O rings in float bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    The butterfly seals are a C. Not a standard o'ring. Many Mikuni carburetors use the same one. OEM is readily available. Mike's XS has them aftermarket. The BS38 & BS34 on the XS650 use the same seals.
    I'm not sure that you read my post, there were o rings in the float bowl that shouldn't have been there. Just rotting. See this picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YuePkYjqNtWD4Xdk9

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    Until carbs are synced with gauges, you can't depend on the idle working.
    Okay, I'll get the tool and do it right. I thought I could get away with a bench synch since the tech tool said it was enough, but that's probably ten or more years old. Can I ask what tool you have?
    78 E

Comment

I purchased mine about 15 years ago, and don't remember the brand. I did a quick search and came up with these two, one Amazon and one Ebay. The Amazon was a "recommended brand" from another online post, so it MAY be the better one.
      One thing you MUST do is buy some "T" fittings and tube so you can put all 4 gauges together to one vacuum source and adjust so they all read the same. I do this every time I use the tool, just to get everything correct. You also need to blip the throttle after each adjustment, no matter how small, and then re-check the gauges. as you get close to perfect, small things make a big difference. Once you are done, you can really tell the difference!
      Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/P1-Tools-Moto...14206467&psc=1
      Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABN-Vacuum-....c100677.m4598
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        Is the bottom port drilled all the way through??? If so, it is a fuel feed. The model E carbs had ports above the fuel feeds to accomadate breather tees that ran two hoses back to the air box. Did the pilot jets have screw-on caps?
        OK, I guell i am done with this thread. Good luck with those carbs!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          OK, I guell i am done with this thread. Good luck with those carbs!

Sorry to leave you hanging Skids! Biker Phil answered the question right after you saying the plugs were purely cosmetic so I just moved on.

I should have explained better that I didn't break the carbs apart so the fuel T's are still in and the throttle assembly(the part that you adjust to synch) is still together.
          78 E

Comment

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU DIDN'T TAKE THEM APART, ONLY THAT YOU TOOK THEM OFF!!
            Carbs MUST be synced EVERY time you pull them from the engine. Things move slightly, and that is all it takes. Ask motoman, Bonz, or any of the guys that have seen all the things that will go wrong with these bikes.
            Step 1: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13124
            Step 2: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75
            There is a WORLD of difference when things are set properly. You will find the bike seems to want to rev, or idle along, with no problems when the carbs are properly set up.
            Read through here for ideas on homemade sync tools, etc. http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Yeah, I get that and I'm going to synch them. I was talking about the holes on the outside of the carbs vs the fuel T.

I must not be explaining things well, I seem to be upsetting everyone. Just know I am heeding your advice, I'm not one to ask for help and then ignore what I'm told.
              78 E

Comment

OK, sorry about being so strong, but I didn't read what you were thinking. I know it's hard when we can't be face to face, working together on this. I love the way these run when right, and hate them when something is wrong. I've owned them longer than a lot of people, and have been through most things with the bikes.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Yeah, I get that, its like there are three conversations happening at once in these threads too. Now... how to convince the wife I NEED another tool
                  78 E

Comment

Easy, tell here it's $150 to have the local shop do it once, or $75 and you can do it as much as you need to.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

Ordered carb sync tool and was able to sync. Now my idle increases after warming up. Start procedure is below.

Pull choke all the way start bike
                      1/2 choke 60 seconds
                      zero choke start to ride
                      15 minutes into ride my idle goes from 1100rpm to 3500rpm

What do you pros think? Another carb clean?
                      78 E

Comment

adjust idle screw on carb

Howdy, first things, first,,,,,try adjusting the idle screw on front of carbs, NOT THE Throttle cable adjust,,,
                        1. Loosen throttle cable adjustment by twist grip so it is not pulling the throttle
                        2. warm up engine at least 5 minutes, ride or just let sit idling
                        3. adjust idle screw on carb in middle of carbs, engine side with finger or long screwdriver at its hot in there,,,,, pray

anyway, by doing your synch, it could be now that the carbs are efficient, the idle is way high,,,,so try this and get back to us.....Mike in Sun DIego
                        mike
                        1982 xj1100 maxim
                        1981 venture bagger
                        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                        1959 wife

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a try this week.
                          78 E

Comment

I'm in process of rebuilding my carbs--I ordered an o-ring kit but now that I have them apart, there are no o-rings to be found anywhere (or the little washer under the pilot screw). I thought maybe they disintegrated, but a couple people mentioned in passing in this thread that some of these BS34 carbs had no o-rings at all, is that correct? True in '79 throughout?
                            Thanks, Mike
                            1979 XS1100F
                            1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

There are no O Rings on the 78-79 early type carbs, only on the later type, 80-82.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

To verify what Phil said, here is a picture of the rebuild kits for your year model carbs. Notice the float needle seats only come with the metal washer that they sit on. The other big differences are the float needles do not have the rubber tips on them and the pilot jet tunnel screws thread into their respective tunnels with the heads exposed.
                                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                                81 LH
                                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X