No announcement yet.

My '80G Is Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually been looking at a few FJRs, a couple of Connies, a gaggle of Guzzis and an Aprilia Caponord. I checked out a hassle of Harleys too, they have some totally awesome bikes with that new M8 that's had relatively few real-world problems and no TSBs on a first-release new engine.

I'm basically tired of bikes with no parts, I need something more recent I can ride that's durable and it's not like using classic Lois XIV furniture to clean and polish my boots.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yamaha is bringing out a new tourer, the latest iteration of the Venture. An all new 1,854cc V-twin with a heck-acious 126 ft/lbs at the crank. In my latest Rider magazine they state a redline of 4,750 rpm, holy cow can you say torque again?

They also state a five year warranty, but break it down to one year of the factory warranty and four additional years of Yamaha extended service (Y.E.S) This is all included in the price however I don't know if the additional four years has any legitimate exclusions that make it seem more than it really is.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        I've actually been looking at a few FJRs, a couple of Connies, a gaggle of Guzzis and an Aprilia Caponord. I checked out a hassle of Harleys too, they have some totally awesome bikes with that new M8 that's had relatively few real-world problems and no TSBs on a first-release new engine.

I'm basically tired of bikes with no parts, I need something more recent I can ride that's durable and it's not like using classic Lois XIV furniture to clean and polish my boots.
        Indeed this is the dilemma we all face as both ourselves and these bikes age..they become less practical as everyday rides or even handle the full time duties of a serious sport touring machine.. yes these are cool bikes and they are great to have for the rallies..but they shouldnt be the main ride..at least not for me and apparently a few others as well. Ofc there are some folks i know that are still using their 35+year old bikes as their main rides...
        Hope to also join the ranks of those opting for a more up to date ride..An FJR13 is in my future as well..I have had the Hondas and its Yamaha's turn in the sport tourer genre...perhaps I will somehow resurrect the old bike..but theres not much motivation to do so at this point in time..
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
          Yamaha is bringing out a new tourer, the latest iteration of the Venture. An all new 1,854cc V-twin with a heck-acious 126 ft/lbs at the crank. In my latest Rider magazine they state a redline of 4,750 rpm, holy cow can you say torque again?

They also state a five year warranty, but break it down to one year of the factory warranty and four additional years of Yamaha extended service (Y.E.S) This is all included in the price however I don't know if the additional four years has any legitimate exclusions that make it seem more than it really is.
          That thing is a behemoth..too big for me...its gotta be at least 900 lbs...no thanks..besides its V twin..boo
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yamaha has lost their minds.

The Star warranty's about the same as HD 1 year plus extended options.
            They've got the Yamaha Sure-Park System, an electric motor with forward and reverse for parking your Star like a Goldwing but the Star Transcon costs more than a new Electra Glide Ultra Classic. At $26,999 MSRP, it's up dead even with the Harley Ultra Limited. All Ultra-whatever models have the dual-cooling water and oil setup in the fairing lowers for the new 107 engine instead of just air and oil and no lowers on the regular models. I'm impressed with the new M8 but someone needs to smack an engineer up side of the head and run a water line to the front cylinder too instead of just the rear.

MSRP*
            $26,999 - Granite Gray - Transcontinental Option Package - Available from September 2017
            $26,999 - Raspberry Metallic - Transcontinental Option Package - Available from September 2017
            $24,999 - Granite Gray - Available from September 2017
            $24,999 - Raspberry Metallic - Available from September 2017

*Transcontinental Option Package*
            Riders that step up to the Star Venture Transcontinental Option Package benefit from a range of options, with enhanced infotainment features including GPS navigation, SiriusXM®, additional speakers and Yamaha’s exclusive Dual Zone audio control. Standard LED fog lights, additional onboard storage and an alarmed security system round out the package.

Engine Type: 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled OHV V-twin; 8 valves
            Bore x Stroke: 100.0mm x 118.0mm
            Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
            Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T and D-Mode
            IgnitionTCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
            Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper wet clutch
            Final Drive: Belt

Harley MSRP includes more and better gear with an Infotainment/GPS for less than the Yamaha Tanscontinental Option Package.

2017 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide® Ultra Classic®
            MSRP: $24,149
            Model Type: Touring
            Engine Size: Milwaukee-Eight™ 107 cu. in. (1746 cc)
            Bore x Stroke: 3.937 x 4.375 in. (‪99.9998mm‬ x ‪111.125‬mm)
            Torque:111.4 ft. - lb. @ 3,250
            Compression Ratio: 10:1
            Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
            Fuel Capacity: 6 gal.
            MPG Rating: Combined City / Hwy - 45 mpg
            Color: Vivid Black
            Transmission: 6-speed Cruise Drive®
            Final Drive: Belt

Of the two I'd take the 'Glide and never look back but the first thing I'd do is see if there's a way to take out that Infotainment/stereo/Bluetooth/alarm/GPS thing in the fairing and turn the space back into a useful glove box that just holds my gloves and doesn't try to talk to me at wierd times. It's a really impressive setup though.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

My biggest turn off on the Harley is the non-ending weekend warrior image with guys that put loud pipes on them to make up for lack of other things to ride their sweetie to the bar. Or something like that.

As well, Harley's are not unique and I don't like riding around on something that I would feel like I passed myself going the other way on a regular basis.

I would bet Yamaha will sell their full complement of the new Venture the first year and time will tell if it becomes a lasting bike in their line up.

One of the best values in a touring bike is the Triumph Rocket III. That engine eclipses anything else on the touting market and the price is very moderate for a bike with good features but not gadgetry frills. A riding buddy of mine owned a Rocket III Roadster for a few years and I spent hundreds of miles on it. The most incredible torque experience you will ever find.
              Last edited by Bonz; 07-03-2017, 07:51 AM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

This was exactly my thinking when I talked myself into the FJR. A close call on a break down (12 miles from home on the tail end of a 3000 mile trip) and several friends having breakdowns on trips made me leary of touring on the XS anymore. I know any bike can suffer a mechanical problem and break down. But at least with a newer bike, I have a chance of getting to a dealer and finding a part.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

That is one reason I'm on a Connie now. I REALLY WANTED the FJR, but I was looking at used (all I can afford) and the dealer that had one that would work for me was an idiot. I had ridden the Connie at the dealer in Hollister, and except for the GPS the PO had installed, I liked it. The down side the the valve adjustment takes a full day, IF you know what you are doing! After looking at a photo of the engine with the valve cover removed, I paid $1,400 to let a local, GOOD mechanic work on it. It would have taken me 2 weeks to get the job done the first time. I think the FJR is a little better about space, and so easier to get the service done. Also, the Connie does NOT have the battery for added extras like cruise unless you replace the stock battery with one of the $250 Li models.
                  Scott, I know you keep looking, so hang in there, something that fits is bound to show up!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray, my '80G fits fine when it's running.

For 2017, Yamah dropped the FJR1300A for the US market but those lucky Canucks can still get the FJR1300ABS up there in TGWN.

After some drooling whilst browsering through Cycletrader and fiddling with the range/models:-

NEW 2015 Yamaha FJR1300ES
                    $12,999
                    Temecula Motorsports in Murrieta, California

Used 2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
                    2,565 miles
                    $11,999.00
                    Burbank BMW

Used 2015 YAMAHA FJR1300ES
                    Low miles
                    $10,490
                    Pacific Motorsports in Harbor City, CA

The only thing not available on these older bikes in the 2015 - 2017 FJR model revamp is the leaning LEDs that came out for the 2017 model.

For a slightly older FJR:-

Used Yamaha 2007 FJR 1300A
                    9,233 miles
                    $5,999
                    Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo Beach, CA

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                    This was exactly my thinking when I talked myself into the FJR. A close call on a break down (12 miles from home on the tail end of a 3000 mile trip) and several friends having breakdowns on trips made me leary of touring on the XS anymore. I know any bike can suffer a mechanical problem and break down. But at least with a newer bike, I have a chance of getting to a dealer and finding a part.
                    The XS and XJs are fantastic bikes but it's almost getting down to comparing used parts to see if your used parts are in better shape than my used parts! On the plus side: parts swap like Legos, used parts are still plentiful and not all that expensive but on the minus side, they're still used. I don't want to get rid of my bikes but I need something that doesn't make the girl at the counter roll her eyes and giggle when I try to order parts or accessories for a bike that was made a couple of decades before she was.

My biggest turn off on the Harley is the non-ending weekend warrior image with guys that put loud pipes on them to make up for lack of other things to ride their sweetie to the bar. Or something like that.

As well, Harley's are not unique and I don't like riding around on something that I would feel like I passed myself going the other way on a regular basis.

I would bet Yamaha will sell their full complement of the new Venture the first year and time will tell if it becomes a lasting bike in their line up.

One of the best values in a touring bike is the Triumph Rocket III. That engine eclipses anything else on the touting market and the price is very moderate for a bike with good features but not gadgetry frills. A riding buddy of mine owned a Rocket III Roadster for a few years and I spent hundreds of miles on it. The most incredible torque experience you will ever find.
                    Meh, I don't care for anyone's weekend warrior crowd or the toxic HD culture either but Howard, that new M8 engine is a work of art and so are the bikes that have them. If you feel like you just have too much money and need to get rid of some of it then you want the new 114 cu. in. (1868 cc) M8 engine that's only available in the new CVO line and not the plain old new 107 in the lesser models. You have to plunk down forty grand for a CVO with that engine so Yamaha's not the only company with delusions of grandeur that's too proud of their product. I'm sure Yamaha will sell every one of their shining Stars because they're obviously trying to lure some of the crazy people that might even buy his and hers Trans Stars for about $52K instead of just one CVO for $40K. Yeah, they're out there.

I liked the Heritage Softail, it only has the 103" Twinkie engine but it's a beautiful bike:-

NEW 2017 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail® Classic
                    MSRP: $18,299
                    Engine Size: 103.1 cu in (1689.50 cc)
                    Color:Crushed Ice Pearl / Frosted Teal Pearl
                    Six speed transmission and belt drive ~42 mpg

I sat on a Triumph Trophy SE, it's a solid machine and it's light years ahead of the Trumpet twin that I almost bought last year but it's a little wide for me. Well, not too wide for me, personally, it'd be great in the other 49 States where you can't share but in California I'd be, like, pinball flipping my way down the lane and bouncing off the other drivers, that's not how we're supposed to share.

This is the bike everyone's trying to beat and can't, those crazy Chermans:-

NEW BMW K 1600 GTL
                    2018 MSRP starting at $25,595 (including ABS Pro)

Engine: Liquid cooled, 4-stroke in-line 6-cylinder engine, four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication
                    Bore x stroke: 72 mm x 67.5 mm (2.835" x ‪2.657")
                    Capacity: 1,649 cc
                    Rated output: 160 hp (118 kW) at 7,750 rpm
                    Max. torque: 129 lb-ft (175 Nm) at 5,250 rpm

Mixture control / engine management: Electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle system
                    Maximum speed: Over 125 mph

Fuel Consumption: 41 mpg (WMTC)
                    Fuel: Premium unleaded

Clutch: Multi-plate wet clutch, hydraulically operated
                    Gearbox: Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical cut gears
                    Final Drive: Shaft drive 2.75:1

$25-point-6K for next year's V-6 Beemer, not an inline 6, a flat four, V-4, flat twin, v-twin or inverted v-twin.

V-6.

For people that aren't stinkin' rich:-

Used 2015 BMW K 1600 GT
                    4,223 miles
                    $14,790.00
                    Sakhir Orange / Black Storm
                    San Diego BMW in San Diego, CA

I don't know if I want a Sucker! Orange bike but the price isn't too horrible used.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Scott, after my 5 years with the BMW, I'm DONE with the poor engineering!! They are too proud of the "German Engineering" to believe THEY could be wrong! BMW SUCKS in my book.
                      The Connie, though it cost to have someone else work on it, is a good machine so far. We both know the Yamaha is probably better in a lot of respects, and it's priced nicely as well.
                      We don't get ALL the nice bikes, but this IS America, and we DO have choices!
                      P.S.
                      For a V-twin, I'd get the Indian WAY before a HD!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Independence Day

Happy 4th of July!

I'm probably going to pick up a used FJR for $NOTMUCH but it's fun to dream while I work through the tangles on my '80G and tie up a few loose ends:

That snarling rat's nest took two days and two nights to create.
                        New terminals weren't necessary but removing them from and not breaking any of the aged and baked plastic connectors was a challenge to put on some spiffy new PVC sleeves and heat shrink tubing.
                        The old terminals were cleaned with a brass toothbrush since they were out of the connector shells and I replaced one bad terminal on the Blue/White harness wire from the Start Solenoid connector to the Start button.
                        I unwrapped the harness tape on my '79F Standard parts bike and just clipped out the whole crumbling, sunbaked, connector with good wires.
                        The Blue/White wire went in the good connector, then I spliced it in the harness.

The spliced Blue/White Start Solenoid wire.
                        It goes to a right-hand harness connector with the wires for a handlebar control with the Light switch.

I fixed or eliminated some spiderweb solder splices and replaced some wires too, like the three White wires for the alternator and the Brown wire for the Field Coil +12V supply.
                        I still have to simplify the equation, err, wait, that'd make it look worse!
                        The wires were de-spagetti-fied along with the ground connections in the harness but I have to go put it on Columbo's frame to fit it and tidy up the layout, then I can wrap it up and get back to the engine.

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        Scott, after my 5 years with the BMW, I'm DONE with the poor engineering!! They are too proud of the "German Engineering" to believe THEY could be wrong! BMW SUCKS in my book.
                        The Connie, though it cost to have someone else work on it, is a good machine so far. We both know the Yamaha is probably better in a lot of respects, and it's priced nicely as well.
                        We don't get ALL the nice bikes, but this IS America, and we DO have choices!
                        P.S.
                        For a V-twin, I'd get the Indian WAY before a HD!
                        With Harley's first generation Milwaukee Eight (1st M8? ) engine I doubt the Yamaha Tranny Star is better but at long last they've reached parity in price and hubris with the pirates' provider so as far as I'm concerned, one overpriced bike that I can't afford is just like any other overpriced bike with fancy farkles, gimmicks, and geegaws that I can't afford, either. I really do want a Road King with the new engine in it, that bike is unbelievable(ly expensive! Aaarrr!)

HD sales wants to put me on the new mid-year Road King 'Special that just came out and I want to let them! AAAARRRR!
                        It's heavily blacked out instead of chromed so I'd be spending time with a laundry marker and Birchwood Casey touchup up pens if I can figure out how to get 'em in California. AAAAARRRRR!

Super Black™ Touch-Up Pen
                        Contains a fast-drying, lead-free paint.
                        Fills in deep scratches or worn areas.
                        Available in Gloss or Flat black.
                        15112 - Super Black Touch-Up Pen, Flat Black - $9.40
                        15111 - Super Black Touch-Up Pen, Gloss Black - $9.40
                        Please note: This item cannot be shipped to an address within the State of California.

New 2017 Harley-Davidson Road King Special
                        $$22,449
                        Engine Size:1753 cc (107 cu in.)
                        Color: Charcoal Denim
                        Available Models:
                        Road King Special - Vivid Black - $21,999
                        Road King Special - Olive Gold - $22,449
                        Road King Special - Hard Candy Hot Rod Red Flake - $24,399
                        (A "Hard Candy" paint job is HD's best and most expensive coating they can make without cutting into and stepping on the even more expensive and highly lucrative chrome and billet aftermarket)

Annoying dealer video with a 2017 Road King Special in Hard Candy Hot Rod Red Flake

I've had the same impression you have from BMW for years along with a few other manufacturers with expensive, products that don't live up to their reputation but I want to try one of those V-6 bikes. Like any other, I'll bet it's great when it stays running like it's supposed to run but six cylinders of nightmare done in hideously overpriced detail when it doesn't. If you think rare, new, XS1100 rings, rod and main bearings are expensive, take a look at new Beemer parts. (fallsoverthud)

For the v-twins I don't care for the styling on the Indians, too much fender I guess and Polaris has a problem with some of the oil pumps. Like the starter clutch in the XS11, they made an oil pump and then wrapped an engine around it. You have to split the case to get at it and they have an oil level control problem in the sump that can only be fixed by working on the oil pumps. What a little bundle of joy that must be. There's a used Roadmaster next door I'll look at and see if I like it, I'm sure I can find another one for a whole lot less than twenty grand.

Used 2016 Indian Roadmaster
                        11,323 miles
                        $19,995 / Retail $29,649
                        Engine Size: 111 cu in / 1811 cc
                        Color: Storm Gray / Thunder Black
                        Simi Valley Harley-Davidson in Moorpark, CA
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

The pistons and rings are clean and back in the jugs. Finally!

The cylinders are bolted to the upper case with Yamabond instead of the orange silicone o-rings and Loctite 518 instead of a gasket. I need to break while it sets a little, then I'll flip it and start stuffing the crank and gears into it. The valve cover is scrap just to protect the camshaft bearing saddles and studs while the engine's inverted.

-- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Have a look at Motus Motorcycles. 1650 cc, 100cubic inches. 580 pounds wet.

The base bike has 160 HP and 120 Ft Lb of torque. Chrome Moly frame. Oz wheels. Ohlins Forks. Brembo brakes. Touring Luggage.

The bike did 163 MPH at Bonnevlle salt flats.

Base Bike is $31k. Premier bike is close to $40k, carbon fiber wheels, carbon fiber tupperware, 180 HP.

People are trading in their BMW 1600 for this bike.

I visited the factory and saw the engines being built and the bikes being built. Very cool operation.
                            82 XJ1100 - sold
                            96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                            2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                            2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

A year ago I found my 78e. Got familiar and confident with it thanks mostly to MaximPhil. I rode to the XS East from Canada this year, and won the long distance award (thank you).

I have spoken to a few since then that commented on the risk of riding a 40 year old machine that far away from home. I'm not really sure what I was thinking, other than I really wanted the experience and fun in my life, and if it breaks down then I'll have to deal with it. I didn't have much spare $ either.

So this post made me think what was I thinking? ...and should I be really heading to XS Southeast (even further) in September?

Then I read the story on the following link with admiration and it renewed my confidence in having an adventurous spirit.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                              Last edited by dbbrian; 07-08-2017, 11:37 AM.
                              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Awesome!

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                                Have a look at Motus Motorcycles. 1650 cc, 100cubic inches. 580 pounds wet. ...
                                Holy Toledo! That is an impressive bike, I would like the engine!

If they'd done a shaft drive instead of throwing energy away to turn its perfectly good inline rotation ninety degrees for a chain it might be interesting to me but I'll never adjust or buy another chain in my life.

Someone has hung the rear brake caliper and its leading hose down by the bottom of the rim in the road-garbage path in an attempt to mimic Formula One braking's low center of gravity on a street machine. You now have a sport bike with insane horsepower, torque, and integrated luggage but it can only tour safely on pre-cleared and maintained routes.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X