremel with the right tool would be able to get into the recessed area that has the low level cast in to it. On the rear, I have found that the reserviors can be rotated on the M/C so that a fresher side can be revealed. The one I just did really looks good. The only thing with that is you move the level indicator marks out of sight. Not really a big deal though.

Comment

anybody have a replacement that they would be willing to part with? mine works but is cracking.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                      Second bike is an FJR1300.
                      Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

resevoir

Hey Rush, I have three, thought they would fit my specials but it's just standards.Pm if ya want one or all three,, just make sure that you are looking for one for a standard.

Comment

Has anybody figured out why Yama did that to us? Why in hell would they make it so that the two M/C's take different reserviors? Looks like I'll have to use the one that I sanded down.

Comment

reservoir

Thought my spelling looked weak ,,Ka--chng , Ka--chng, KA---CHNG,,monies, man, monies!!!!!!

Comment

Oh, crap.

Ken, thanks for doing my homework for me. Guys, I didn't know the specials and standards used different reserviors.

I'm sorry if anyone is inconvenienced.

If it's any consolation, I'm willing to sell them for you on e-bay and i'll eat the listing fees. Let me know.

Comment

XS-EBAY

There's the three bestXS- ebay's right here,,this site, allxs's, and triples (which is how I come to know of this site, have an special 79-750)! There's time!

Comment

Working...
                                X