Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JeffH Bike Repairs - Colorado Rally Prep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome job Kurt...Jeff...this bike has come a long way since the wired headlamp days...yep shes' a keeper...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Making progress.... Bags going on....

XS Friends,

Finished the painting yesterday. Not 100% happy but time is running short. I believe the paint mixer at PPG got the color close but it seems a little too RED.

The Special emblems are not a perfect fit but much better than the crusty originals.....

Still a ton of work to accomplish and only a few days left before Jeff gets her back.....

KURT
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

hard for me to find any faults...looks absolutely awesome...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Can't wait to see the bike in person, in Colorado!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Way ta go, Kurt.
            Looks great!

I also look forward to looking it over in person, with Jeff and Bonz!

Looks like you're gonna have a "like new" 11, Jeff! Cool!

Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Oh boy.... this work has been oversold

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
              "like new"
              Uh Oh! I think I've got this oversold a bit. Pictures can be very deceiving. This is not going to be a like new bike but it will have some issues fixed.

I'm just helping my friend get a few things done and the paint and etc. will make this bike look a little better but that's about it. I really wish I could wet sand and buff the tank before Jeff leaves but that's just asking for BIG trouble with no kiln room and paint only a few days old......

Jeff won't need any more trash bags on top of his saddle bags either...

Actually, I'm really very nervous about getting everything I offered to help with done and in good working order. I don't want my friend broke down on the side of the road somewhere between Georgia & Colorado.

KURT
              Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

I did most of the restore project mechanical work in 2012. Fortunate the engine was good but Carbs, Brakes, Calipers, Pistons, Forks, Shocks, Springs, Tires, Steering head bearings etc were junk. Spent about $3,000 on all new OEM stuff. When finished, it ran awesome in the twisties but the closer you got the worse the cosmetics looked. Got some comments about it, but nobody laughed. But for sure, not pleasant to look at when following me. Plus I never addressed the Fuse Box wiring. Had the TC box but since bike ran so great on rides from Canada to Key West I didn't mess with wiring or address the fuse box wiring issues. OR the more nasty than I though paint.

Taken in 2012: Was never really sure where the PO was going with this

Nuts & Bolts on bags PO gave me were mix-n-match just like most every other accessory some PO installed on the bike

It will be great to have a cosmetically nice looking bike. New paint and most importantly for touring, bags with working seals. My old bags were leakers and latches had been put on by kids in wood shop.
                Plus they looked terrible. So THANKS Kurt. The smoking gun fuse box / wiring issues are resolved as is the nasty looking paint & leaking bags + fixing that awful hole in the dash where somebody used a hatchet to install that 1979 radio I removed in 2012 when I got the bike.

Bike has made it to Key West twice (2K each) and Canada (3.5K) once. Plus four SE Rallies (4K). Never even carried any tools But to Colo (4K) I'll be packin'. tools

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff,

What have you used for seals on the saddlebags? The seals on my 'bags are hardened and have shrunk so they won't stay 'seated' and they leak.

-- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    Jeff,

What have you used for seals on the saddlebags? The seals on my 'bags are hardened and have shrunk so they won't stay 'seated' and they leak.

Scott,

PO had the bags buggered (real badly) up as you can see. Latches in wrong position too (using wood screws, couple rivets and black goop). Odd Engineering & solution. There were no proper seals on lid or bag (which made it leaks like a sive) and rattle too. All I could find was a over thick seal that I put on the upper. NOT interlocking and NOT waterproof which is why as Kurt mentioned I rode it for 4 years with garbage bags over the luggage held on by net strap. You've seen that. Its ugly.

Kurt's blue bags had interlocking seals so he made those bags maroon. Plan is to properly fix my latches then try to find some interlocking upper - lower seals. A winter project. I'm in NC now with family but will get you the info catalogue on the seal people in Atlanta, when I get back to Atlanta.

Jeff
                    Last edited by JeffH; 07-01-2016, 10:46 AM.
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks, Jeff, I thought y'all rebuilt your 'bags! Oops.

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Takin' a break for some Sweet Tea...

XS Folks,
                        Another PO screw up I mentioned previously.....

Seems the PO used an Axe to cut these holes. Honestly, I think the dummy was too lazy to remove the fairing to cut the holes properly leaving Jeff & Me with a mess to clean up. These oblong holes allowed only one screw in each speaker. Not an option, had to pull the whole thing off to fix it properly. A half-dozen bolts and the fairing comes right off.....LAZY BUTT!

I cut some pieces of PVC flat stock I had laying around and made some rings to cover the mess and give me something to screw into. The rings are adhered with contact adhesive and rivets. It's pretty darn solid now and I get all four SS screws to grab something....

KURT
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

A full day... Thought I was DONE~! NOT!!!!

XS Friends,
                          Working all day (and most of last night) trying to get this baby done!!!

Had to add an additional contact block into the fairing to handle all the extra goodies (Radio, USB Charger, Aux. Driving Lamps). I also found another glass fuse (cigar lighter) that had to be upgraded to ATC. Jeff likes to store a couple spare cables in the fairing (VERY SMART idea ) Installed a little rubber deflector around my contact block to help avoid contact with those cables.

Replaced all the LAG BOLTS in the headlamp with M5's and proper weather seals and got 'er all buttoned up... Tank on, gas in, started right up and idles like a dream! Jeff really has this bike tuned well (I never touched it! Which is certainly a good thing!!!)

The new aux lamps should be helpful in BEING SEEN!

The photos ARE deceiving, the new paint REALLY needs a sand and buff.. It's a 10 footer..... much closer and you realize it needs a finishing touch.

Unfortunately, the Colorado guys will get to see it in RAW form.. Jeff will have to bring it back in a few weeks so I can buff it out....

As usual.... This machine is fighting me every step of the way.... Went to take it for a spin around the block and found NO REAR BRAKE! The caliper has new shoes and it WAS bled properly. It stopped the wheel on the center stand but I do recall it felt weird. With 600# of machine moving 20mph it does NOTHING! Feels like the piston is frozen. I could do the Barney Rubble or Fred Flintstone and have greater stopping power! I got about 300 yards from my drive and turned around.... DARN IT!

FORTUNATELY, I have a spare rear caliper from a STANDARD that I stripped out of Kentucky last year. Hopefully, Jeff's just needs to be cleaned... Worst case he get a Kentucky caliper.......

Got to pull the bag, the bracket, etc. just to get to the caliper UGH!!!!!
                          Gonna take a spin on DEAD DUCK and then grab an hour on the couch! UGH! The Dead Duck ride should make the day better!

Discouraged in Georgia!
                          KURT
                          Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Kurt,
                            You sound like some else I know...

Don't be too critical! From what I see, you've brought that old bike a LONG WAYS from where it was when you started. AND, everything you've addressed was much needed work!

I think you've made a dramatic improvement, and Jeff can ride it now with a lotta pride and confidence!

Can't wait to see it. Wish you were coming with him to the rally??
                            Would like to get a chance to meet ya in person!
                            Bob
                            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ready for COLORADO!

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                              Wish you were coming with him to the rally??
                              Would like to get a chance to meet ya in person!
                              NEXT YEAR! If Jeff goes next year, I'll see if he will let me tag-along! This year the $$$ and vacation time is not available. I'm also still "Tinkering" with my XS11's and I don't have the confidence in my bikes necessary to make this long trip.

XS Friends,
                              I believe JEFF is ready for Colorado.

Yesterday, the rear brake scared the fool out of me. I spent much of last evening; cleaning, disassembling, bleeding, disassembling again, bleeding again, & again, & again. I think I had the master off six times. FINALLY, I got all the air out and a good seal inside the master. The rear brakes on these XS11's are a pain in the butt to bleed but this one was the WORST I ever had to mess with. Had to walk away once or twice before wrenches started flying!

The rear brake now seems to work reliably (based upon three trips around the block) and if Jeff REALLY stands on it, the rear wheel will LOCK UP HARD. Absolutely better than yesterday.

Although I will probably spend a couple minutes polishing "this or that" all the work is DONE! This bike really does run well, and much better than ANY of mine.

Jeff is going to have a great time with ya'll in Colorado. Wish I could attend but it's just not possible this year.

KURT
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                                NEXT YEAR! If Jeff goes next year, I'll see if he will let me tag-along! This year the $$$ and vacation time is not available. I'm also still "Tinkering" with my XS11's [I]and I don't have the confidence in my bikes necessary to make this long trip.
                                KURT
                                Just change the oils and put on good tires the bike will take care of itself. These bikes will got thousands of miles broken, even with the engine knocking.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X