Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GNEPIG

.. ok, here we have it, this guys XS is the fastest hands down.
    And as a new poll: Who did the longest run on one day

It would be me again, hmm howfar is it from Chicago O'hare to Amsterdam Airport?? Close to 5000 miles I think.

The Dutchy
    Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Comment

• mmm.....Amsterdam.....
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• mmmm Snow..... White Snow Amsterdam
        Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
        http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Comment

• In Monument Valley last June I screwed the throttle on Zilla open in top gear and held it there for several minutes. It took a while but the Cateye slowly crawled up to 104 or 105 mph. At that time I would venture to guess he was making 72 or 73 hp to the rear wheel.

Not too bad for a full dressed XJ1100.

However the picture is about to change...radically. Next week Mr. Zilla is going into the shop for a complete "upgrade" .

He will have a Wiseco big bore kit installed with a stage 2 Web intake cam. The head will be ported and valves radius cut. He will also get a new Motad 4-2-1 performance exhaust and be rejetted. Hopefully we'll see about 100 hp to the asphalt after this pricey little experiment. In any case I would hope to break 120 on top in spite of the drag created by that 4x8 sheet of plywood I call a fairing.

I will be posting dyno results after the project is finished. Obviously I'm not building a drag bike. I'm doing this for more torque and mid-range power to facilitate my addiction for 3000 mile road trips. I'm banking on seeing an increase in gas mileage too.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dutchy

And as a new poll: Who did the longest run on one day

It would be me again, hmm howfar is it from Chicago O'hare to Amsterdam Airport?? Close to 5000 miles I think.

The Dutchy
            Huh?

However...I did 863 miles in 11 hours flat one windy day last September when I rode out to Reno. I thought I was running 82 or 83 mph on I-70 west. Later I found out the speedometer on Zilla is off by a whopping 7 mph. I was actually running 89 to 90 mph. I'm utterly amazed I wasn't stopped because I met two or three HighPO between Salina and Rifle.

Comment

• Oh I almost forgot. Zeus... My stock '79 SF...coming back from Tulsa on the turnpike He wound up to 128 or 129. Just couldn't quite break that 130 mark on the speedo.

The remarkable thing was the stability of the beast at that speed.

Comment

• oklahoma autobahn!

yes, I can also say the turner or kilpatrick turnpike in oklahoma is good for land speed testing.....chop
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• Yeah...until that little black and white "chop"-per flies overhead.

I ran my ZRX1200 up to 150+ several months ago....about 40 miles west of Tulsa. I had just returned to Saneville (80 mph) when Mr. Do-right flew overhead. I almost puked...

Comment

• land speed

there is a stretch of country road between Guthrie and crescent Oklahoma that is awesome testing ground also. wheat fields and flat open road for miles.....And NO Rosco P. Coltrane if you know what I mean.
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock
                    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• Re: Who owns the fastest XS11?

I about to...I hope. At least the fastest full dresser. Should be getting Zilla off the dyno tomorrow or Tuesday (they don't work Sunday-Monday).

Originally posted by ae7f
                      This is not a top speed thread because we already created that one before.

This is purely a bragging thread; you can back it up with your figures if you want.

So, like this:
                      I own the fastest XS because.....

or

Mine is not the fastest XS because.....

My answer is I do not own the fastest XS because I know some have seen 130+mph on theirs. However, mine should be the fastest in Cedar City Utah!

Ben

Comment

• Hey Max are the chances better than average that you got some photos of the ports before and after with that cylinder head porting job?

Comment

• Yeah. I'll post 'em later. Right now I'm headed out the door to Halett Raceway.

Comment

• I used a different head. I had the head off an 1980 XS rebuilt.

Here's the original head off the XJ. I didn't take a photo of the intake however.

Here's the re-worked head from the '80 XS.

And the shot of the intake...can't tell a lot it's kinda blurry.

They fired it up yesterday and all appeared well. The FJ1200 carbs buttoned up perfectly. We had to make a very minor modification to the throttle cable but it's all good to go.

Tuesday they'll strap the 'ol Legendary Japanese Monster onto the Dynojet 178 and get the carbs dialed in. We'll see if we got any gain. He he he he he...

Comment

• mmmm.. they used their die-grinder sparingly by the look. This pic here is a stock standard XS11 inlet, but I'd need to remove the carbs to show the 'after' pic of my bikes' porting job. There's a noticible difference, as they removed that 'lump' below the valve stems, and reshaped the surrounding metal. I also saw a 'full on' port job on a triumph triple where the inlets were opened right out and with only a single thin valve stem visible.

Comment

• I'm not sure what you think you see. If it's the intake flange then that is not accurate. The head was ported with the rubber intake boots on and is smooth to the boot. The stock head had a little ridge where the rubber boot and intake came together. That is now seamless.

However regarding the port job on this motor...you are very correct. It was a very conservative approach. We barely modified the exhaust...just cleaned it good and left it be. This head was ported to facilitate torque...NOT top end horsepower. I'm sure we'll see a nice gain in HP but the main objective of this project was not just a gain in power but a power curve with a long flat profile and plenty of low grunt and mid-range.

We'll know more specifically Tuesday after tuning and a few dyno runs.

Comment

Working...
                                X