78E New proud owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post

I'll adjust the carb idle down a bit, it always was a bit high. Just seems odd that for 2400 km it always ran the same, hot idle at ~1400, and now something different.
    I think if this is still an issue you should look for a vacuum leak or some other reason that the bike is running lean. If you are set too lean, the idle will rise in the way you describe after being warmed up. Better to check now than to burn a piston later.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thank you for the advice Rasputin ,and for picking that comment out of the thread!

I replaced one bad vacuum line when I first got the bike. Thought the idle issue had gone away but noted it again on the first spring ride in Feb.

I have been thinking about checking / swapping out the carb intakes and cleaning the carbs.

Bought the bike last May and just drove it, didn't really do much to it. The approach this spring will be different.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the help.

Brian
      '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
      '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
      '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Do you still have the "OEM" plugs on the carb boots?? If you can twist the cap, its leaking! I've found that a LOT of folks are still running the factory caps on the carb boots, and they leak! You should be able to find some new caps at a good auto parts store. Make SURE they are for vacuum! IF they are thinner than the original, just use a SMALL zip tie to hold it on.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Do you still have the "OEM" plugs on the carb boots?? If you can twist the cap, its leaking! I've found that a LOT of folks are still running the factory caps on the carb boots, and they leak! You should be able to find some new caps at a good auto parts store. Make SURE they are for vacuum! IF they are thinner than the original, just use a SMALL zip tie to hold it on.
          Tottally agree, and is DEFINITELY true! In fact, I have four of the new OEM vacuum caps from Yamaha that I put back in their packaging because they didn't fit snugly enough for my taste. Best bet is to use automotive style heavy duty black vacuum caps. They fit tight enough no spring clip nor tie of any sort is needed. Tight enough that when removing, one has to catch fingernail underneath end to remove, otherwise there's a chance they will tear before coming loose.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tire wear Update

So they are done and I'm looking or new rubber.

The previous report may have been off a bit on milage. But now I have checked my logs and know I put about 2500 - 3k max on the bike when the Shinko's went on Aug 18th. So that means 8.5 to 9k kilomenters on these and they are done.

The rear have less than 2/32 tread

[URL=""]

and a the final nail in the coffin was a nail or something metal in the tire.

[URL=""]

The Front fared better for tread depth as one would expect, with a bitmore than 2/32nds left, but while measuring I noted the surface was worn uneven, with a cupping like pattern associated with those little apostrphe holes.

So milage pretty good. Two different tire places recommend Dunlop 404s, in fact one won't sell me Shinko's due to previous warranty claim issues.

So here to the tire thread revival. Love to hear the banter!
            Last edited by dbbrian; 07-17-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Whatever brand is your choice. 404 Dunflops ARE their lowest end tire in quality and performance.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Whatever brand is your choice. 404 Dunflops ARE their lowest end tire in quality and performance.
                ^^Ditto that.^^ The D404 on the front of my SG didn't make 7000 miles. For me, it was predictable and did what a tire should do but that is just poor front tire life.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

That's the sentiment I keep getting. I was happy with these Shinko 230s and from what I read did pretty good for wear. So maybe experimenting with something else isn't such a good idea, especially since the price is good.

XS East finished them off except for one trip north and a couple scoots around home afterwards.

So with a great quote from Wolfe Worx I have gone the same route with another set.

Wolfe Worx is the same place I went to last year - they beat the Fortnine.ca online price.

This should set me up for the summer and XSSE unless I wear them out beforehand

Comment

I run the Shinko 230 front and they will cup with less than 40 PSI, YMMV.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Psi`

I was using between 38 to 40 psi. so maybe thats it.

Where I live the temperature from overnight can mean a low temperature start to the day, then heat up by 10 or 15 deg C. or more.

I see max is 42. Should we be concerned for being close to the max. PSI when starting out for a ride and then have temperature changes through the day like this?

Comment

The max. psi shown on tires intentionally leaves ALOT of leaway due to manufacturer liability.

Comment

Working...
                        X