Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the Fastest, but she's fast enough.

I ride with a bunch with Harleys, Goldwings, and new Suzukis. King of the hill is one of the Harley riders, and his position has only been challenged by the new Suzukis, which he has soundly beaten. I've had this '80 G since last fall. I've been slowly bringin' her along, and Friday was a good day. The King and I were riding - he has an '04 Harley Wide Glide - and decided to see what we could do. Riding along at about sixty in high, I out pulled him until he topped out at 112. I was still gaining at 120 @ about 7000 rpms. I didn't try to go beyond proving the point, although I couldn't have gotten much more out of her, but then she's "well stricken in years." So am I. I was proud of her, and my buddy has been properly XSed. Humiliation is tough for the proud to chew. We're still friends, and he will probably be getting a big bore kit.
    Pastor Sam - Son Light Rider CMA
    Former GL1200 rider
    Owned by '80 XS11 G-Guardian Angel
    Yep, I got a @#$%^&
    xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

If I ever get my electrical problems solved on my bike it will be off to performance tuning.

Of 2 XS's I have owned, this one is the only one that will bounce the front tire with throttle. A couple of weeks ago I checked my compression and it was 135+ on all 4 at nearly 7,000 feet elevation. My last bike had a couple of cyls down to 65~70 range - a clear difference.

Plus I think I can tell the difference having the smaller rear tire on the special. I had my old 80g in the 120 range but I think this old girl will smoke that, but I haven't had (and don't plan to) ride this one any faster than 100 probably. 100 is fast enough for me right now.

Only problem is it comes way to quick on this bike! I need to get the 0-60 tuning into gear so I can bolt from the start.

Ben
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Midnight

Took my cousins midnight out for a run last weekend. I told him i was gonna see what it would do. I topped a downgrade at 100mph and held her open. Either the tach was wrong or the speedo as it went to 8600rpms and showed 120 mph on the clock.The clutch is not slipping so if the tach was right it shoulda been going faster. Does any one know how to figger out the speed using the gear ratios? 1980 Midnight Special............MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

http://www.boldts.net/album/MooseWarning.shtml

Last weekend I thought I would finally have the answer for my bike. Coming down TC17 from North Bay to Ottawa I thought I would see what the top end is as I had a nice stretch of vacant road. At 115 mph I came up to the sign in the shown in the link above, right after it was a sign, speed limit 90 km/h (lets call it 55 mph). I decided that I had already lucked out twice that day on radar traps and I was outweighed if there were any animals. So my final answer will have to wait for a different road. Probably would not have mattered if I had pushed it a bit more, at 2x the speed limit i think they burn your license and through the bike over the closed cliff up there.
          I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

I am the original owner of an 80 Standard. For 25 years my XS has gone through about 5 personalities. About 15 years ago it was 1203cc, hi rpm megacycle cams, ported, 36mm flat slides, nitros oxide system(careful when you push the horn button),Falicon balanced crank, Bassani exhaust, etc. With racing fuel (112 oct) at a secret location (the magazines always say that) we were able to knock on 150 mph (actually 146 but I weigh 235). It was really fun but actually I enjoy my XS much more now with stock cams, CV carbs, etc. I actually look around at the scenery nowadays. BTW as I remember, I rode it at 10.7 @134 in the quarter. Like my T shirt says, "the older I get, the better I was". Hey, I haven't posted on this list in a long time, this is fun.
            Doyle

Comment

Good one Doyle - but hey, ya don't need nitrous and all those mods - Merriams do 160mph with just a 1196 kit and a ported head! Yeah right.

Comment

fastest XS

Yeah, when it comes to performance, so much is smoke and mirrors, real top speed and real quarter mile times are fun to achieve and fun to talk about, but gains over bone stock are much more incremental and not quantum leaps as so many brag about. My 80 Standard, with jetting and kerker ran 12.4,... after an 1196 kit, cams and valve springs ($1300 US at the time) only improved to 12 flat, same track, same conditions. What I'm amazed at (after owning over 60 motorcycles) is how powerful, smooth and modern a 25 year old XS 1100 feels when I carve up a mountain road in the Sierras! Yes, I want a Hyabusa, a BMW 1200, a KTM, etc. but in the real world, my KLR 650 and XS 1200 give me complete motorcycling fulfillment!
                Doyle

Comment

Doyle

Not trying to be nosey here but how much do you weigh.

A lot of those published track times are at sea level (Orange county raceway) with somebody like PeeWee Gleason at the bars. I swear that guy could turn a mid twelve on a QA50 back in the day.

I agree totally. I am very satisfied with both of my Elevens. Oh yeah there's acouple other bikes I want...but I don't NEED them.

Comment

I just read your weight in the previous post. You're a big guy obviously. Certainly a competent 150 lb jockey would fair much quicker in the 1/4 on your Bad Boy.

Comment

• I just read your weight in the previous post. You're a big guy obviously. Certainly a

How much difference does weight make in situations like this? I know it makes a difference, but could you calculate it? I am about 6'5" and weigh about 340. I know - I know! I must look like a gorilla on a moped, but I was able to get to 120 on staight and level at 7000 rpm's. If someone half my size was the jockey, how much difference would it make? It would be worth a couple of years on a diet, if . . . . . . . . . . .
                      Pastor Sam - Son Light Rider CMA
                      Former GL1200 rider
                      Owned by '80 XS11 G-Guardian Angel
                      Yep, I got a @#$%^&
                      xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

• On top speed I'm not sure. Because the Eleven has enough torque to easily pull some one of your size up to that...or at least close to whatever it will do.

However 1/4 mile times can be radically effected because you're now dealing with something more than a simply rate (mph)....now you're talking acceleration....which deal with the change in rate.

I've read where ever 25 pounds on a motorcycle will result in a one or two tenth second increase in 1/4 mile times. Of course that's just a rule of thumb...a very general rule of thumb.

But lets assume PeeWee Gleason turned a 1/4 mile time of 11.7 seconds on a bone stock 1979 Elelven. If he weighed 140 lbs then according to the 25 one tenth rule your E.T. would be as little as 8 tenths to as much as 1.6 seconds more. Assume about a second. You're at 12.7 seconds.

At a 120 mph (176 feet per second) he crossed the line 176 feet ahead of you. So the difference can be quite radical in a foot race.

On top end though I'm not sure.

Comment

• One more thing. A lot of that depends on the torque the bike generates. Torque=pulling power....and weigh doesn't effect the an engine with a lot of torque.

For a big guy I would bet something like a Triumph Rocket III would be the ticket. The bike creates so stinking much torque (147 ft-lbs)weight wouldn't effect it nearly as much as a bike like an Eleven.

Much in the same way a diesel engine pulls. My Ford Expedition will 0-60 in about ...oh say 9 seconds. But pulling my boat the 0-60 drops to probably 15 or 16 seconds.

My Super Duty F250 with a Powerstroke will hit 0-60 in ....let's say 10 secons. And pulling my boat it will hit 0-60 and 10 seconds maybe 11 seconds but there is little difference because the "stroke" is generating a little over 500 ft lbs of capital "T". The Expedition might be turning out 350 ft-lbs.

The Rocket turns a 1/4 in 11.3 seconds. The bike weighs 800 lbs!!! That oughta tell ya something

Comment

• Hey Pastor Sam,

I'm 6'6" but 120 lbs lighter, so I look like an Orangutan on my XS11! Surprisingly, it's not the weight as much as the wind resistance!! That's why the Hayabusa's and other Sport bikes look like bullets. The XS11 can't cut thru the air as efficiently as these other machines. And the shaftdrive also causes losses in HP at the wheel. I rarely want to go over 75 on mine, and even with 2 up(over 400lbs total) it'll get there just fine and dandy!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Hey, great discussion you guys and those figures for my quarter mile times were with me, a 220 lb rider(at the time I was 220!). The thing I failed to mention but you guys brought it up was that my absolute top speed compared to a friends top speed (he only weighed 140 so we're talking over 85 lbs difference) on my XS only varied 3 mph! As suggested, top speed is affected much less than acceleration by overall weight. Incidently, I JUST arrived home (Reno) from 5 glorious days at Laguna Seca for the Moto GP (go USA!) and Yamaha, celebrating 50 years brought some museum bikes for display at their tent. I saw and touched a 1979 maroon Standard with 8 miles on it, it was so beautiful, drew a crowd and was so enjoyable listening to guys riding Ducatis and Apprilias talking about its beauty and how it was, "king of the horsepower wars in its day"' etc. They also had a 1964 YDS2 (my first bike) and Kenny Roberts 750cc 2 stroke dirt tracker that was outlawed. I know this is XS only but I had to share this stuff, I haven't even taken my bike and shower kit out of my truck yet! Doyle
                              Doyle

Comment

• Re: I just read your weight in the previous post. You're a big guy obviously. Certainly a

Originally posted by fbcaf
                                How much difference does weight make in situations like this? I know it makes a difference, but could you calculate it? I am about 6'5" and weigh about 340. I know - I know! I must look like a gorilla on a moped, but I was able to get to 120 on staight and level at 7000 rpm's. If someone half my size was the jockey, how much difference would it make? It would be worth a couple of years on a diet, if . . . . . . . . . . .
                                Wait a minute,6'5'' and 340 lbs.,boy you don't need a Yamaha you need a Kenworth.Now don't get mad and kick my behind,but you got one stout Eleven.Every 12-15 lbs. is a tenth and every tenth is 2 Hp.
                                81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Working...
                                X