SG Fork Oil - Correct Amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG Fork Oil - Correct Amount?

I have Clymer's manual for my SG but no factory manual for it.

The Clymer's doesn't clearly indicate how much front fork oil is correct for an SG.

It says:
    E/F = 7.17 oz
    SF = 7.61 oz
    G/H = 8.15 oz
    SH/LH = 7.10 oz

....but no SG??

I also wondered if I need to consider my bike seems to have long springs, (probably for the fairing),... wondering it the extra windings displace enough oil to be a consideration. There is about 1.5" pre-load without any weight on them.

Did a quick search and didn't see any recent discussion.

Anybody know the correct amount of fork oil for an SG?

Thanks.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

The 80 special takes 210cc per leg, slightly increase the level if you are experiencing front end dive during braking.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

7.1 oz give or take. Just go to the dollar store and get one of those cheap plastic measuring cups, take a sharpie and put a mark at a little over 7 oz.

That's how I do it anyway.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Remove the springs. Collapse the fork. Fill until 130 mm from the top. As Phil said, 10 to 20 more millimeters to reduce dive if necessary or desired. Nope. It's not in the book.
        Last edited by jetmechmarty; 03-29-2016, 06:30 PM.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

7.1 oz = 210 cc

Thanks guys!

I have a little squirt bottle with graduations on the side. I use it to squirt the correct amount from the bottom before I replace the allen head bolt.

Marty's method is interesting. Wonder how it come about?
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
            Thanks guys!

I have a little squirt bottle with graduations on the side. I use it to squirt the correct amount from the bottom before I replace the allen head bolt.

Hmmmm.........much easier to just pour it in from the top with the cap removed.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks guys!

That's how Traxxion Dynamics set up my 11E forks. In measured mm from top of fork to fluid -not- volume cc. If you look at the Race Tech specs that how Race Tech does it. He has a Special with Race Tech emulators.

They (Traxx Dyn) set mine up at 120 mm down the fork to the fluid. With 10wt Left fork and 20wt Right fork. I just changed my fork oil and out of curiosity measured the amount that came out. It was approx 8 oz both L&R that drained out.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 03-30-2016, 04:58 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                [/B]
                With 10wt Left fork and 20wt Right fork.
                Jeff
                Why different weights side to side? Seems that would throw it off.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Its not independent suspension. Forks function together tied with that front axle. Since I have emulators to adjust the compression side they are using the varying weight of the L & R side fork oil to control the rebound rate. Their procedure is to dial in Rebound rate first, then set the emulators for compression dampening.

It really is an awesome setup. Traxxion Dynamics has me setup full race. Its very very stiff and not for everybody but we are in smooth roads and lots of curves. btw: they have both L& R emulators set at 4.00 turns so in compression L & R are not equal either. These are the race guys and that seems how they are setting up suspensions on these bikes.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I have stock forks with 15w in both. They work good.

It took a little getting used to the stiffer front end but I was able to find the sweet spot with fork air pressure adjustments. 18psi is pretty right.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      I have stock forks with 15w in both. They work good.

It took a little getting used to the stiffer front end but I was able to find the sweet spot with fork air pressure adjustments. 18psi is pretty right.
                      Pertaining to my Venturer, which is stock and original, 20w fork oil and no air pressure added. Over the dacades of use the dampening orfice from oil passing thru at high speed, orfice tends to get slightly enlarged from oil friction(which is what causes heat). Works excellent, bike loaded heavily or fairing empty. Years prior, I had them rebuilt using 10w fork oil and 15psi air pressure. A bit stiffer now using 20w and no air pressure added, but corner and stopping handleing is greatly improved.
                      Last edited by motoman; 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I run 30W with emulators, nice heavy rebound damping but less compression damping that way. Really improves the handling, YMMV

Oil level is 6" from the top, fully compressed.
                        Last edited by bikerphil; 03-30-2016, 07:11 PM.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Is there a better technique?

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Hmmmm.........much easier to just pour it in from the top with the cap removed.
                          I felt it would be easier to get the cap back on before I reassembled the inner tube into the outer tube....that way I could push on the inner tube to compress the spring and brace the bottom against a board.

You must put the whole fork back into the triple tree first to hold the inner tube while you put the cap on, pushing against the spring?

Maybe I think too much.
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

I felt it would be easier to get the cap back on before I reassembled the inner tube into the outer tube....that way I could push on the inner tube to compress the spring and brace the bottom against a board.

You must put the whole fork back into the triple tree first to hold the inner tube while you put the cap on, pushing against the spring?

Maybe I think too much.
                            Naw I have the tube clamped in a vice hanging and the cap with a small pair of vice grips. All assembled you only have to overcome about an inch of the spring.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

FWIW, I put the cap in the vise with protective jaws and spin the tube onto it.

It's easier than trying to push that cap 'cause you have the whole fork tube to push with
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X