Can anyone tell me what tank this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me what tank this is?

Hey I know there's some gurus here who would be able to tell me what year this.

Ultimately I need to find a gas cap/door and petcock.

I appreciate all the help
    Thanks!

'04 Triumph Thruxton

It appears to belong to a 1979 XS1100F.

Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Thanks Marty

When I bought it at the salvage the guy did guess at 79' but said not to quote him. Prolly to defer any onus on the parts that I need to find.

Hoping someone here could flat out say it is or at least say that you could purchase the parts you need from 78'-82'
      '04 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

Originally posted by thruxtones View Post
        Thanks Marty

When I bought it at the salvage the guy did guess at 79' but said not to quote him. Prolly to defer any onus on the parts that I need to find.

Hoping someone here could flat out say it is or at least say that you could purchase the parts you need from 78'-82'
        ....actually, 78-81Standard(E,F,G,H), not Special 79-81(FS,GF,HF).
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Marty

Hi Thruxtones,
          The gas cap and surround are the same for standard tanks from 78 to 81.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            ....actually, 78-81Standard(E,F,G,H), not Special 79-81(FS,GF,HF).
            Sorry Thruxtone, that last should be SF,SG and SH for the Special designations.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Thruxtones,
              Any chance of another photo taken to show the side profile??
              I'm thinking you may have chanced upon a Venturer tank judging by the front curve from the filler neck to the frame tunnel, but I can't see it properly from the photos you've posted.

Oh, and welcome aboard, mate!
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                Hi Thruxtones,
                Any chance of another photo taken to show the side profile??
                I'm thinking you may have chanced upon a Venturer tank judging by the front curve from the filler neck to the frame tunnel, but I can't see it properly from the photos you've posted.

Doubtful, the pinstripe looks too rounded st the front to be a '81 tank.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Doubtful, the pinstripe looks too rounded st the front to be a '81 tank.
                  It is just the Standard model tank, not the bit larger capacity Venturer tank, which was one yr. only. Also, the stock colored Venturer tank was pearl white around inside of pinstriping where knees ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                    Hi Thruxtones,

Thx for the warm welcome!!!
                    '04 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Couple more questions is it possible to find brand new petcocks?

If not is there a way to tell if you're looking at a pic whether it is left or right side?

And would a petcock off a special be compatible??
                      '04 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

Yes, Yes and . . .

Thanks for the input guys. Couple more questions is it possible to find brand new petcocks?

If not is there a way to tell if you're looking at a pic whether it is left or right side?

And would a petcock off a special be compatible??
                        . . . not sure if the Special petcock will bolt up to a Standard tank but this link:

http://www.xj4ever.com/catalog/c-petcock.html

is where I'm presently fixin' on securing parts for a Standard petcock rebuild.

On the right chrome cover plate and I believe on the petcock lever is a small "R" indicating . . . well right side.
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                          . . . not sure if the Special petcock will bolt up to a Standard tank but this link:

On the right chrome cover plate and I believe on the petcock lever is a small "R" indicating . . . well right side.
                          That's great information!! Much appreciated!

Thanks schming!!
                          '04 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

That's great information!! Much appreciated!

Thanks schming!!
                            '04 Triumph Thruxton

Comment

. . . not sure if the Special petcock will bolt up to a Standard tank
                              The Special and Standard fuel taps DO NOT interchange. The bolt pattern is different.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X