No announcement yet.

O rings in float bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to add…. Be sure and keep the old parts you will be reusing separated so you can put them back into the carb they came out of. Like floats. I lay them all out on a towel and in separate piles linked to a carb. I trying to add a picture. Jeff
    Attached Files
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
      To verify what Phil said, here is a picture of the rebuild kits for your year model carbs. Notice the float needle seats only come with the metal washer that they sit on. The other big differences are the float needles do not have the rubber tips on them and the pilot jet tunnel screws thread into their respective tunnels with the heads exposed.
      Thanks, I was looking at that very kit--anyone have feedback on the quality of jets and float valve assembly? I try to get genuine Mikuni ideally, but float valves are almost $100 for four, and I need to replace at least two pilot jets as the PO butchered them.

Originally posted by jkorn View Post
      I would like to add…. Be sure and keep the old parts you will be reusing separated so you can put them back into the carb they came out of. Like floats. I lay them all out on a towel and in separate piles linked to a carb. I trying to add a picture. Jeff
      Thanks, not my first rodeo but appreciate it. I use egg cartons. I would be certain to catch a fingernail / tool / whatever and mix them up hopelessly (or worse, dump them on the floor) if I laid them out loose like that...
      1979 XS1100F
      1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Forden View Post

Thanks, I was looking at that very kit--anyone have feedback on the quality of jets and float valve assembly? I try to get genuine Mikuni ideally, but float valves are almost $100 for four, and I need to replace at least two pilot jets as the PO butchered them.
        My recommendation is, don't do it. Niche Cycle sells genuine Mikuni parts. They respond very quickly. Wherever you choose to buy them, just buy Mikuni parts. The aftermarket stuff will only frustrate you.

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Reading back to the start of this thread, something I do on the carb top bolts is crack them loose initially at each corner. Then take them out a few turns at a time rotating around to the four bolts as the spring underneath puts the cap under tension to some extent and that helps keep the threads from getting the sideload as you take them out. As well, you could take the opposite corner bolts out fully, then bring out the remaining opposite corners a few turns at a time again to keep the cap from coming up unevenly. When putting them back in, start them all, be sure the top is seated around the diaphragm correctly then take them all down lightly, with finger pressure on the carb top to keep the top from shifting as you tighten the screws evenly.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Forden View Post

Thanks, not my first rodeo but appreciate it. I use egg cartons. I would be certain to catch a fingernail / tool / whatever and mix them up hopelessly (or worse, dump them on the floor) if I laid them out loose like that...
            I would have to agree with Marty on getting genuine Mikuni as far as the jets go. the float needle seat and float needles, washers and gaskets are generally ok. I have used them with no real problems. The jets I always stick with genuine Mikuni. I only posted the picture I did for reference on the parts themselves.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

I would have to agree with Marty on getting genuine Mikuni as far as the jets go. the float needle seat and float needles, washers and gaskets are generally ok. I have used them with no real problems. The jets I always stick with genuine Mikuni. I only posted the picture I did for reference on the parts themselves.
              Pretty much what I was thinking, I would only (have only) used Mikuni jets, but float needles/seats seem less likely to present problems. I need pilot jets, pilot air screws, and float needle assemblies. Everything else looks ok. I am hoping the little filter nets will transplant to new seats without the plastic breaking...

Everything has been stripped and dipped at this point, awaiting the new parts and reassembly. Oh, and to drill out the bracket screw that broke off in #4, to my surprise.

Thanks everyone!
              1979 XS1100F
              1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Working...
              X