Synthetic Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    [...] What does that link take me to? I go to Facebook and it gives me a leaving Facebook message like I'm about ready to exit the Facebook website.
    It takes you to Fox Nooze. I trimmed the l facebook com and the Face Book Click ID (fbclid=) from the end of the link for you, that's what gives the "Leaving Facebook" message.

The numbers you may have missed that put COVID-19 in perspective
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6149012394001#sp=show-clips

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    I thought the virus had infected the thread.
    You know what? I think the 6-ply Metzeler Marathon ME880 is the best tire for the XS/XJ1100.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I agree, the negative news is what we see, there is a lot going on that's better then ever will be reported. My brother is a physician's assistant and I have the number of friends that are close to the medical field. There's a lot of good going on.

And any tire that gets the glory of being shod on to an xs 1100 is a lucky tire.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Well, yeah, they are very fortunate tires!

And since motorcycle tires are made from synthetic rubber compounds that are in turn derived from conventional oil or even fully synthetic oil the tires are on-topic in the "Synthetic Oil" thread.

(back to picking lint off the dogs)
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

So sorry that those of us who lost close friends and am personally on third week of oxygen and hear constant ambulance sirens are harshing the foxnews vibe. Disappointed that one of my few havens from this garbage got infected by it.

If was fun while it lasted. Bye.
          Steve R

'80 SG
          "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
          1978 XS400E Red
          1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Sorry for your loss and congratulations for being one of the 98%.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
              So sorry that those of us who lost close friends and am personally on third week of oxygen and hear constant ambulance sirens are harshing the foxnews vibe. Disappointed that one of my few havens from this garbage got infected by it.

If was fun while it lasted. Bye.
              I am so sorry you're sick and that you have lost someone. I have friends who were sick and know folks who have been lost too. That is our reality unfortunately whether reported by Fox News or CNN or MSNBC or NPR.

Legitimate conversation about the potential effects of this pandemic was started in reference to a rally I host every summer in Colorado. It happens to be in an oil thread, however that is typical when things come to mind and guys bring them up.

It's a shame New York City was hit so hard.

Please find the peace you are looking for and I will refrain from bringing up the current world situation as it came across as insensitivity. My apologies on that.
              Last edited by Bonz; 04-14-2020, 08:06 AM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Sorry that just blew up out of me, isolation fever. I am glad to be in the 98 for sure. Not an urbanite by nature or background but I do love it here. Thought 9/11 was the worst I would see but this is bad. But good news is out there for sure! And I will go back to wishing I was closer than 90 miles from my SG with the new big tank! Hoping everyone stays safe!
                Steve R

'80 SG
                "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                1978 XS400E Red
                1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Steve, and I hope you get better!

I have too many friends and relatives affected by coronamadness so to keep my mind off of it I think it's time to go for a ride and look for deals at the parts stores to see if I'll be running conventional, synthetic, or a blend after the next oil change.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

You know what? I think the 6-ply Metzeler Marathon ME880 is the best tire for the XS/XJ1100.
                    Ha! An embedded tire thread! I like those Metzlers.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      Ha! An embedded tire thread! I like those Metzlers.
                      (simple grin) Busted... heheheh.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Metzeler ???

Did I hear Metzeler mentioned?

Oil thread, or not... or otherwise....

I bought the Metzeler Roadtec 01 's last spring, road them for the summer and to VYR rally (about a 4,000km round trip) and I am happy to report they were much better than the three sets Shinko 230's I burned through previously.

Longer life, way better handling. I think sidewall is stiffer, reducing the high speed corner wobble to almost non existent.

I had a blast on all the rides at VYR, comfortably pushing the bike into corner, after corner, after corner...oh ya!

Brian
                        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

I really like the Metzeler Lasertec tires. The ride is fantastic and with the light sidewall and tread ply they handle like I could ride on walls.

Don't push the mileage though, when you see wear bars there's only tiny amount of rubber left in the center of the tread before you hit cord.

I'd still be using them but they wear out too quickly and the load rating is close to the limit, especially if I load up for touring.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                            Did I hear Metzeler mentioned?

Oil thread, or not... or otherwise....

I bought the Metzeler Roadtec 01 's last spring, road them for the summer and to VYR rally (about a 4,000km round trip) and I am happy to report they were much better than the three sets Shinko 230's I burned through previously.

Longer life, way better handling. I think sidewall is stiffer, reducing the high speed corner wobble to almost non existent.

I had a blast on all the rides at VYR, comfortably pushing the bike into corner, after corner, after corner...oh ya!

Brian
                            Oh man! I gotta get the xs11 out of cold storage!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                            03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Sid, if we get some good weather in the next couple weeks give me a text. I'm doing online teaching with middle school kids but as long as I can check email on a phone I can teach from anywhere we stop for a break, hint-hint.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Just because I'm feeling froggy on this COVID-19 Stay at Home day, I'll comment on Metzeler tires. I tried the ME880, I believe. They were not cheap tires. The performed pretty well. They run BIG. I measured them. I ride my bike. I had to replace at least the front tire for cracks in sidewall and tread grooves. Fool me once, as they say. Besides, smaller tires turn in faster. I never got cracks in Avon Roadrunners, Bridgestone Spitfires, Conti Tours, Dunlop, or Pirelli tires.

My XS1100 has Yamalube 20W50 in it. I have a few gallons of it on hand. It's pretty clean and slippery.

Wash your hands! Don't touch your face!
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X