No announcement yet.

My '80G Is Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian, I can't do Facebook, I deactivated my account. What's it about?

If you look at the first picture in my initial post you can see my XJ, my '80G frame, and my '97 Toyota Whitehawk with no title and no engine in it.

I'm 100% motorcycle, it isn't about a badge for me, I've done the old bike routine several times over and then some in fifty years of riding.
    It usually works but sometimes it fails spectacularly and I've managed to not crash and not die when that happens.

I dearly love my old bikes but I need something that's at least from the current century for a daily rider. Long distance rally riding is another story, I can and have made a bike from parts for that, it's what I've been doing this morning, actually.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Scott

Its about an Iron Butt Rider

A 1974 GT 750 completed the 2017 Iron Butt Rally riding almost 9,000 miles in 11 days

added comment - "I was in Allen, TX, for checkpoints 1 and 2. It was great to see this oil-burner come and go!! A '77 GL1000 also completed the IBR, finishing in 17th place.....not bad for a rookie riding a 40 year old machine!!"

http://imgur.com/a/6msiC

I understand your experience has been fulsome. I am just getting re-started after many years of doing SFA, and for now the 78e is all I can manage financially. I imagine I will be looking at modern machines when my wallet will support it someday too.
      Last edited by dbbrian; 07-08-2017, 12:45 PM.
      '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
      '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
      '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Heh, Iron Butt riding isn't something I've done on purpose. I've done equivalents to get somewhere I had to be but I never planned it out ahead of time!

A '78 will run really well for you if it's in good mechanical shape, some of the parts can't be replaced but some you can substitute. Unless you have spare money for a modern bike and the support costs and you ride enough to actually need one, stick with your XS. The XS is easy to maintain and work on without a computer and it's an all-around tough bike. Enjoy it!
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          Holy Toledo! That is an impressive bike, I would like the engine!

If they'd done a shaft drive instead of throwing energy away to turn its perfectly good inline rotation ninety degrees for a chain it might be interesting to me but I'll never adjust or buy another chain in my life.

Someone has hung the rear brake caliper and its leading hose down by the bottom of the rim in the road-garbage path in an attempt to mimic Formula One braking's low center of gravity on a street machine. You now have a sport bike with insane horsepower, torque, and integrated luggage but it can only tour safely on pre-cleared and maintained routes.
          They will sell you an engine for $10k. The engines are installed into boats and 4-wheelers.

They sell about as many engines as bikes; 200-300 per year.
          82 XJ1100 - sold
          96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
          2000 ZRX1100 - sold
          2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
            They will sell you an engine for $10k. The engines are installed into boats and 4-wheelers.

They sell about as many engines as bikes; 200-300 per year.
            Is that all? Heck, I'll take two in case I need a spare!

I put Columbo's engine on hold. If I have time I'll finish assembling it before the rally but I need to get the XJ fixed first so I tore it down and split the engine case.

Here's a trick I thought up this afternoon when I had to remove the u-joint bolts and couldn't find my block of wood for the rear wheel.
            Use the rear brake to hold the rear wheel.

Flip the brake lever around, apply the brake and hold it with a breaker bar.

These pictures are all full size, click for a larger image.
            The bearings.

#2 rod bearing is toasted.

The #2 rod journal is bad, tomorrow I'm fitting a good crankshaft with new main and rod bearings.
            I should have done that in the first place instead of trying wasting time trying to save a sacked crankshaft.

-- Scott
            _____

Comment

Keep the sand out!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                Keep the sand out!
                No sand, it was a failed attempt to rehabilitate the bad #2 rod journal, that's almost exactly how it looked when I opened it up the first time.

Orignal teardown.

#2 rod bearing oil clearance is 0.001" with a 'new' crankshaft that's not messed up.
                All mains are 0.0015" to 0.0002".

-- Scott
                _____

Comment

Sorry. The link did not work.
                  Last edited by skids; 07-09-2017, 06:06 PM. Reason: Invalid link
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    Sorry. The link did not work.
                    That's alright, Sid, what was the link about?

The XJ engine's back together with a 'new' crank, all new Blue bearings and the timing dots lined up first try.

Ready to go back in the frame, it's like deja vu all over again!
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

'Crunch-time', but with the ambition/work you've put into this, lookin' like your gonna actually pull it off!
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        'Crunch-time', but with the ambition/work you've put into this, lookin' like your gonna actually pull it off!
                        Tomorrow it goes back in the frame, tonight I'm too pooped to pop.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Firing it up tomorrow!

I need an o-ring for the oil pump. I'll have to run to the parts store in the morning so I'm charging the battery tonight.

The exhaust pipes are all that's left.

I found four spare parts as I was cleaning up.

If you can't guess where they go, highlight the text between the quotes below with your mouse to see the answer!

"The four bolts hold the cam chain guide assembly in the upper engine case but they're not from the XJ.
                          There's nothing more thrilling than finding spare parts when you've finished an engine!
                          "
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Fifth one on left goes in tool-box.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Fifth one on left goes in tool-box.
                              Yes, yes it does!

I should have turned it so the size was visible but it's a 10mm, 3/8" drive socket.
                              -- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Well, least got one...fairly correct. Other four, plus its an XJ.....would just be a guess anyways....thinkin' maybe external accessable.

Comment

Working...
                                X