Vacuum adv hangs up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum adv hangs up

my adv is hanging up and not coming down unless i release the clutch at a standstill and force the idle to drop. it will idle fine, but once you rev to about 2500 rpm, it "sticks" (ive watched it with the timing cover off)

things ive done:
    cleaned carbs thoroughly
    snyced
    colortuned
    timed
    double checked sync
    double checked timing (mach adv works fine)
    checked for vacuum leak with carb cleaner spray.
    ripped out my hair
    tried to run without vac adv (runs rough)
    tried to use motion pro syncpro resticter (made the adv not move)

if i rev it up it will hang at like 3000 rpm until i either put it in gear and release the clutch, or take my finger and push the vacuum advance down...

any ideas?
    79 XS1100SF k&n pod filters
    emgo shorty mufflers (w/o baffles)
    chopped rear
    springer seat
    led turn signels
    led brake light
    side mount verticle plate
    drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
    8" biltwell chumps
    chopped rear
    nasty twins drag pipes

I believe the vacuum advance is supposed to come in at engine start. The mechanical advance comes in at 5000 rpm. Are you saying your idle won't come down? Your carburetors probably need to be bench synced properly. Your description leads me to believe they're way out of sync. There must be an error somewhere.

Ignition timing set with vacuum advance hose capped, correct? Mechanical advance comes in at 5000 rpm, correct?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

yea the carbs were vacuumed synced multiple times during all the processes. mechanical adv was set and checked with vac hose off and plugged. comes in at 5000 rpm at 31 degrees. but the idle doesnt hang with the vacuum hose disconected. so i know this is a vacuum adv issue.

ive been all up and down this forum for the last 3 months. but just now was able to join.
      chopped rear
      springer seat
      led turn signels
      led brake light
      drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
      8" biltwell chumps
      chopped rear
      nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

The vacuum advance is connected to the port in the #2 carburetor, correct? Did you check the vacuum diaphragm for a leak? The hose as well?

What you describe sounds like a bad sync. Before you hooked up a manometer or gauges, did you bench sync the carburetors? That's actually very important.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88

Set the butterflies to this position, where you have half a hole showing.

This thread may be helpful to you, until someone responds who knows more than I do.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42569
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Where are you connecting the vac hose? int boot or #2 carb?
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

If I may, the hose goes to the carb not the boot.
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Connected to #2 carb body brass nipple. Sync was done properly. Carbs do not have vac leaks nor tears in cv diaphram. I didnt pull the vac canister off the pick up assy. If it were leaking there it wouldnt pull the adv.

Im thinking this may be worn springs inside the vac adv mechanism.

**sorry for all caps, im at work and have to use caps, not going to re type lol**
              chopped rear
              springer seat
              led turn signels
              led brake light
              drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
              8" biltwell chumps
              chopped rear
              nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

If it is sticking or if it has a leak they both should be easy to determine. With engine off, rotate the pickup coils by hand. They should turn easily and snap back to the base position under spring pressure on the centrifugal advance mech. If not then remove, clean and lube the centrifugal advance. Then disconnect the hose from the #2 carb (the carb, not the #2 boot is where it is connected) and pull about 5-6 in. vacuum on it and the vacuum mech should pull in and move the timing plate with the pickup coils. You can do it with your mouth if you don't have a hand vacuum pump. Hold the vacuum and the plate should stay put. if it does not then the diaphragm is faulty (very rare).

Everything should be clean and move freely otherwise it will not work.

FYI, the vacuum mechanism is on metered vacuum from the carb. At high vacuum conditions like cruising (throttle open and not closed) is the only time the vacuum mechanism is in play. All other times like idle or acceleration it will retard back to its idle position.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

everything moves freely as far as i can tell. ill have to pull it all off and give it a good cleaning.
                  chopped rear
                  springer seat
                  led turn signels
                  led brake light
                  drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
                  8" biltwell chumps
                  chopped rear
                  nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

Originally posted by hondakid11 View Post
                    Connected to #2 carb body brass nipple. Sync was done properly. Carbs do not have vac leaks nor tears in cv diaphram. I didnt pull the vac canister off the pick up assy. If it were leaking there it wouldnt pull the adv.

Im thinking this may be worn springs inside the vac adv mechanism.

**sorry for all caps, im at work and have to use caps, not going to re type lol**
                    Remove the vacuum assembly, and THEN check that rotation of the advance assembly rotates freely, as in floppy free. If it's not, then that mechanical assembly and its little bearing need cleaned up first, THEN lubricated. Worn springs is NOT the issue.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If I were you I would check your valve clearances I had the same thing on my bike turned out that almost all of my valve were tight.
                      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                        If I may, the hose goes to the carb not the boot.
                        Wait what? From my petcock I have a thick tube (fuel line) that goes to my carbs and then a skinny tube that goes to an intake boot. Is this wrong?
                        78 E

Comment

Barb on carb #2 goes to vacuum advance (left engine cover). Barb on manifold #1 goes to vacuum shutoff (octy) on a Special, or the left petcock on a standard. Barbs on #2&3 are capped. #4 is capped on a Special and goes to the right petcock on a standard.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            ... Barb on manifold #1 goes to vacuum shutoff (octy) on a Special, or the left petcock on a standard.
                            Marty,

On my SF, the #1 manifold barb is capped, and the vacuum line from the Octy is connected to the barb on the #2 boot ... does it make a difference?
                            Last edited by Prisoner6; 05-02-2015, 09:06 AM.
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                              Marty,

On my SF, the #1 manifold barb is capped, and the vacuum line from the Octy is connected to the barb on the #2 boot ... does it make a difference?
                              No. You may run the vacuum shutoff (octy, octopus, spidervalve, POS) from any manifold you choose.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X