Spectras 1100 and questions......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectras 1100 and questions......

Ok am going to have a lot of questions so may as well start a thread in here..........working on getting it running right first but at the same time other things to.

New Dyna coils showed up today so mounted them and also added new wires and plugs. Fired right up but still had a little miss......

New Jets showed up today but waiting on floats. Found two that were crushed a little so a new set is on the way.

Ok have new shoes going on the XS this week so pulled the wheels and dismounted the tires and going to re paint the wheels before hand. Question is what to look for as I have things apart......I am going to also re place the pads and go over all the calipers as I have re build kits just in case.

Fork seals are in need so am going to do that also.

Should I pull the rear drive now as it seems like the thing to do since its so easy? Clean up the splines and re grease everything ?

These 1100s are new to me and actually like the way the rear wheel came off. Much easier than the chain drives......

Now looking at new exhaust as my 4 into 1 does not allow me to use the center stand.......I don't like that. Looking at MAK 4 into 1 or is there better out there? The one I have now has been bottomed out and has a 3" crack in one pipe. I could weld it up but is it even worth it?

79 SF

Can pull the drive for clean up and regrease splines if your so inclined.
    actually that is what that grease zerk is for on the driveline housing. Two of us here(Captain Zap and I) have proven that zerk angle and location is more than sufficient for shaft spline lubrication. I might add, my shaft tube assembly has NEVER been off since I bought the Venturer new in 1981. Bike now has 83K miles of use,,,,mostly long distance rides.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Can pull the drive for clean up and regrease splines if your so inclined.
      actually that is what that grease zerk is for on the driveline housing. Two of us here(Captain Zap and I) have proven that zerk angle and location is more than sufficient for shaft spline lubrication. I might add, my shaft tube assembly has NEVER been off since I bought the Venturer new in 1981. Bike now has 83K miles of use,,,,mostly long distance rides.
      I have thought of doing that. I am anal and would rather pull it all apart and grease it with what I like than add to the mess

I want to tear this thing down to the frame but........its a beast so will just go with what I am doing.
      79 SF

Comment

The Mac 4 into 1 with the flare tip mufflers is the way to go with Mac. The flare tip mufflers are the only ones that have have removable baffles.

I had to modify the baffles because the ones Mac uses are too restrictive. For my 79 engine anyway.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=power+loss
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I haven't really been following your journey. I'll jump in with my two cents anyway.

Is the bike new to you?
          Grease the swingarm bearings. It has probably never been done.

The upper steering head bearing is likely dry. Grease upper and lower.

One you replace the fork seals, get in the habit of replacing the fork oil routinely. It should probably be done about every third engine oil change. Not doing so will accelerate fork slider wear. New bikes have hard anodized sliders. The XS1100 does not.

Brake fluid should be placed annually.

Much of what needs to be done is intuitive. There is a list in the service and/or owners manual.

Best wishes!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            The Mac 4 into 1 with the flare tip mufflers is the way to go with Mac. The flare tip mufflers are the only ones that have have removable baffles.

I had to modify the baffles because the ones Mac uses are too restrictive. For my 79 engine anyway.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=power+loss
            That is what I was looking at the 4 to 1 with removable baffle. It says center stand does not need to be modified so that's what caught my eye.....I want a center stand.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            I haven't really been following your journey. I'll jump in with my two cents anyway.

Is the bike new to you?
            Grease the swingarm bearings. It has probably never been done.

The upper steering head bearing is likely dry. Grease upper and lower.

One you replace the fork seals, get in the habit of replacing the fork oil routinely. It should probably be done about every third engine oil change. Not doing so will accelerate fork slider wear. New bikes have hard anodized sliders. The XS1100 does not.

Brake fluid should be placed annually.

Much of what needs to be done is intuitive. There is a list in the service and/or owners manual.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the heads up and yes bike is new to me. Picked it up with a few issues. Hopefully those are almost fixed.

I was planning on cleaning up the shaft drive and re greasing everything on it. Need to go through the brakes so new fluid is a must.

I agree on the head bearing as the last 2 400s I did were dry and crusty......
            79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by spectra View Post
              That is what I was looking at the 4 to 1 with removable baffle. It says center stand does not need to be modified so that's what caught my eye.....I want a center stand.
              My bad, I meant to say the 4 into 2. I had a 4 into 1 Mac on my SF and even though it says you don't need to remove the center stand, it has to come off.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                My bad, I meant to say the 4 into 2. I had a 4 into 1 Mac on my SF and even though it says you don't need to remove the center stand, it has to come off.
                Yes I was wondering........I have a 4 into 1 super trap and love the sound except for the leaks where its cracked Oh well I actually like the 4 to 2 better but wanted black......all I can find is chrome. I am not one to polish things

Looks like I may be stuck with the chrome though.........also the pipes turn no matter what and that's what really bugs me.....
                79 SF

Comment

[QUOTE=spectra;502760]That is what I was looking at the 4 to 1 with removable baffle. It says center stand does not need to be modified so that's what caught my eye.....I want a center stand.

I have a 4-1 (something or other) exhaust and like the center stand too, but wouldn't haul one around even if I could. When I need to lift the bike I mount the stand, slide the bolts through, and up she goes. No spring or nuts needed. Probably takes a whole minute to get on and off. Guessing you could just carry one along if it was an absolute necessity.
                  1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
                  1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                  1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
                  1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
                  1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

Comment

...also the pipes turn no matter what and that's what really bugs me.....

OH! You mean the bluing.

Can't have everything.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

A Few Questions.............

woops............wanted something else........
                      Last edited by spectra; 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM.
                      79 SF

Comment

[QUOTE=Barbarosa;502764]

I have a 4-1 (something or other) exhaust and like the center stand too, but wouldn't haul one around even if I could. When I need to lift the bike I mount the stand, slide the bolts through, and up she goes. No spring or nuts needed. Probably takes a whole minute to get on and off. Guessing you could just carry one along if it was an absolute necessity.

Why no center stand?
                        79 SF

Comment

AFAIK, the Mac 4 into 1 is the only exhaust being manufactured for XS1100. (excluding Campbell X-pipe and stainless steel reproductions)

MAC Exhaust

Center stand retention is claimed, but I'm not convinced that's the case.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Used Special Exhaust

Used Special exhaust systems can be found for sale on occasion on EBay. One of those would allow reuse of the stand and would be original equipment. Also where a lot of sellers offer the Mac systems.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...haust&_sacat=0
                            Last edited by MPittma100; 09-10-2017, 07:43 PM.
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              AFAIK, the Mac 4 into 1 is the only exhaust being manufactured for XS1100. (excluding Campbell X-pipe and stainless steel reproductions)

MAC Exhaust

Center stand retention is claimed, but I'm not convinced that's the case.
                              Yes from MAC but here are plenty of people selling them in the aftermarket that have old stuff. I have found a few MAC exhausts on the web.
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X