78E New proud owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Ride, Insurance, and Safety

Today was safety inspection day, and I just needed to make sure that clutch was working good. So I went for a highway ride this morning to take her though all the gears and see what its like with that big ole fairing.

Did about 25km, it was gusty, and she was doing some leanin' even though the highway was straight! But a nice test run all-in all, clutch is working. Made a small adjustment at the lever to get the grab point a bit sooner - now its nice. And I have to admit it is nice to be having a calm ride behind the fairing, especially today it was only 13 C or so. I know that #2 cylinder isn't firing much, I could feel the engine fighting it.

Met my insurance guy and signed zee papers.

Took the bike to the shop for the safety, 2 blocks from my house, and she passed with flying colours!

Yeee-haaawwww!!!!!

Nothing in my way now but to get my plate tomorrow and I'm on the road (legally that is, don't have Mack's charm with the cops ).

Checked the #2 pipe after my short ride home and is barely warm. I'll keep hopin / wishin / prayin that seaform will unclog it.
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
      Today was safety inspection day, and I just needed to make sure that clutch was working good. So I went for a highway ride this morning to take her though all the gears and see what its like with that big ole fairing.

Did about 25km, it was gusty, and she was doing some leanin' even though the highway was straight! But a nice test run all-in all, clutch is working. Made a small adjustment at the lever to get the grab point a bit sooner - now its nice. And I have to admit it is nice to be having a calm ride behind the fairing, especially today it was only 13 C or so. I know that #2 cylinder isn't firing much, I could feel the engine fighting it.

Met my insurance guy and signed zee papers.

Took the bike to the shop for the safety, 2 blocks from my house, and she passed with flying colours!

Yeee-haaawwww!!!!!

Nothing in my way now but to get my plate tomorrow and I'm on the road (legally that is, don't have Mack's charm with the cops ).

Checked the #2 pipe after my short ride home and is barely warm. I'll keep hopin / wishin / prayin that seaform will unclog it.
      Might unscrew plug cap off#2 wire, cut wire back a 1/4 inch and re-screw plug cap back on wire.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Went away for the weekend so didn't get to work on the bike, but had a great visit with my parents - Dad is 89, Mom is 83. I helped Dad put his sailboat in the water and get it rigged so they can go out. Mom swims off the back in the middle of the lake, with a rope dangled in case a breeze comes along she doesn't get left behind They are doing well, but needing some help around the house, and I'm happy to be able to. They live in cottage country (Hunstville, Ont) and I hope to make the drive on the bike this summer - 200 miles one way.

I have my plate now, so can ride anytime. But I only have the helmet that the guy gave me with the bike, no bike jacket anymore, no gloves. Been wearing a jean jacket and leather garden gloves for my test rides.

Checked my tires and they are 2108, so 8 years old.

So with limited funds, I'm looking at what to buy 1st. Think I'm settled on the Shinko Tours, don't think the 110 will fit but wish it would for matching load rating.

Really want some decent gloves and a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 13 jacket. Haven't yet picked a helmet, but I like the look of the Gringo (old school).

Thoughts?

Comment

No comments on the Jacket. I wear basic leather.

Had to google the "gringo" helmet, showed that it's a full face! We like Full Face.
          Nice to not have your chin/face ground off if you get knocked off the bike and unconscious while rolling down the highway.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I bought a Bilt mesh jacket on sale for under $100. It has a removable liner.

You can get inexpensive gloves from Tractor Supply that have knuckle protection.

Ironclad gloves are inexpensive on eBay and have some basic knuckle protection.
            82 XJ1100 - sold
            96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
            2000 ZRX1100 - sold
            2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Went Shopping, a Ride, and Therapy

Hully Gully is having a 15% off this week, so I called to see if they had Bell Qualifier helmets, and went there after work. Ok, I left work early to beat the traffic.

The Bell Qualifier helmet seems really good for the price.

I ended up getting a textile jacket - Joe Rocket AlterEgo 13, because and I like it, with 3 layers for flexible use, the sticker had $369.99 so with the discount it was about $314. The lowest I saw online at Canada's motorcycle was $404 - so I'm happy with the price!

http://joerocket.ca/product/alterego13-textile-jacket/

Some Five RS3 gloves, and all this had 15% off, so it basically cancels out the tax and I'm suited up.

TC - I followed your advice and nipped a 1/4" off the #2 plug wire. It looked pretty crappy on the old end, so good advice. The bike started way better than last time, just a little tap on the button and she was idling nicely.

Went for a good run tonight after a fill up with a 1/2 bottle of Seafoam. At first it seemed to be running better, until I got out on the highway and I could tell it wasn't right yet, like fighting a cylinder. Rode for a while on country roads, not too hard on her. Then at one intersection I took off, went through 1st and 2nd, and in 3rd I took the revs past 6k a bit. Something happened, it was like she coughed up something, spewed out some phlem and holy **** did it go after that!!!

I could feel the front end lifting, and now when I twist the throttle, I feel like I had better be sitting forward! The motor sounds way better, sings a bit. Not quite there, but sooooo much better. I kinda wondered what might have hit the windshield of the car behind me. Dead mouse? Who knows, who cares, what a blast - rode about 75km before my upper back startrd feeling tired. Poor posture I think.

This was a perfect end to a day that started out very blue for me. Great therapy.
              Last edited by dbbrian; 06-14-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Hully Gully is having a 15% off this week, so I called to see if they had Bell Qualifier helmets, and went there after work. Ok, I left work early to beat the traffic.

The Bell Qualifier helmet seems really good for the price.
                I have a new Bell Qualifier and love it. Had a loose top vent but shop swapped it out, and easy to fix). Feel much safe than my old 3/4s and not nearly as claustrophobic as i thought it'd be.
                Steve R

'80 SG
                "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                1978 XS400E Red
                1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Checked my tires and they are 2108, so 8 years old.

So with limited funds, I'm looking at what to buy 1st. Think I'm settled on the Shinko Tours, don't think the 110 will fit but wish it would for matching load rating.
                  Thoughts?
                  Hi Brian,
                  I have a 17" Shinko 712 you can have. You will have to come and get it. It is a LOT newer 13 I think. I took it off 18 months ago for a looong ride.
                  Has about 1/2 it's tread left so should be good for a few thousand Km.
                  Suits the XS nicely. Not a long life tire but with our short riding season a good choice.
                  PM me for address if you want to make the trek to Mississauga. I know a guy who will mount it for $20.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Brian,
                    You have PM.
                    I hope you know where St Mary's is I have sent you new to you slightly used tire there.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks Phil - I picked it up on Thursday. Its only 3 years old too!

I hope to return the favour someday, somehow.

Brian

Comment

Out for a ride

I have put about 450km on the bike since it became mine.

I know its needs some more tune up attention but I just love to ride it! I try and do at least a small thing for it each time before riding.

I haven't even cleaned anything. Can I get away with saying the dirt is vintage and has value I guess the bugs will have to come off - next time

Country road run. (There's a bike on that hill in the background)
                        [IMG][/IMG]

And since she was so good I bought her a treat
                        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

New Tires - tubes required?

For my 78E, I was asked by the shop that ordered my tires if tubes are required - to prevent a surprise later if need, I think.

Thought I recalled they are required. But after searching the threads I'm thoroughly confused. Seems the tube / tubeless is like the oil threads.

I see the bolt and nut on the rim for the rim lock. Does that mean it's been plugged for tubeless?

Or is this just something you figure out when you pull off the old tires?

Preference would be tubeless for the 'plug-a-flat-on-the-road' potential.

Ordered Shinko 230's.

Comment

'78 and very early '79 have tube type rims. Tubeless tires WILL work, but MAY roll of the bead, or do other bad things. That being said, I've run tubeless tires on my '79 tube type rims with no problems.
                            On the '78, you can use a short 6mm Stainless steel bolt and nut, with rubber washers on each side, to seal the holes from the rim locks.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

OK thanks. Tubes it is. Tubeless isn't that important to me. Safety is first.

Comment

Air filter

I bought a new K&N filter, cleaned up the gunk in the pan under it and installed about 1200 km ago. Took it out tonight to see how things look.

Visible dirt on inside, so looks like its doing its job, but notice the stains in the pan...something leaking back in from carbs?

Wiped my finger on bottom gasket

Wiped my finger on bottom of air side of carb intakes

Comment

Working...
                                X