No announcement yet.

Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL.. I was talking about the Bob Jones ride a couple weekends ago... But I will be there in Fayetteville in Sept. barbecue, berr and pig trails... what could be better??

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• i know i missed the Bob Jones ride, that was my fault.....no excusses there....

The walk of shame........
      1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs
      1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

• fastest

iguess 134 should be fast enough i've seen 110 on a suzuki 70 on a honda 750 an83 on a 450 on a 50 i seen 32 miles per hour mph.

Comment

• 85 mph speedo

What is 7500 rpm in fourth gear? I have a Special with a stock final drive and stock tire size.

I observed that climbing Pine Mountain. I backed off to the posted speed limit before I crested the hill. As it turned out, there was a state trooper there waiting if I hadn't!
          Last edited by jetmechmarty; 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

• Hi all, im new here; Ive had my 11 to 200 km/h-about 124 mph?
            5 mins later the front tyre blew out( luckely I had slowed down to about 50 mph---scary.I read a test years ago that XS1100's were good for 136mph in standard form?
            80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

• My bike is the fastest because,

1) its bare. ratted out. few high performance parts. -my secret. lol.

2) Im made out of lightnin.
              1978 XS1100E 81' motor
              ratted out piece of lightnin. yeah.!

Comment

• I believe my neighbor has the fastest xs1100 in Westville Indiana (cuz its the only XS1100 in Westville) . Its an 81 standard. Needs LOTS of help. Trying to rebuild it for the old guy. I still to this day, even after launching Vmax's, cant get over the "bunny hop" that shaft drive bikes are noted for.....
                '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                Windjammer(wiring issues)
                SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                New paint/brakes to come!!
                ===============
                '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                ===============
                '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                LED Brake Lite
                Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

• how the heck you guys go so fast?i have no windshield and at 80 my 140 lb ass is almost getting blown off the rear.
                  81 SH for 300 bucks,work in progress.
                  87 dodge d-50,35's,lockers fr&rr,fun.
                  87 dodge d-50,35's,open diffs,wifes.
                  89 dodge spirit,low 17's 1/4mile w/o turbo.

Comment

• Bunny hop??????

These don't do the bunny hop, that's why the engine runs the opposite way than all the others. It eliminates the bunny hop. I suspect there's lots more fine things you don't know about the xs.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

• Running backwards

Hi Planedick,
                      Back in the 1930s New Imperial put a pair of reduction gears between engine & tranny unlike everyone else who used a chain drive. As the trannys of that era were concentric (the input and output turned the same way) the New Imp. engine had to be built to run backwards to compensate. A couple of decades later UJMs all have a pair of gears as a primary reduction but the UJM tranny is all indirect with the input and output tunning different directions. Thus the UJM engine turns forward. Now here come the Yamaha shafties which keep the all indirect tranny but no gears for them, they gonna use a Hyvo chain instead. And so the XS11 engine has to be built to run backwards to compensate. And just like the New Imperial, the backwards running engine precesses the wrong way as the bike leans over and just like the New Imperial you gotta fight the thing round corners.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

• Any engine precesses one way or the other. Precession on the XS11 would be to the right because the axis of the crankshaft is on the same plane as direction of travel, and the engine is turning clockwise.

Torque reaction would be a much stronger force, and it acts at right angles to the crankshaft and opposite to the direction of acceleration or deceleration, so on acceleration the torque reaction is toward the front of the bike, making it harder to wheely.

To me the biggest concern is the pinion gear trying to climb the ring gear, jacking the back of the bike up on acceleration and making the suspension act stiffer when you're on the throttle out of corners, causing wheel hop, or dropping you on a footpeg or some other low point on the bike when you chop the throttle in the corner..that's what causes most of the headaches when cornering IMHO.
                        Last edited by Guy_b_g; 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM.
                        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

• Me!!!

Dave
                          1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

• Originally posted by powerram50
                            how the heck you guys go so fast?i have no windshield and at 80 my 140 lb ass is almost getting blown off the rear.

No wind protecton either.....most comfortable speed I find is 60-70mph.
                            80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

• My 275 lb ass tends to stay where I put it. I would guess that the performance upgrade that would yield the greatest results that I could make would be to go on a diet. Luckily I already have the fastest XS11 so I think that I will check the fridge for a nice snack
                              Dave
                              1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

• Originally posted by powerram50
                                how the heck you guys go so fast?i have no windshield and at 80 my 140 lb ass is almost getting blown off the rear.
                                I weigh 155, and bought a wind shield just for that reason. And the handle bars that lean me forward too.

I see guys on harleys kicked back like there in a lounge chair on the high way at 80 mph. If I lean back I go off the back! Or so it feels like. Or a gust of wind from a truck? Highway riding is kinda stressful for lighter folk. Got the constant death grip going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X