No announcement yet.

Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Max, the 3 or 4 XS11 cylinder heads I've seen, ALL had that mismatch or lip between rubber boot and inlet entrance. Distruption to smooth flow it causes. I 'cleaned up' that area with a dremel on another Eleven I had. Sort of a 'amateur' port job I didn't notice a real difference in power on that one, but fuel economy on long cruises seemed pretty good.

Comment

• Well I've had a lot of people tell me a port job will kill torque and mid-range power. I've also read that in other places.

However I think what they are referring to is a pretty radical port job...designed primarily for top end. That type of port job is designed to get it in and out of the chamber as quickly as possible ...the "it" being the F/A mixture.

However the idea behind this port job isn't velocity but volume. We are trying to more F/A into the chamber with a little retention time to keep the compression up (TORQUE). That's why the exhaust was only cleaned up...not opened up.

Who knows if this crazy idea will work. Sometimes I think it's "experimental" in part. But we're having fun and really that's what counts.

I'm no engine GURU ( maybe one will chime in here) but it obviously has to do with the flow ratio between the intake and the exhaust. The higher the intake to exhaust ratio...the more torque and mid range a motor makes. The lower the ratio of intake to exhaust the more horsepower and top end results.

I don't know...but I do know this. I'm ready to be finished so I can get back on one wheel.
      Last edited by MAXIMAN; 07-22-2006, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• very fast

early this year a friend of mine had a stingray vette he rode side by side my 1980 xs 1100 special my bike topped out in 5th gear at 146 mph that was a scary ride! just wanted to see what it was like right now I am working on a 1980 xs11 special with nitrous this is my drag bike thanks

Comment

• Did you put an 18" XS750 wheel on it OR were you way past redline? What have you done to the bike to have gotten 146 mph out of it?

Comment

• bigger pistons and rings higher gears in tranny

Comment

• Interesting...

Comment

• Originally posted by xs4us
                bigger pistons and rings higher gears in tranny

What bike are the gears out of?
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• Xs4, your bike probably still has the normal gearbox if it's doing around 4000 revs at 100 kph /63mph 8000 in 5th should be real close to 200kph/124mph. If it's hard to redline in 5th mind you speedos are always way out at that speed, I'd say that corvette had a crook speedo if the motor in the XS wasn't tricked out to hell.

Comment

• Hi pggg

How's your chain drive holding up?
                    Have not seen a post on it lately.

Recently have split the case on several XS1100's. Can invision your setup better now. Have a "spare engine" and may tinker some. Still not close to trying it out tho. Maybe next year, too many projects now.

mro

Comment

• fastest

I wouldn't bet against Bob Jones in Merriam, KS.......
                      Jeff
                      "elgranjefe"
                      1979 XS 1100 Standard
                      Danville, IL

Comment

• doing research

I am chiming in here because I have been looking into putting a taller 5th gear in the tranny box, If someone here has any solid info would be much appreciated on this end. The 18" wheel is still the best option at this point....chop
                        MDRNF
                        79F.....Not Stock
                        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• While Bob Jones is a very nice guy...I've talked to him numerous times...and is very knowledgable about the Eleven some of his claims of hp gains are a bit outrageous.

Here' s quote from his Street Sleeper web page found here:
                          Merriam Cycles Street Sleeper It's specification #16.

"...Estimated 150 BHP and 99 ft. lbs. of torque..."

The specs on the prescribed Eleven are simply a Wiseco kit, ported head, and re-jetted to a 4-1 exhaust.

I'm not an engine GURU or anything but I really doubt the addition polished wheels and a custom seat would add any additional power...but I suppose anything is possible.

Anyway...in that case .. considering we are dealing wiht a 25 year old air cooled motor with a 2 valve head...I find it hard to believe the "Street Sleeper" would make much more 100 hp at the asphalt. But then I'm not including that slick paint job. That's probably good for another 25 or 30 ponies.
                          Last edited by MAXIMAN; 07-24-2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Re: doing research

Originally posted by xschop
                            I am chiming in here because I have been looking into putting a taller 5th gear in the tranny box, If someone here has any solid info would be much appreciated on this end. The 18" wheel is still the best option at this point....chop
                            Chop

You can have custom gears machined...but it ain't cheap.

I've talked with Dan Hodges ad nauseum concerning this issue and it's painfully obvious the most practical and readily available method to gearing the Eleven UP is with the addition of a 18" wheel.

When you crunch the numbers...at redline with a Bridgestone Spitfire 120/90 18 you'll be at 146 mph.

But's it's like GNE told me once. It's not the 140 mph top speed that's so impressive but how quick you can get to that speed.

Comment

• In addition the one quote I found on that web page that is utterly laughable is this...spec #17

"...Top speed possible 150-160 mph with stock gearing..."

With stock gearing and a stock tire the Eleven's powerplant would have to be spinning at 9700 RPM!!! to acheive that speed.

Can I get witness?!?!

Comment

• 10k redline

at 10k rpm it is possible. Can the xs11 do 10k? I like the look of my 16" rear tire with the 19" front tire. If I put the 18" on, it would kinda be an xs11 cafe-chopper. I am not trying to break land speeds, just trying to lower cruising rpm at 70-80mph. My 17" is @#$%STILL(&%#@!!! at the machine shop. So what's the tallest tire you can put on the 17" and what would be the rpm's at 70mph?
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock
                                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                                X