Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XJ1100 teardown: "We-e-e're off to see the welder, the wonderful welder of ours!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 teardown: "We-e-e're off to see the welder, the wonderful welder of ours!"

"Follow The Yellow Brick Road!"

The Cracks.

I split the case to fix the transmission, replace the cam chain, and do a general inspection while the engine's out of the frame.
    Charlie the 3rd Shift Wonder Chimp strikes again.

Oh, no! The number two connecting rod bearing has a problem.

The number two connecting rod journal is marked up too.
    I have a full set of new Blue rod and main bearings ready to drop in so it's not as bad as it looks.
    This is why I split the case instead of crawling under the engine again and getting a faceful of oil to fix the transmission.

Gratuitous garage picture.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Better remove/unplug the TCI before electric welding.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, Phil! The TCI and the Atari flight computer will both be unplugged.
      -- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Looks like that one fracture had an attempt at brazing......not good my friend! That brazing will ALL have to be removed before TIG welded.....which IS the better option anyways. That one rod journel looks a bit metal spun, but shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't pass by 'you know where' in Utah!
        Last edited by motoman; 04-06-2017, 03:56 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The right-hand break? That's just rust from riding in a light rain the other day before I started shredding.
          -- Scott
          _____

Comment

Hi Scott,
            I see that having owned it less than a year you have it all taken apart and spread across the garage floor
            Good job you know your way around the insides
            I hope you can make XSSE this year.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Heh, I used to do that with all my bikes, Phil; tore my dirt bikes and my brand new KZ to the frame and did it every winter to stay on top of any problems so I didn't wind up under them or under something else.

I still have Tod to thank for telling me to dive in to Columbo when the starter clutch went out and I was wringing my hands over splitting the case because I'd never done it before. Now it's no big deal and the hardest part is finding and numbering a box top or a piece of foam to keep the upper and lower case bolts in order. "Oh, man! Is that bolt 11 or 11b?"

Not sure about XSSE. Play it by ear.
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

I had the same issues with the centre stand brackets cracking, it turned out to be the frame corroding from inside, might be worth a check.
                Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I looked at the tubes when I found the busted stand right after I bought the bike and the metal's good. Yes, I checked, thank you!

The P.O. laid it down at some point and center stand is all scraped up on the left-hand side. That probably cracked it loose and it got worse until both sides were broken.

Ah, right on! My buddy's here with the truck so it's time to load up and get this done.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

The frame is back from the welder's. The brackets and welds look good, now it's time to clean and paint the welds, then put it all together.

While the frame was getting worked over I had another u-joint welded up for the '850 Final Drive mod with the splines cut from a bad u-joint.
                    Columbo's u-joint was getting loose so I ordered another one from Napa Auto.
                    The part number has changed slightly and I'm not 100% positive it will fit the Yamaha u-joint but I'll find out tomorrow:-

Napaonline | SKF U-Joints | PART # UJS UJ392

-- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Looks good 3Phase. If smoothing up welds with a angle disc power sander, wanna leave a slight crown in the weld beads.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Feng shui, Brant, I'll remove the flux and paint the welds.

If I grind the beads and clean off the spatter they would not harmonize with any of the other welds and painted-in spatter. The clash would upset the balance and I could die!
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

If I grind the beads and clean off the spatter they would not harmonize with any of the other welds and painted-in spatter. The clash would upset the balance and I could die!
                          Balance IS important.....when on two wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

HELL WE ALL COULD DIE
                            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                            80 XS650 G Special II
                            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                            80 XS 1100 SG
                            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Exactly! Just trying to save lives.
                              -- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X