No announcement yet.

Possible NEW Datsun/Nissan 720 Ohm Pick-up Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha had a penchant for Mopar-ish electronics and design, I think a Chrysler pick-up coil might work. Yamaha/Hitachi wants a 720 Ohm 20% pick-up coil and about the same trigger voltage from what I can tell. That's almost 900 Ohms down to 575 Ohms which amazingly enough is in the same ballpark as my old Duster distrubutor pick-up.

A $7 part would be really nice if I can get it to bolt up without too much trimming.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Scott,

From these first 2 photos, you eluded that the upper coil portion could be cut from the plate with enough clearance to LOWER it to fit within the space behind the timing plate.

This one shows that the position of the external pickup portion essentially aligns with the OEM one with regards to it's distance from the swivel point end.

And so grafting the new one ONTO the OEM mounting plate...not sure exactly how, perhaps some JB Weld, then the OEM plate should allow the required adjustment range to be able to obtain the proper space/air gap?

Trying to weld it to the OEM plate probably wouldn't work due to the extreme heat involved melting the PU housing/parts. Not sure if silver soldering would be able to withstand the engine heat afterwards??

It does look like there's more room to cut further upwards at the mounting tang portion, so perhaps some overlap of the OEM with the new one might allow a bolt/nut combo along with the JB Weld along the base?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I can do that, T.C. I haven't dropped the idea but I'm out of coils.

I have to get another coil and they're about thirty bucks new so I was really hoping the coils could be cut out and just swapped. A jig/template will make sure two new Datsun coils match each other when they're mounted but I would rather not do that, it adds "Just one more thing!" to the mod.

I ordered a left-hand crankshaft seal from NAPA for Columbo's engine and it'll be here tomorrow. I'm going to check out a basic Chrysler part while I'm out and running around and see what they want for a Datsun coil while I'm at it.
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

pick up coils

In 2004, I bought a pair of pick up coils for my F, they were called pulser coils, and claimed to be a new design. Mine are still working flawlessly. I had thought they were from parts n more or bike bandit, but I can't find them on either site. They seemed to have much better wires. I wonder what other sites I might have found them on. If I remember correctly, they were quite pricey, but have lasted ever since.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Rover, if you remember what/where you found them, that might help. Pulser, pick-up, trigger, et al, they're pretty much the same thing with different names.

I got the engine seal this afternoon from NAPA but they didn't have the Chrysler or Datsun pick-up coils, I'll have to try O'Reilly and Autozone and see if they have them because I don't want to order them on-line this time around.
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Maybe....

Autozone/Duralast CR-117 also on Amazon.com:

Amazon.com | Wells CR117 Chrysler Dual Pick-up | $17.70 & FREE Shipping

I need to find the resistance but this looks better than slicing and dicing!
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

I hope that it has stranded wires. One thing that I recognized when I did the pickup coil wire fix on one of mine, the wires are bent at a sharp angle sometimes. I looped the wires to minimize the radius of bending. I have had no issues with that in about 10 years after the fix.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  I hope that it has stranded wires. One thing that I recognized when I did the pickup coil wire fix on one of mine, the wires are bent at a sharp angle sometimes. I looped the wires to minimize the radius of bending. I have had no issues with that in about 10 years after the fix.
                  They should have stranded wires, probably not the supple stranded copper with the high-temp jackets like the original Yamaha pick-ups but they'll flex, the plate they're mounted on is the distributor vacuum advance plate. I ordered the part at Autozone because they sent me a 20% Discount coupon and snagged another set of Iridium plugs while I there. As I was leaving I had to help a kid get his new-to-him '99 Suzuki GS500 twin running.

The poor guy just bought the bike a week ago and it quit running on him twice, the second time he pushed it into the Autozone parking lot and asked for some help. It turned out he was low on gas and hadn't switched to Reserve or the fuel tap vacuum diaphagm is busted because it fired up and kept runnning after he put it on Prime. We rode straight to Simi Cycles and the monkanics are checking it for him.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

[QUOTE=3Phase;500180]Rover, if you remember what/where you found them, that might help. Pulser, pick-up, trigger, et al, they're pretty much the same thing with different names.

This was back when I knew little about finding parts, so I am quite sure it was one of the two. I went on partsnmore, and they had a diagram of the pick up unit, and the pulsers were not listed in the part numbers. Unobtainium. Too bad, cause if those were the ones I bought, they have held up for some 70K miles, 13 years and are still good.
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Hey Scott,

Did a little search, found this site:
                      http://www.wellsve.com/parts/
                      And then plugged in the CR117 into the parts search, came up with that part, and then saw the TESTING information. It says the OHM range is only 285-410 ! Sorry!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

335 Ohm Wells CR-117 Dual Pick-up Coils - Maybe

T.C., I picked up the pick-up coils this afternoon. The new pick-ups are 180 degrees apart, they're not too tall and they're not molded in plastic.

The coils and permanment magnets are backward from the XS1100 part.
                        If the coil polarity is reversed, I can just switch the wires and it's all good.

The sad part is that you're correct, Yamaha wants a 20%, 575 Ohm minimum on the stock pick-coils and 337 Ohms for the new CR-117 is low

It might might work and it might not work, everything else requires minimal modification.

The black mark I made on the original timing plate
                        lines up nicely with the CR-717 pick-up coil inductor tip.

Coil #1 is 337 Ohms

Coil #2 is 339 Ohms

The slideshow with more pictures.
                        Wells/Duralast CR-717 dual pick-up coils and the XS1100 timing assembly
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Would it be possible to add a resistor in line to bring it up to 720ish? Would something like that work?
                          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
                            Would it be possible to add a resistor in line to bring it up to 720ish? Would something like that work?
                            It's not that simple but I like the positive thinking.

The low resistance means there might not be enough copper wire in the pick-up coil to make a pulse that can trigger the TCI. It might be like that infamous amusement park game where the hammer swings but can't ring the bell.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Working...
                            X