Synthetic Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    So what were your speeds on that run? Or more importantly what was your sustained RPM? I'm just curious out of curiosity sake because that's the kind of thing I'm always curious about, curiously.

A hanging RPM that doesn't come down kills an engine and its oil for sure. That's in a sense like doing a 300 mile Daytona 200 with your XS1100.
    Speeds were high, 'nuff said.

The main problem was wear. That was on the original factory engine before the first rebuild and a couple of pistons were knocking loud and hard in their cylinders.

Blow-by was insane and so was fuel contamination. It ran faster than stink but loved oil.
    Yum! (slurp!)
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yeah fuel contamination would have thinned that down to a 20wt.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Yeah fuel contamination would have thinned that down to a 20wt.
        Something like that, yes. I was actually trying to get the engine to blow up and cadge a ride home with the bike in the bed of my buddy's air-conditioned truck but noooo! The stupid thing ran happily and noisily all the way home.

-- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Good plan!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Good plan!
            I thought so but it was, "Curses! Foiled again!"

To bring this back sort of on-topic: Oil. Yes, use oil.

It doesn't matter what kind you use as long as you keep the level somewhere between the two marks in the oil level window these engines will keep going and going and....

Oh, and make sure you check the oil level when you fill up with gas, especially if you've been running hard.
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Ditto, good plan!
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Enjoying this thread especially the exchanges between 3Phase and Bonz. Keep it up guys. very entertaining. I know some is only funny in hind sight as at the time 3Phase was not amused

Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                  Enjoying this thread especially the exchanges between 3Phase and Bonz. Keep it up guys. very entertaining. I know some is only funny in hind sight as at the time 3Phase was not amused

Phil
                  Yeah, it wasn't funny then but it is now.

The stock clutches in my bikes didn't slip with synthetic oil but I rebuilt them with new steels, frictions, and Barnett springs. Phil, you rode my XJ11 when you were here in California and the lever wasn't too hard to use.

New steels were waste of money, really, because the old ones were fine but anyway, I bet I could dump a bottle of Moly additive into a fresh fill of synthetic oil and the clutch wouldn't slip... okay, maybe not but you know what I mean!
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    Yeah, it wasn't funny then but it is now.

The stock clutches in my bikes didn't slip with synthetic oil but I rebuilt them with new steels, frictions, and Barnett springs. Phil, you rode my XJ11 when you were here in California and the lever wasn't too hard to use.

New steels were waste of money, really, because the old ones were fine but anyway, I bet I could dump a bottle of Moly additive into a fresh fill of synthetic oil and the clutch wouldn't slip... okay, maybe not but you know what I mean!
                    3Phase
                    Carving canyons with you was a highlight of my first visit to California.
                    Hope we can get together again.
                    Thanks
                    Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                      3Phase
                      Carving canyons with you was a highlight of my first visit to California.
                      Hope we can get together again.
                      Thanks
                      Phil
                      Scott comes to the rally in Colorado, you come to the rally in Colorado. Then you get to carve with him, problem solved.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Scott comes to the rally in Colorado, you come to the rally in Colorado. Then you get to carve with him, problem solved.
                        Hi Howard,
                        While still a plan if this virus thing drags on much longer. Will it be safe to travel ? Will the border be open ? Etc.

Phil
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Yeah I think other layers of this virus onion are being peeled back but people haven't talked about them yet.

Reality is we have no natural immunity to this disease, we're slowing the spread however until a vaccine is introduced and people can be given immunity without getting the disease, this thing risks blowing up again and again. And a vaccine is still a long ways off, more than just months.

I've been able to go for rides with no problem, always have something I could grab at an essential store so it's legit to be on the back roads going between towns to look for more toilet paper as my grocery store doesn't have any (true).

I'm thinking we all decide Colorado is the mecca for toilet paper and say that's where we're going to get an essential supply.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...J88gx5k_XcAUIw
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Welcome to the fray Greg! You're always up for a good oil thread, although I can't tell what that link talks about. If it's about this damn virus or about a wholesome oil thread?

What does that link take me to? I go to Facebook and it gives me a leaving Facebook message like I'm about ready to exit the Facebook website.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I thought the virus had infected the thread.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X