Possible NEW Datsun/Nissan 720 Ohm Pick-up Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible NEW Datsun/Nissan 720 Ohm Pick-up Coils

I found some possible NEW distributor pick-up coils that are supposed to be 720 Ohms.

They'd need new high-temp wires for the XS11 ignition. A couple of pictures of the part make it look like the coil's molded mount pedestal might be too tall and need a pedicure to fit under the timing indicator dial but they're made by several different manufacturers like AC Delco.

I picked up the last one from a Rockauto.com wholesaler close-out for twelve bucks, shipped, so I'll see if it can be modified. If it works out, I'll buy another one and put some new pick-up coils on my '80G

NISSAN 1978 280Z 2.8L L6 Ignition Distributor Pickup Coil
    NISSAN 1978 B210 1.4L L4 Ignition Distributor Pickup Coil

Rockauto.com | NISSAN | 1978 | B210 | 1.4L L4 | Ignition | Distributor Pickup Coil ~$35 each
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Hey Scott,

During the recent discussions about PU coil wires and such, I was wondering about why we couldn't find an alternative PU coil vs. the OEM's, and now it looks like you may have done so. We'll be watching with baited breath for your results, and possible new MOD tech tip.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey Scott,

During the recent discussions about PU coil wires and such, I was wondering about why we couldn't find an alternative PU coil vs. the OEM's, and now it looks like you may have done so. We'll be watching with baited breath for your results, and possible new MOD tech tip.

T.C.
      That recent post is what prompted me to look around, T.C., we can change wires until the proverbial cows come home but the pick-up coils themselves aren't getting any younger and won't work better with new wires.

I found a slightly better picture of the Datsun pick-up coil and it looks like there's a skinny "foot" to raise it up off the advance plate for the automotive distributor reluctor.

If the coil itself is 720 Ohms, the foot can probably be trimmed and the metal mount screwed, glued and tattooed back in place if it doesn't fit under the XS11 Timing Wheel as-is right out of the box.

-- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hope they are not too wide, the picture looks like they might be.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Looking at Scott's photo, I think the "foot" needs to go. other than that they should fit ! Good find!!!!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have an angle grinder and I'm not afraid to use it!

I might be able to use some hardened washers to shim the reluctor and Timing Wheel 'up' enough to leave the pick-up coil alone but I'll know more after I have the part in my hand.

I just got the shipping confirmation:
            USPS Item Arrived at USPS Origin Facility for Shipment
            (gnarly Tracking Number here)
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

The New Datsun Pick-Up Coil Has Arrived

Inductor alignment MISMATCH so it is NOT a drop-in replacement.

It DOES measure 751 Ohms so it can be modified and it MIGHT work.

Columbo's working pick-up coils are 761 and 762 Ohms
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

First question. Is it too tall? Since the mounting holes need to be fixed. What if you move the coil over and use the slotted hole and fix the fixed hole. That would put the mismatch closer. And then just adjust the timing. Wouldn't that work? And of course you would need to replace both coils with the Datsuns.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Just a quick opinion.. looks like a bit of fabrication and detailed testing this might actually work. great way to think outside the box. i am curious about the pickup coils them self. i have discovered that when temperatures rise the resistance changes in the pick up coils. this in tern changes ignition signals. i would verify temp rise compared to stock pick up before going to far. this might run great cold but on a hot 100 degree day might start misfiring or change your timing based on resistance and pickup. oops misread had to edit...lol
                  Last edited by drake791100; 06-23-2017, 06:07 AM.
                  79 XS1100 from a box. still working on bugs.
                  82 cb750kdohc
                  95 vt1100c2 ACE
                  2000 valkyrie

Comment

Red, I checked most of this yesterday evening but I was tired and didn't take pictures.

Drake, I may be able to test the inductance of the two pick-up coils.
                    I have three (one of each type) SainSmart pocket oscilloscopes.
                    They all have built-in frequency generators so I can Shake 'n Bake the ignition parts on the bench instead of on a running bike or a mock-up of a running bike but that'll have to be done later.
                    Right now I have my '80G engine to work on and I don't want to have to clean the cases again after pursuing a wild goose and wrestling it to the dinner table, ready to eat.

The slotted hole makes the gap too wide and it can't be adjusted.

I can 'set' the coil correctly but it won't hold.

The back side of the timing assembly shows another problem.
                    Yes, I know it needs to be cleaned....
                    The mechanical advance and vacuum advance bearing need grease too.

There is a raised bump on the Datsun foot that would have to be
                    ground off to allow it to sit flush on the plate.

The Datsun pick-up coil is too tall.
                    There is no simple way to raise the Reluctor to match the Inductor Tip.

The OEM pick-up coil and Reluctor height both match, of course.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

You could just remake that center hollow shaft. Just make it a little taller so the reluctant ends up where you want it.
                      That part would be fairly easy to machine.

As far as positioning the coils, you could just drill & tap a new hole so the new coil can bolt right to the plate.

Will the side cover fit over it? If so, that looks doable.

I would be willing to make the part to see if it works.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey Scott,

How's the pickup coil mounted to the mounting plate? Is it glued, or is it screwed to it?? IF glued...and if the old coils are toast anyways, then you could remove the mounting plate from the old ones and put them on the new one. Another thing I was thinking with regards to lowering the height of the new coil would be to make mounting plate that would allow the coil to sit flush against the timing plate....have the mounting plate somehow with a cutout so that it would attach to the coil more on the side of the coil vs. on it's bottom. That looks like it would give you a couple of more mm's of depth adjustment to come closer to the reluctor without necessarily doing such heavy machinging work on the reluctor. I would think you could cut out a mounting plate to match the holes of the old one, but have it allow the coil to sit flush and secure it on the sides of coil AWAY from the pickup portion.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                          You could just remake that center hollow shaft. Just make it a little taller so the reluctant ends up where you want it.
                          That part would be fairly easy to machine.

As far as positioning the coils, you could just drill & tap a new hole so the new coil can bolt right to the plate.

Will the side cover fit over it? If so, that looks doable.

I would be willing to make the part to see if it works.
                          The whole mechanical advance would have to be remade to go with a taller reluctor.
                          I don't think it would fit under the engine timing cover but I'll check it tomorrow anyway just to be sure.
                          People still manage to do it but the two nubs on the top of the shaft are shaped so you don't bolt the Timing Wheel 180 off.

Here's the part broken down for service:-

REPOST: The Mechanical (centrifugal) Advance

I did some studying today and the metal frame for the pick-up coil is molded in the plastic, the 'foot' can't really be cut off.
                          I'm thinking about a pick-up coil-ectomy from the Datsun part similar to fixing the spark plug wires on the stock ignition coils.
                          Transplanting the new coil to the Yamaha part would solve a metric boatload of 'issues'.

Here's a picture of a generic pick-up coil, imagine it covered in plastic:-

Holbrook Tech | Ignition Systems | Trigger Wheel and Pickup Coil

Last edited by 3Phase; 06-23-2017, 10:48 PM.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

No Go.

The Timing Wheel won't fit.

The Timing Cover hits the assembly.

Dig in to the Datsun pick-up coil.

The molded plastic was easy to cut but it was thoroughly stuck to the frame and tough to get off of the metal.

No, the coil cannot be cut out of the molded plastic.

Yes, the coil bobbin is a slip fit over the inductor.

That was fun!

Cutting off the Datsun pick-up coil foot isn't too difficult but the Yamaha coil is doubtlessly made the same way.

The Datsun coil would have to be grafted EXACTLY to the old Yamaha foot or the ignition timing and air gaps would be different between the two coils and the reluctor.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

I once contacted Pertronics http://www.pertronix.com/ to see if they might be interested in making them for us. Told me that they would not as there is not enough interest. Yet they still make them that fit older stuff like Pinto's and even Bobcats. Maybe someone with a better gift of gab should ask again. They are a great product that anyone using old point system could utilize, if they make the kit for your vehicle. I changed a set in a 74 Ford f-100 and never looked back and it has been about 10yrs.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X