My '80G Is Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '80G Is Back

Columbo is coming out to play now that Baby is running.

The engine sat too long, now the main bearing oil restrictors and oil passages in the lower engine case need to be cleaned again.

Loctite 248 stick works really well and parts don't dribble blue goo like Loctite 247.
    You must put the cap back on the stick immediately after use or it will attract dirt and hair.

The hardened and baked aluminum alkyd paint on the cases still looks great!
    Rust-Oleum 261969 Aluminum, 1 Qt.
    NAPA CH254 alkyd hardener, 1 Qt (hardener no longer available)

For assembly:
    Permatex 518 hi-temp -65 to 300 °F (-55 to 150 °C)
    Loctite SF 7649 primer
    Yamabond 4

Do as we say, not as we do!
    Amusing picture from the Yamaha XJ1100J factory manual.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

That last pic. is definitely a scary demo.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

OOOH a NEW ENGINE FOR SCOTT

WOW,,,Columbos engine case looks NEW, lts saying let me play on the road again. The case paint is beautiful to look at especially after all the miles. Hopin Columbo gets purring again, it is a great sounding bike and with the famous one kick 3Phase start.............See ya, Mike in Sun Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
        WOW,,,Columbos engine case looks NEW, lts saying let me play on the road again. The case paint is beautiful to look at especially after all the miles. Hopin Columbo gets purring again, it is a great sounding bike and with the famous one kick 3Phase start.............See ya, Mike in Sun Diego
        Thanks, Mike! I had a lot of fun painting and cleaning it.

It's my lucky day today, I'm in Ventura doing jury duty and I'm hoping that after one call for me, I'll be done for the year.

Oh, and check your snail mail tomorrow, you should have a package I sent yesterday.
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

looking

good my friend, doesn't seem like you need my 2h7-10 motor. Would have been a kick ass SF though. Would have cost you a ton in rear rubber. The E is very aggressive, you really have to prepare for the double kick. Especially if the bike is naked. (the bike!!!) big difference from the SF and LH. The SF is a more agile ride, but for brute force the E motor is humbling. Be cool to strap it into an SF frame with the straight handle bars and play for pink slips on a 1/4.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
            good my friend, doesn't seem like you need my 2h7-10 motor. Would have been a kick ass SF though. Would have cost you a ton in rear rubber. The E is very aggressive, you really have to prepare for the double kick. Especially if the bike is naked. (the bike!!!) big difference from the SF and LH. The SF is a more agile ride, but for brute force the E motor is humbling. Be cool to strap it into an SF frame with the straight handle bars and play for pink slips on a 1/4.
            I just got home, jury duty's done for the year, and you taunt me with tales of 1st-gen 2H7 engines... you're some kind of flat file, you know that?

Anyway, I'm in a really good mood because my new pick-up coil was waiting for me from Rock Auto and it looks like it will work, possibly with no modifications.
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

It's Harnessing Time!

Diving back into the '80G harness is going to be no fun but needs doing.
              I have new plastic sleeve material for the harness where it splits at the steering head and some Harbor Freight shrink tubing.

I don't like brown wires that are supposed to be white so I'll start with bumping the alternator wires up a size to 12 Gauge.
              The F4 tape is to wrap the harness and help seal the connectors that need sealing with self-amalgamating tape.

-- Scott
              _____

Comment

Yay!.....Columbo is harnessed again, maybe for the LD ride/rally coming up.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

No fairing for my XJ

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Yay!.....Columbo is harnessed again, maybe for the LD ride/rally coming up.
                  Maybe. I have the XJ running but the XS is set up for touring.

Greyhound has managed to lose the X-1 fairing I bought for the XJ1100 and I'm out of time to get a windshield for it even if it was delivered tomorrow. I've started the "I didn't get my order!" process with eBay and the seller.

Now I have a NOS X-1 fairing mount bracket and the correct hardware that I bought from another seller but no fairing to put on it. I didn't really want to ride with the fork-mounted windshield that came with the XJ when I bought it. Oh, well.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Scott,
                    For comparison, what did you think of the Plexi-Fairing III on my SG last summer? Even with my big body behind it I only get wet from the shins down and the tops of my shoulders. And of course some rain on my face shield. You would sit down behind that and only have to worry about wet feet.

I have raised it up for a larger gap between the bottom of the plexi and the headlight for more airflow through so short guys won't suck on exhaust fumes from the back pressure of air like you had been experiencing at the Rally. I had never experienced that because my head sits just above the top of the faring.

I can recommend it as a good option to a full fairing. Is that the size of the one on the XJ?
                    Last edited by Bonz; 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      Scott,
                      For comparison, what did you think of the Plexi-Fairing III on my SG last summer? Even with my big body behind it I only get wet from the shins down and the tops of my shoulders. And of course some rain on my face shield. You would sit down behind that and only have to worry about wet feet.

I have raised it up for a larger gap between the bottom of the plexi and the headlight for more airflow through so short guys won't suck on exhaust fumes from the back pressure of air like you had been experiencing at the Rally. I had never experienced that because my head sits just above the top of the faring.

I can recommend it as a good option to a full fairing. Is that the size of the one on the XJ?
                      I can't remember the windshield, Bonz, except that I enjoyed it and the bike!
                      Hmm... here's what's on it now.
                      It mount's a little too low and cuts off the top of the headlight:-

First real ride.

Memorial Day in Sun Marcos.

I might have a Plex-fairing out in the shed if it's the one with the exotic black S&M-style swivels and bars and brackets to hang it from the handlebars and front forks. It has molded swoops in it for your hands and sits in fairly tight.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Good Crimp

The new crimp tool works really well and makes a solid, square, crimp that won't pull out.
                        It's not quite as good as a hydraulic crimp that pressure-welds the wire in the terminal but it'll do.

I like it.

The iWiss.

The Crimp.

The Connection.

The Finish.

There are only a few dozen more terminals and splices left before I can wrap it up.

My hand already hurts.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                          I can't remember the windshield, Bonz, except that I enjoyed it and the bike!
                          Hmm... here's what's on it now.
                          It mount's a little too low and cuts off the top of the headlight:-

First real ride.

Memorial Day in Sun Marcos.

I might have a Plex-fairing out in the shed if it's the one with the exotic black S&M-style swivels and bars and brackets to hang it from the handlebars and front forks. It has molded swoops in it for your hands and sits in fairly tight.
                          Yep, the swivel ball and socket supports are on the backside of the windscreen going to brackets on the handle bars and uses worm clamps to attach the lower mount pieces to each fork leg. The windshield lowers extend down a nice amount to only let H20 get on the legs from mid-shins down

The windshield in the pic looks real similar in every way to the Enterprise "Slipstreamer" that came on my "new" SG, other than the Slipstreamer uses the ball and socket arrangement instead of the A-frame supports on yours. Still trying to find a good home for the "old" SG.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            [...] Still trying to find a good home for the "old" SG.
                            Expedia has LAX to DEN on the 12th for ~$46 one way.

I don't need another XS1100!
                            Yes, you do!
                            (Ouch....)

-- Scott
                            _____

Comment

You know where I live and you know the bike! Free shuttle service to my place.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X