78E New proud owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the replies.

I just checked my invoice and it has 2 bulbs noted, so possibly they used wrong type or cheap / automotive type. Here's hoping its as easy at that!

But the advice on contacts and grounds is something I will follow. Thank you.

I'll adjust the carb idle down a bit, it always was a bit high. Just seems odd that for 2400 km it always ran the same, hot idle at ~1400, and now something different.

But damn, I love this bike, and the help on this forum!
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

They installed 6 volt bulbs by mistake. Went back, the parts bin had mixed 12V and 6V, so honest mistake.

But, I am so happy its not my electrical system! Intaslled correct bulbs and all is well with that.

Adjusted the idle down to ~1200. Easy peasy.

I better start that book Phil mentioned. The Shinkos are rolling like a dream and the XS will be burning off tread in no time!

Keeping a close eye on the oil consumption. So far its stable, but sure turned black in very few miles.

Comment

Hey Brian,

Part of the oil turning black quickly could also be a combination of the bike not having been run much, so lots of sludge may have formed in the engine that didn't come out with the first oil change. Now fresh oil can help break down that stuff, but you might want to put some MMO in it just before you are ready to change it again, run it for 10 or so minutes with that in it, go thru the gears, work the clutch, etc., and then drain it. It'll probably look cruddy again because MMO is good at dissolving MORE sludge and stuff.

Of course the other reason WHY we don't suggest/recommend SYNTH is because the piston/ring/cylinder tolerances are so loose so more combustion gases and such get past them sooner and more often just with normal use, and so the oil gets contaminated relatively easily with just normal use within 2-3K miles, and needs to be changed that frequently......so it's not cost effective to use SYNTH, as well as some of the other problems that CAN be caused or contributed to by the use of Synth vs. Dino juice!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am extremely jealous!

I purchased an 78E XS1100 for way to much and its one heck of a project. I am also a college student with a $150 income as of now. I wish I could have gotten an XS that looked as clean. The only benefit is making a bike of my own.

Goodluck with your new bike and safe riding!
          78 E

Comment

Thanks CafeKid. I was very fortunate to find this bike, and become the beneficiary of the PO's desire to let go, and become the current custodian for a while.

Good luck with yours too. You make a good point about having the freedom to make it your own. There is definitely a sense of obligation to keep it original when it comes that way, and to do things up right, which has me getting off my wallet a lot more that one might think! So far, money seems to come about at just the right time to keep me riding.

The winter project li$t i$ $tarting to $care me a bit .

T.C. - I did follow your good advice and did the MMO trick just as you say. Didn't think of it loosening up more sludge. I might change the oil sooner next time to keep cleaning it out if thats the case.

Comment

New shoes - Shinko 230's

She has new tires as of August 18th. Put a few hundred km on so far and its it really grat to have fresh tires.

I will share what I can about how good or bad they are, but for context, the old tires were, well, old... and the front tire was a cheng shin with a raised ridge that made me drive like it was mid winter here in Ontario

I made some tread depth measurements. They give you more rubber on the back (7 to 8- 32nds) than the front (about 4- 32nds).

Not many curvy roads around my neck-of-the-woods, and so far the nibs haven't been worn off except for the very centre of the tires. They run smooth as glass taken up to about 150km/h.

I really enjoy these tires, and feel WAY more confident on corners, to the point that I am now very aware of the rubber frame when cornering at highway speeds.

A good ride in steady rain last Saturday was without any noticable traction issues up to 120km/h.

FRONT

REAR

Comment

The Tkat fork brace makes a WORLD of difference on sweepers! Helps all the way around, really. The other two checks that are NO COST:
                1. Check the grease and play on the steering stem bearings. with the front wheel off the ground, the wheel should move to one side or the other with just a nudge on the end of the handlebar.
                2. Check the adjustment of the swing arm bearings. With the rear wheel in the air, look at the space on both sides os the swing arm. The space should be the same, and there should be no side to side movement when you push the rear wheel left or right.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  2. Check the adjustment of the swing arm bearings. With the rear wheel in the air, look at the space on both sides os the swing arm. The space should be the same, and there should be no side to side movement when you push the rear wheel left or right.
                  And realize that Clymers has an error on the procedure. (inch-lbs not foot-lbs?) A loose trailing arm can make your bike very unstable!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Anyone have this happen?

Had my brake lever catch the edge of the fairing.

I really don't think this was happening when I got the bike. But it caused 1 recent tip over, and 2 near tip overs when doing a tight U turn.

I can't see what has changed, with fairing, or otherwise, but the left side clutch lever isn't hitting. The distance to handlebar grips is not equal on the two sides.

Someone suggested a solution of rotating my hand bracket assembly up to clear it, and I'll try that. But it bothers me why this is happeneing now. Not going to ride again until solved.

The bolts on the fairing mount frame seem solid.
                    Last edited by dbbrian; 09-25-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I can't see how the bars are positioned, did you somehow pull the handlebars back toward you and not realize it? That will lower the controls, especially the clutch and brake lever ends.

Trying to adjust the mirror and making the mirror/brake mount roll forward instead of making the mirror move will put the lever into the faring too.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

OK - I loosened the nuts of the hand grip and mirror mount and rolled it back so the brake lever clears the fairing edge. But now the mirror is way off and can't be adjusted for viewing properly, and I can't seem to loosen the nut at the base of the stem to try to rotate the stem. Is that nut by any chance a left hand thread? Because its starting to deform on the corners as I try and loosen it.

Comment

The right hand mirror is left handed thread.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Phil - thought maybe, glad I asked before really reefing on it - lol.

Back to the garage I go!

Comment

Fixed it - sort of

Well no problem with adjusting my mirror now. Fixed the mirror!

This comes to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IcFNiNDb8E

While trying to loosen that nut that just would not budge (don't say use heat, the plastic brake fluid reservoir is right beside it) I managed to cause thr mirror to pop right out and smash on the garage floor. It just made me laugh.

Now I don't have to worry about adjusting it!

Fired it up and went for a ride. Bike runs better every time I take it out.
                              Last edited by dbbrian; 10-08-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Tire wear Update

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                                She has new tires as of August 18th. Put a few hundred km on so far and its it really grat to have fresh tires.

I will share what I can about how good or bad they are, but for context, the old tires were, well, old... and the front tire was a cheng shin with a raised ridge that made me drive like it was mid winter here in Ontario

I made some tread depth measurements. They give you more rubber on the back (7 to 8- 32nds) than the front (about 4- 32nds).

Not many curvy roads around my neck-of-the-woods, and so far the nibs haven't been worn off except for the very centre of the tires. They run smooth as glass taken up to about 150km/h.

I really enjoy these tires, and feel WAY more confident on corners, to the point that I am now very aware of the rubber frame when cornering at highway speeds.

A good ride in steady rain last Saturday was without any noticable traction issues up to 120km/h.

FRONT

REAR

After about 6,000 km

Front

Rear

Comment

Working...
                                X