No announcement yet.

Need help tuning the xs11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it started last night! However, I couldn't run it very long since those gaskets that I got in the rebuild kit leaked! UGH! They were just enough off that when I trimmed them they didn't have enough edge distance and they leaked. So, I ordered so new gaskets from MikesXS.com, which I should have done in the beginning! Oh well, damn kids don't listen! :P
    My new helmet showed up today so that is really exciting and I ordered some marine vinyl from Sailrite.com. If you get a chance check out their videos, they have 2 videos on recovering motorcycle seats and give you step by step instructions. I went with the Nauga Soft Saddle vinyl (http://www.sailrite.com/Nauga-Soft-Vinyl-Saddle-54) so it should look pretty good. I'm thinking I'll do the diamond pattern in the top panel with blue thread then plain on the boxing....we'll see, this'll be the first seat I have actually sewn up.
    Thanks Howard, I was thinking of getting a couple of those filters, where do you think I could get them? I have seen them before but not really sure where to look right off hand?
    Cheers!
    Tim
    1979 XS1100F
    4 into 1 Jardine, single POD airfilters, custom paint
    Branded title
    Work in progress since 2000

We have to get on! We have to get on! We have So much time and so little to do!.....strike that, reverse that!! :P

Comment

Tim, if you want to get as much meaningful help as possible, put your bike year and model in your tagline, along with any other relevant information. Nobody (at least me) wants to research to give you a correct answer.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        Tim, if you want to get as much meaningful help as possible, put your bike year and model in your tagline, along with any other relevant information. Nobody (at least me) wants to research to give you a correct answer.
        Gotcha....Sorry I thought that would be displayed...I fixed it.
        1979 XS1100F
        Branded title

We have to get on! We have to get on! We have So much time and so little to do!.....strike that, reverse that!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by flyingdakota View Post
          Gotcha....Sorry I thought that would be displayed...I fixed it.
          The seat material is going to look good. It seems like it would be durable and the website claims it is weather resistant, yet it is recommended for indoor use? That is interesting that you made your own lettering (YAMAHA). I just used Fram 3515(?) inline fuel filters on the ends of the breather hoses of the carbs (on the 78E with K&N pods). It is a good idea to use "velocity stacks" to try and get straight-line flow for the oval hole at the tops of the carbs.

You will find it challenging to get the jetting right, but at least the carbs are easy on/ easy off. With both the 4-into-1 Jardine header and the pods, there was somewhat of a compromise in top-end speed at about 95mph at the mile-high elevation and higher. 150 mains blackened plugs for me and 147.5 was about right. 142 mains definitely caused fuel starvation. I had no problem with low-end torque at all.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey skids!
            Thanks for the reply! Yeah I made the tank badge out of mild steel, had them laser cut, then welded them together. I didn't like the plastic ones and I am one to be different, not to "be the same" if you know what I mean. Yeah I am hoping the vinyl will hold out, I did not see the recommend to use indoors though...but I'll take a look. I figured if it was made for marine use it would be all wx.
            Cool I'll look for the filter, and the "velocity stacks" not sure what you are referring to there. Unless it is another form of the "PODS"?
            Yeah being over 5k above sea level would cause a rich mixture with a 150. I am only 200 ft MSL so since I was running lean I figured I would bump up the jets a few sizes. I got all the float even, with a gauge that I fabbed up out of aluminum, one of them was way off and the other 3 weren't too bad, but now they are all the same. So i am hoping once I get the new bowl gaskets so I can stop the leak that I induced, that i can get them sync'd and be off and riding!
            Cheers!
            Tim
            1979 XS1100F
            Branded title

Comment

I just have to say that after reading this thread I can hardly believe some of the advice given.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                I just have to say that after reading this thread I can hardly believe some of the advice given.
                Well then, give some of your own advice.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I am going to ditto Skids on this... It's been a day since the proclamation, it's your dime now, shoot.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

.....then, how bout' this: use the stock airbox, as it is designed to maintain correct airflow in order for the vacuum slides to operate at CORRECT time and CORRECT rate based on vacuum draw, in other words, the vacuum diaphrams design and associated springs on topside of diaphrams are designed and built so as to match venturi velocity and intake air flow for smooth engine operation through all rpm ranges. That design kinda' goes array when pods for intake are substituted for stock airbox. BTW, this also applies to exhaust other than stock also. JAT to consider.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Ras,

Folks are gonna do what they are going to do. Yes, Brant is correct in that OEM is what was engineered/designed for best ALL AROUND PERFORMANCE. But for a variety of reasons, like they took the airbox apart too far and can't put it back together, or they are just frustrated with the time/effort required to R&R the carbs with the airbox; the airbox got damaged, burned, etc.; they don't like the look and want the appearance and or easier access the Pods provide; they like the SOUND that the Pods provide; they like the appearance/blink factor the Pods provide, etc, etc.

SO...we are just trying to provide info on what helps the PODS work the best that they can vs. the OEM airbox.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey guys!
                        Easy now we don't need to get into a shooting match here and this aint fb! Again I appreciate everyones advice and suggestions and experience here. When I bought this bike 17 years ago it didnt even have an airbox. It ran ok when I cleaned it up and I just want to make it run better and be reliable...I have put over 40k miles on it and it has never let me down. It was a work horse before now I just want to enjoy riding it. I respect the guys that are pureists and keep them stock and ride them as such. I'm just trying to make the bike better in the configuration I have...it has a salvaged title so I can't even give it away.....now with that said I ran into another road block....I got the gaskets from Mikesxs.com and I'm having the same problem of fit....I posted 2 photos on the share link which I'll include again here...https://goo.gl/photos/BkN24hUZWWS7Nb1T7 ....fits 'ok' one way but covers up the holes in the base of the carb....the other way totally off?!? And I can't verify in manual since it isnt clear on the position...Please help!
                        Thank you!
                        Cheers!
                        Tim
                        1979 XS1100F
                        Branded title

Comment

Hey Tim,

The first picture with the labels on the gasket surface showing is the correct way. The little hole besides the Float Posts doesn't do anything, so it can be blocked. The little hole on the Enrichener side of the carb provides venting, and the gasket still allows a little space for air to get thru it even though it's not completely open. If you had a small enough hole punch/leather punch you could widen that little one a little bit if you were worried about it.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks T.C.!
                            I was wondering about that but figured if there was something cut in the gasket thats the way it should've fit....gota pull outa 'airplane mode' I guess ;-) ok I'll put those in that way tomorrow...I have a Whitney punch that I can trim it slightly.
                            Thanks a heap!
                            Cheers!
                            Tim
                            1979 XS1100F
                            Branded title

Comment

Working...
                            X