Rear wheel locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel locked

My rear wheel locked up yesterday. Luckily only going 30mph. Took off 4 bolts hooking to it gear box which happened to go last year and replaced thinking that was same problem and still rear wheel still locked up. Any suggestions what to look for? Haven't took apart yet still on trailer? Thinking final drive but not positive. Thanks in advance.
    79 XS11SF

Should be

easy enough to figure out. If the drive shaft/ middle drive connection is free and the wheel still won't move the problem is toward the rear. If you remove the rear brake caliper, you can eliminate a brake issue. If it's still is locked up then you need to pull the rear wheel so you can disconnect the final drive/drive shaft connection to inspect.
    Last edited by mack; 05-21-2016, 05:19 AM.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

Take the wheel off, start there and work your way forward if necessary.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Take the wheel off, start there and work your way forward if necessary.
        +1!........and wouldn't surprise me that the middle drive is the issue.........specially if you have not previously serviced it with at least a fluid change(75-140w syn.)
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

middle drive

was already eliminated with the removal of the four bolts! Pull the caliper! You have to anyway to get the wheel off! If it is stuck to the disk, u know where the problem is.
          Last edited by mack; 05-21-2016, 04:54 PM.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

First thing you should have checked for was a hot rotor.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              First thing you should have checked for was a hot rotor.
              stuck locked up rear brake?..... wheel won't turn, so a hot dis-colored rotor is pretty much out of the question.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

tuck locked up rear brake?..... wheel won't turn, so a hot dis-colored rotor is pretty much out of the question.
                Yeah, but he said he was going about 30mph when it happened. If you pulled the 4 bolts for the middle drive, and it's locked, go for the brakes next. I've also seen the u-joint fail and lock up the rear tire on Special Ed's bike. To check that, pull the 4 nuts at the final drive , remove the bottom shock mount bolts and pull the drive shaft out of the final drive. if it will turn, it's probably the u-joint.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  To check that, pull the 4 nuts at the final drive ,
                  Pretty sure that's the 4 bolts he is speaking of Ray. At the u-joint.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                    Yeah, but he said he was going about 30mph when it happened. If you pulled the 4 bolts for the middle drive, and it's locked, go for the brakes next. I've also seen the u-joint fail and lock up the rear tire on Special Ed's bike. To check that, pull the 4 nuts at the final drive , remove the bottom shock mount bolts and pull the drive shaft out of the final drive. if it will turn, it's probably the u-joint.
                    Thanks for getting my attention Ray, didn't bother to go back and re-read original post before adding my post sometime later.

Comment

Thanks for tips. Haven't gotten to look at bike yet since I worked last 2 days and still on trailer. That was a fun push up. I will keep posted. As said before you guys all know your stuff.
                      79 XS11SF

Comment

Hey, a lock up at 30 is easy, try it at 85! Mine was a transmission, and the engine is still in the garage waiting for a repair.....
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Rear wheel bearing? The special thick one? Just throwing out other possibilities. Could be welded to the axle. It's happened before.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            Rear wheel bearing? The special thick one? Just throwing out other possibilities. Could be welded to the axle. It's happened before.
                            Had that thought too. Why I said take the wheel off and work forward if necessary.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Rear wheel drive was culprit. What was weird was it would go backwards and not lock up. Had a spare and works good. Still have to finish putting together but luckily it didn't cost me anything only time.
                              79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                              X