2nd Gear Fix. Any Words of Wisdom? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    I put mine in neutral all the time when I'm sitting at lights here.
    Here it is a requirement, when testing for your license to put the bike in neutral when at a light. The point being that if the clutch failed or you accidentally released it, you would not be shot into traffic.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I personally am not a great fan of the Dremel fix. One is definitely removing the hardened surface of the gear and there have been cases of the fix failing after all that strip down work. I would personally look for a good used transmission or even buy new gears. I can't imagine anything worse than doing the 'fix' and find it doesn't work or fails soon..

Re the washer swap. I've tried this on three engines out of the frame and never once succeeded in getting the shaft back in after the swap. I was using old scrap engines to practice and once spent two hours of trying, without success. That's with the engines on the ground, upside down and as easy to work on as could be. I've been told that I was somehow doing it wrong but I still don't see how. It would be even worse with the bike on its end, or upside down, or crawling underneath it!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I tend to agree with you on this one James...the 2nd gear washer swap was/is appropriate when replacing the gearsets rather than dremmelling them...when I had my 2nd gear issues with the Maxim...i elected to but new gearsets and swap them out rather than dremel the old sets...at that time I spent over $500 USD for the gearsets...I have heard since then that Yamaha has stopped making them ,but I have not ascertained that this is so... What I am certain of ...is that those gears wll never break again...or at least as long as I was alive....
        Last edited by madmax-im; 04-19-2015, 05:37 AM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

It might be one of the various reasons I have two extra XS engines sitting in storage. I'd much rather swap gears than dremel. Then again, with my bike already having the fix done, I doubt I'll ever have to worry about it again.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The nay sayers are always those who have not or cannot. I have 4 11s in the garage as I type this that I know have been repaired this way. All are or were working before they were parked for other reasons.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm not a naysayer...but for MY peace of mind I replaced them...YMMV
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                I personally am not a great fan of the Dremel fix. One is definitely removing the hardened surface of the gear and there have been cases of the fix failing after all that strip down work. I would personally look for a good used transmission or even buy new gears. I can't imagine anything worse than doing the 'fix' and find it doesn't work or fails soon..

Re the washer swap. I've tried this on three engines out of the frame and never once succeeded in getting the shaft back in after the swap. I was using old scrap engines to practice and once spent two hours of trying, without success. That's with the engines on the ground, upside down and as easy to work on as could be. I've been told that I was somehow doing it wrong but I still don't see how. It would be even worse with the bike on its end, or upside down, or crawling underneath it!
                Hmmm.......maybe I was just fortunate that I dropped that shaft assembly out of mine on centerstand, and re-installed. Centerstand up on short 6"x6" block and rocked back blocking under and in front of front wheel allowed fairly easy access to underside.
                Stripping down the Venturer so as to flip it was not happening.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post

Here is your answer and procedure to get shaft back in..... ez pz

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43665
                  1979 F worst one i could find
                  to convert into a bobber/ streetfighter!

We can't all get along!

Comment

Working...
                  X