Oil filter gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
    What's the size washer I should get for the oil drain plug? That's the one thing I don't have. Thanks for all the help.
    Preferably a copper washer, and one that fits snugly over bolt threads.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

What Washer?

What's the size washer I should get for the oil drain plug? That's the one thing I don't have. Thanks for all the help.
      None of my 4 XS's have a washer on the oil drain plug, and I have no leakage. I have owned one since it was a year old, so I think there never were washers in my bikes.

However, can't hurt.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Some has said it helps not to over tighten and not strip it.
        79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          None of my 4 XS's have a washer on the oil drain plug, and I have no leakage. I have owned one since it was a year old, so I think there never were washers in my bikes.

However, can't hurt.
          Yeah, mine doesn't have one either. Never had any issues with it. I think the problems happen when a bike sits in a barn for 5-25 years and the metals just corrode together and get stuck.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

However, can't hurt.
            There is supposed to be a washer on the engine oil, middle gear, and final drive drain bolts. I believe the OEM washers were made of aluminum. You will be smart to use a washer in these areas. Copper, aluminum, or Teflon are good choices. Even a spark plug seal ring will suffice (14mm) for oil pan bolt.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

However, can't hurt.
              Hmmm..... must of got lost prior to your ownership. Originally, all the XS series had a thin stainless steel washer on oil drain plug like on the middle drive and final drive drain bolts. My Venturer still has the original washers on the middle and final drive drain bolts since buying the bike new, Years ago, I replaced the crankcase drain bolt washer with a copper one since original stainless steel one was getting groove marked.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yup

...So I checked the parts diagrams for all my bikes and saw they all show a washer.

I'll have to grab some next time I place an order.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I think I use a 14mm nylon washer. It will hold up to the heat and help prevent stripping the plug threads because you don't need to torque it too tight. Just don't get carried away with over-tightening the filter bolt!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X