XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Oh my..

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      That's hilarious!
      '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
      '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
      '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

I'm so glad I have a bevel drive instead of chain and sprocket!

Just because I'm feeling froggy on this COVID-19 Stay at Home day, I'll comment on Metzeler tires. I tried the ME880, I believe. They were not cheap tires. The performed pretty well. They run BIG. I measured them. I ride my bike. I had to replace at least the front tire for cracks in sidewall and tread grooves. Fool me once, as they say. Besides, smaller tires turn in faster. I never got cracks in Avon Roadrunners, Bridgestone Spitfires, Conti Tours, Dunlop, or Pirelli tires.

My XS1100 has Yamalube 20W50 in it. I have a few gallons of it on hand. It's pretty clean and slippery.

Wash your hands! Don't touch your face!
        Meh, COVID SHMOVID. Say that 19 times.

Viruses need to find a mucous membrane so -- don't pick your nose, scratch your butt, or bite your fingernails, either, and leave scabs alone too. Basic sanitation hasn't changed for decades so if anyone still needs to learn this stuff now they're hopeless and masks and gloves aren't going to help.

There is a better selection of tires for an XS11 Special with its 16" rear tire. The Standards with the 17" have a fairly limited selection but the longest lasting and toughest for me was the Kenda K657 6-ply Nylon. It had that odd thump when cold that all Nylon tires have but it also had all 6 plys instead of just a 'rating' and it handled alright when it was warmed up.

Conventional Yamalube is good stuff and the blends are alright, too. For me it's overkill though and they're too proud of their products so they're usually too pricey.

Yamalube full synthetic 10W50 is insane.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Oil?

Yamaha, Honda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, BMW.......... Guess which one of these manufacturers makes their own lubricants? If you guessed NONE OF THEM, you win the prize. Judge your choice of oil accordingly.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Yes, Mike, but they all charge as if they personally invented oil even if they all came out of the same hole in the ground on the same day.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

When I buy tires online, I order a few gallons of Yamalube. It's inexpensive and shipped for free. No brainer.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

When I buy tires online, I order a few gallons of Yamalube. It's inexpensive and shipped for free. No brainer.
                Another opportunity to talk tires in the oil thread

I really like the Kenda Kruz I put on the V65, but it took lots of weight to balance the rear.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

I really like the Kenda Kruz I put on the V65, but it took lots of weight to balance the rear.
                  I got stuck with one of those when I had a front go down in Arkansas on the way to XSSE. I couldn't WAIT to get that thing off my bike.

It went away on a bike I sold.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Sounds like a great deal! Where are you buying ahwl an' tahrs?

I found Yamalube online at Parker Yamaha (same place I buy the Yamaha shaft-seal-safe carburetor cleaner) for $17.25/gallon but you need 5 quarts so you're cracking open the next gallon.

WallyWorld 20W50 is only $13.68 for a 5 quart jug. There is no cracking open a second gallon jug or buying a quart single to top up the fill.

SuperTech is API SN Plus (supposed to help with Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) in turbo engines? ) is only rated for 0.08 ppm for Zinc/Phosphorous so it doesn't look like it has as much of the Holy ZDDP as in days of yore.

It's hard to find consistent and reliable JASO numbers for Yamalube because it's a proprietary blend for Yamaha but it looks like it was cut back to 0.08 ppm from 0.12 ppm too so the API SN Plus ZDDP numbers may be similar if not identical. The panicky hoo-hah kerfuffle about flat tappet cam wear is about the extremely high loads on pushrod valve trains with conventional lifters, not overhead camshafts like the XS1100 so it's not a mechanical wear deal breaker.

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                    Another opportunity to talk tires in the oil thread

Greg definitely did not like the front.

A rear 130/90-16B 74H, not available for 17" rims.

How was the wear mileage?

Kenda's advertised 3+2 casing for that tire looks like it's not as tough as the 6-ply nylon.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Supertech 15w40, if you do a search for used oil analysis, still shows over 1,200 parts per million zinc. Anything above a 30 weight is grandfathered and does not need to abide by the new limits, even though it has the SN rating. I could go into more detail on that but do a search and you'll find it.

These are the weights available with an SN+rating. You will not find that rating above a 30 weight.

This is from Castrol's website but it's similar on others as well. The Advent of the SN rating is the one that reduced zinc to those low levels anyway. The "+" simply lowers the calcium and increases magnesium in the additive package, zinc limits are still low.

Castrol EDGE (Advanced Full Synthetic): 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30
                      Castrol EDGE Professional: OE 0W-20,
                      Castrol EDGE Professional 5W-20, 5W-30
                      Castrol EDGE High Mileage: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30
                      Castrol EDGE Extended Performance: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30
                      Castrol EDGE Bio-Synthetic: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30
                      Castrol GTX MAGNATEC (Full Synthetic): 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30
                      Castrol GTX High Mileage: 5W-30, 5W-20
                      Castrol GTX Ultraclean: 5W-20 and 5W-30

Mobil as well...

Mobil 1™ Annual Protection (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30)
                      Mobil 1™ Extended Performance (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
                      Mobil 1™ Extended Performance High Mileage (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30)
                      Mobil 1™ Truck & SUV (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30)
                      Mobil 1™ (0W-16, 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
                      Mobil 1™ High Mileage (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
                      Mobil Super™ Synthetic (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)

As for tires, the ZRX loves the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Fantastic mileage out of the rear (close to 10,000 miles, front is almost to 12,000 and going strong) and these tires will lean over and dig through a corner as well as any tire I've used. There are other great sport-touring tires that will perform similarly however I think I found the tire I'm going to keep on using as long as they make them.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I don't see any 130/90 16 or 17 sizes so I could run the Roadsmart 3 on my Harley but not on my XS or XJ.
                        The Heritage is sporting a set of Harley-Davidson Dunlop D402 whitewalls right now that are comfortable and I like the way they look on the bike.
                        They're also a pitb to keep clean....

(active image won't link to the forum post)

Dunlop Tire Series- D402 MT90B16 Wide Whitewall - 16 in. Rear
                        https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/dunlop-16-rear---d402-mt90b16-pa-12-4311992a--1

I read and posted some of the SuperTech specs here a long time ago when I started using their oil if Rotella wasn't available.
                        If it's not obvious -- I like and use SuperTech oil.

SuperTech synthetic is still pricey for an XS/XJ but I'd use it in my Heritage M8 engine without any hesitation or worrying about the cams and roller lifters.

Again: The amount of ZDDP is a non-issue for our XS/XJ engines with overhead cams and hardened shims in the valve buckets. 800 ppm is fine.

If you want to search, try finding any published specs or a VOA for Yamalube dino, blend, or synthetic. There is a VOA for Yamalube 10W-40 dino over on BITOG but it's from back in 2008.

I haven't found any published specs for any Yamalube 50 weight synthetic or synthetic blend oils either but the prices are prominent.

I'm not sure what you're saying about SN Plus API but the logo is printed on the back of the jug.

SuperTech 20W-50 API SN Plus
                        Today's price is $13.68

-- Scott
                        _____

Comment

I am a knuckle head... You said 20W50, I read it and then my brain went looking for the info on the 15W40.

Yes the 20w50 has the lower limits on zinc and phosphorus for sure from BITOG analysis.

The ZRX has the oil sprayed on the cam lobe at the beginning of its rotation after contact with the rocker on the intake side. By the time it spins around again it isn't as well oiled as it could be. As a result ZRX owners have been more aware of higher zinc content to help minimize the known pitting issues on the ZRX cams in general but specifically the intake side.

I run Mobil 1 10w40 4T in the ZRX currently, 1300 PPM zinc and 1200 PPM phosphorus. Last year I ran M1 20W50 v twin. 1750 PPM zinc, 1600 PPM phosphorus.
                          Last edited by Bonz; 04-20-2020, 08:51 PM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

A rocker would need zinc for the high loading so it's good for your ZRX valve train but it's bad for the (cough) catalytic converter (/cough).

I'm kind of amazed there's a lubrication problem in the design and what must have happened to track down and figure out the problem.
                            That sucks pond water through a thin straw but the 'last resort' lubrication of zinc is for exactly the type of z-rated scene it creates.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

49-state models had no cat, not sure about the Cali models. They were made 1999 through 2005. 1999 and 2000 as an 1100, 2001 to 2005 was a 1200.

The stainless Muzzy exhaust system on there didn't do anything but add a bunch of power. The green lovers should be grateful as I'm turning the same amount of gas into a hell of a lot more power, still getting over 50 mpg doing it.

The ZRX has one of the most active and innovative and devoted forums in the country if not the world. Like you know every aspect of an XS1100, there's guys that took a look at the design and figured out the oil was not being optimally applied and it contributed to the pitting of cams.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hey now! I'm not a foaming treehugger but the smog and other pollution laws here make sense.
                                When I was a kid there were times that I couldn't see anything farther than half a block away and just breathing hurt like blazes, forget about running and playing.
                                You don't even want to know about the water and garbage everywhere from millions of people just tossing almost anything you can imagine wherever they felt like leaving it.

Even decades after the laws went into effect, I was on a plane back in the late '80s coming home from Hawaii and at 57,000 feet up in the air the brown finger of smog started to become visible below us for several hundred miles before we reached Lost Angeles and there was a series of huge, widely scattered, 'slick' patches on the ocean that gradually became one giant slick at 50 to 100 miles of the coast. Blech.

There are tens of millions more people here now and the air and water are still better today than they were back in the '60s. Be very, very, very, glad that you live in Colorado.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X