Spectras 1100 and questions......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Spectra,

Just remember that 3rd gear is pretty close to 1:1 with speed and tach, so 3500 rpm = 35mph +/- a few mph, on a special anyways. Easy way for me to remember/tell what gear I'm in at times, so you can get up to 75-80 mph in 3rd!

Can't help much on cleaning the speedo, they are well sealed and take some destruction to get them OPEN. Other's have spritzed some lube in thru the back/light bulb or speedo drive holes, but can't remember which one, just have to be careful lest you get it on the face plate or front clear lens.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Easier to just replace the speedo than try and fix it. The 160 MPH Special speedos are getting pretty rare but you can get a 140 MPH one that matches off of an old 750. At least until you get yours fixed or find another 160.

There are 2 different faces so get the correct one to match the black tach. there's an ugly green one too but the numbers are different too.

I have a 750 speedo on my SG.

Figures.............as I have a chrome one and have a few black ones in the garage from another XS model.......

On the search now.
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Spectra,

Just remember that 3rd gear is pretty close to 1:1 with speed and tach, so 3500 rpm = 35mph +/- a few mph, on a special anyways. Easy way for me to remember/tell what gear I'm in at times, so you can get up to 75-80 mph in 3rd!

Can't help much on cleaning the speedo, they are well sealed and take some destruction to get them OPEN. Other's have spritzed some lube in thru the back/light bulb or speedo drive holes, but can't remember which one, just have to be careful lest you get it on the face plate or front clear lens.

T.C.

Well I have noted from day one would not go over 30 mph ? I did hit about 7K in 2nd I think and was still at 30mph. Sucks just when I thought I had it figured out.......
        79 SF

Comment

The chrome outside case is easy to change. It's the FACE of the speedo that is hard to change. I took a 140 from a 750 hat was in a chrome case and put it in my midnight special case. It looked stock, and as I didn't try to break that one the 140 was more than I needed. I didn't worry about the chrome band around the face, just taped it and painted black.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
          X