Battery Tender Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    12.what volts and the TCI won't work? You bumped your head, Scooter, have you ever kick started an XS11? One kick and it starts, if it takes any more there is something wrong with the bike.

Like the infamous witch, the battery has to be 'really, truly dead' for the kicker or a push start not to work, like down below 10V type dead even with the lighting fuses unplugged, which is getting into 'Walking Dead' territory because any lower and you will be walking.

I thought you had to have 10.5 volts at the TCI for it to fire the coils. But that's at the TCI, not the battery. Dunno how low the battery has to get for the voltage to fall below 10.5 at the TCI, but I have to think it's something above 10.5 volts.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      I thought you had to have 10.5 volts at the TCI for it to fire the coils. But that's at the TCI, not the battery. Dunno how low the battery has to get for the voltage to fall below 10.5 at the TCI, but I have to think it's something above 10.5 volts.
      It'll usually work down that low, sort of, but it won't be happy about it. It doesn't matter if it's happy or not as long as it gets the engine to fire and start charging the battery, then it can be back in its happy-fussy voltage place all Zen and serene and book-spec-like again.

Anyway, if you're using the kicker or not you'll notice the battery starting to get weak long before it leaves you stranded unless you do something silly like turn the Ignition key that one extra click and run the battery down when you only intended to lock the handlebars .

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        It'll usually work down that low, sort of, but it won't be happy about it. It doesn't matter if it's happy or not as long as it gets the engine to fire and start charging the battery, then it can be back in its happy-fussy voltage place all Zen and serene and book-spec-like again.

Anyway, if you're using the kicker or not you'll notice the battery starting to get weak long before it leaves you stranded unless you do something silly like turn the Ignition key that one extra click and run the battery down when you only intended to lock the handlebars .

I'll definitely take your word for it. My understanding of electricity ends at the key on Ben Franklin's kite string. Never could understand what that darn key was for...

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The key unlocked the kite so that some of the lucky electrons could escape before the lightning came back and struck them again.

-- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Ebay has them $24.95 and free shipping.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deltran-Batt...5c9fc7&vxp=mtr

Bill
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Battery Tender

I have more of these things than any one person should have. Makes me think that I better start selling something. Most came from Amazon.

I have noticed this:

I had a double BT on two bikes. One bike has the Geezer reg/rec on it. I could start and run both bikes till they were warm and idling for 20-30 minutes.

Afterwards, I hooked the BT back up to both bikes. The battery on the bike with the Geezer was still fully charged. The other battery (Yamaha original reg/rec) would take 30+ minutes to regain full charge. Conclusion: Geezer's unit charges at idle, Yamaha's does not. I believe this to be an oversight by Yamaha. GO GEEZER!
              Last edited by MPittma100; 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I dont know if Randy put one of Geezer's rectifiers in there but i have noticed that my gel battery almost never needs a charge. I can use the battery riding and later when i plug in the battery minder its either already green or it goes green within a few mins...bought this one on TC's recommendation...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  I've got an 850 kick starter, but I'm faaaaar to lazy to use it.
                  I like that toolbox latch pin. I use a concrete nail.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    I like that toolbox latch pin. I use a concrete nail.
                    Hey! That's a custom made pin! LoL It do keep it shut, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X