No announcement yet.

Redonk's build and learning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like the weld on the fuse broke from vibration.... where the bar attaches to the end
    79 F, 81H Venturer parts bike
    92 cb750, 86 vt700, 80 ltd750
    Keep calm and ride on!

Comment

That sounds like you're still using the GLASS tube fuses, they have soldered ends and can be hard to see the filament inside.

IF so, you really should look at changing to the ATCO style solid fuses and holder. The brass pressure clips of the glass type also can weaken and fail as well.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That will be a nice winter project for me!
        Keep calm and ride on!

Comment

what is a good quote for powder coating a frame?
          Keep calm and ride on!

Comment

Originally posted by redonkulos366 View Post
            Just coating it ? Black or a special color ? I would say 75 to 100 bucks but I have a powder coater I throw a lot of work to so I get better deals on my own stuff.

I would say have the frame blasted first then powder coat it.
            79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by redonkulos366 View Post
              My powder coater charges $125 for a motorcycle frame, seems reasonable to me.
              79 SF

Comment

Wow, the estimate I got for a frame was much higher! Do you blast it yourself first?
                80 SG Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dansmith65 View Post
                  Wow, the estimate I got for a frame was much higher! Do you blast it yourself first?
                  Nope, he sandblasts everything before powder coating. I just had him restore a valve cover from an '82 XJ1100 that I'm reconditioning. Wish I could post a photo, he did a great job polishing all of the raised aluminum edges after he applied the black powder coat. Only $40 and had it done in two days! Guy works until 4 AM some nights. . .
                  79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Polkahero View Post
                    Nope, he sandblasts everything before powder coating. I just had him restore a valve cover from an '82 XJ1100 that I'm reconditioning. Wish I could post a photo, he did a great job polishing all of the raised aluminum edges after he applied the black powder coat. Only $40 and had it done in two days! Guy works until 4 AM some nights. . .
                    Wow, that sounds incredibly cheap! Perhaps that's why he's up till 4 am working?

I asked for a rough/ballpark estimate and was told $350-400 for a frame, not including the swingarm. Things are more expensive in Canada, generally speaking, but that's quite a difference to what you're paying.
                    80 SG Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dansmith65 View Post
                      Wow, that sounds incredibly cheap! Perhaps that's why he's up till 4 am working?

I asked for a rough/ballpark estimate and was told $350-400 for a frame, not including the swingarm. Things are more expensive in Canada, generally speaking, but that's quite a difference to what you're paying.
                      What part of Canada are you from? I have a friend in London, ON who doesn't pay much for powder coating services.

Yeah, he takes on a lot of projects so he keeps his costs down. Just wish my aluminum polisher was as cheap! I've got about 18 brushed aluminum pieces on this bike that will need to polished.
                      79 SF

Comment

Working...
                      X