No announcement yet.

Showa vtx1300 Shocks for the XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I got them so cheap, I'm that much closer to a set of emulators for the forks. Can't wait to hit the twisties with some confidence. The way it is now, it feels like I'm riding on a spring mattress and not in a good way
    Go with a Tkat fork brace! It's about $100 US, and makes a WORLD of difference in the bike!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I think you should do both, plus new springs. Emulators won't play well with stock springs or any progressive wound spring.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Orange4 View Post
        I'm not planning on lowering them. I was just hoping I could make them look more stock. OTOH they are a nice looking shock so why am I making more projects for myself?

Thanks for all the info on the air shocks. They look good and rebuild-able is a bonus. Is the air like preload? I have never used them.
        You're welcome, just in the planning stages for my SF Euro Conversion and aquiring parts and info also.

Great looking Showa's you got there, did you get the preload adjuster tool also? If not, I read that you can use a strap type oil filter wrench.

The air, in the air shocks, is a preload adjustment, it enables you to accurately set "total sag"

These are the shocks I'd like to go with, but at almost $1k I'll have to save up :

They're Works Performance - here's the link: http://www.worksperformance.com/html/vintage.html
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Ha Ha. For that money, I got my two bikes! That's vintage bikes though. Cheap to buy then look out wallet. Still a long way off of the eight to ten grand for a new one though.

I'm also saving up for a nice set of Hagons or Ohins depending if I win the lottery or not.

A T-Kat brace is definitely in my near future and I'm going to build rear sets as well. Fun fun fun.
          Living to EXcess.
          1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
          Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
          1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Road test.

Finally got some time to swap out the rubber shock mounts from Honda to Yam. The shocks fit fine with no interference and they look good. I was worried they were a bit "fat" but the XS isn't a dainty bike so they look about right.

With me on it (160 lbs) and less than 1/4 tank of explody stuff the sag with rider is about 3/4" on the lowest pre-load setting. I think my stock ones had about an inch and a half of sag which is too much. On the road they feel quite a bit stiffer and sportier than my old stockies but not uncomfortably so. I always had my stock ones at minimum preload and they would almost bottom out on big bumps in corners. These give me way more ground clearance and confidence in the corners.

There's a corner I ride with a bump in it that would always grind my center stand. Takes it like a champ now.

At least now there is damping in both directions and there is no tail lift or drop with throttle variation. These would be perfect for heavier riders than me as well, although the 3/4" sag is a touch low for my weight the rebound damping does not let it top out. Maybe with a full tank it's a full 1"...

Verdict: Great sporty replacement for the stock under sprung shocks. Modern damping and can be had cheap from upgraders. Especially good for riders 160+

Now, I have to do something about those crappy forks...

Living to EXcess.

Comment

Hey Orange,

Looking good, and glad to hear that their performance provides modern levels of action. You mentioned in your previous post about the Fork Brace...definitely need to put one on to help shore up the flex.

Marty(JetMech) will tell you to get them rebuilt with emulators or such innards.
              It depends on how they feel...do they DIVE a lot under braking? Or do they seem to hop over bumps...make the front end bounce instead of just the tire? Still running OEM springs? Changes in fluid weight will also provide some adjustability.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

They do dive a lot. I will probably put in some higher weight oil for now.

T-kat brace will have to wait for when my collector plates come through. I'll get an insurance rebate. Really nice unit. Someone local has one. Best looking one around. Wish I bought one before the Canadian dollar tanked. Now it's 20% more.
                Living to EXcess.

Comment

Orange,

How are you measuring the 3/4 inch of laden sag? Is that from fully extended or from bike on wheels? If from fully extended, that's pretty tight. My laden sag is 35 mm for a very sporty ride. 1 in = 25.4 mm. If not from fully extended it may be about right. You are correct about the shaft jacking. Heavy springs and good dampers aleviate it.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Yeah. That's from fully extended. I don't know the full travel of this shock. It's supposed to be about 1/3 of the travel right? It is a bit tight but for $20 and so improved I'm happy for now. Better for heavier riders and bikes for sure.
                    Living to EXcess.

Comment

Just put your wife or significant other on the pillion. It will be perfect.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

The wife wants her own bike so I'll just have to eat more poutine.

Just pulled the trigger on the Mike's XS Emulators. Happily, they were cheaper from the Canadian store in CAD than in USD from the US store. I know they are not the name brand fancy ones but really, how much better can a bunch of flexible washers perform? Three times better? RACETECH cost three times as much and I'm on a budget here.

It will give me the excuse I have been waiting for to polish up my forks

Just got my Collectors plates too so cheap insurance for me!!! Waiting for my rebate cheque. Basic insurance went from over $1000/year to $200/year
                        Living to EXcess.

Comment

So the stock springs are rated at .627kg/mm and the calculator recommends .885kg/mm for my weight with the emulators.

Anyone know what the optional heavy duty springs (2H7-23141-10-00) were rated at?
                          Living to EXcess.

Comment

Hey Orange...I like your shock installation...they look really good...I'm rebuilding a pair of XJ air shocks and soon I will be swapping them over... a quick and cheap fix for the forks would be to add 2 3/4" diameter pcs of PVC about 1' long to the tops of each fork spring in addition to heavier weight oil will stop the front end dive under braking...
                            Last edited by madmax-im; 04-09-2015, 05:00 AM.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Orange4 View Post
                              So the stock springs are rated at .627kg/mm and the calculator recommends .885kg/mm for my weight with the emulators.

Anyone know what the optional heavy duty springs (2H7-23141-10-00) were rated at?
                              I believe stock springs are progressive wound. Mixing them with emulators will not give satisfactory results. I got my springs from Traxxion Dynamics. Race-Tech has them as well. Mine were custom wound. .95 kg/cm IIRC.

You have excessively tight springs on the back. Using stock ones up front is going to give you mush by comparison. I don't think you'll be pleased with the results.
                              Last edited by jetmechmarty; 04-09-2015, 07:55 AM.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

So why do they not work as well? Inquiring minds want to know.

Here's my guess: Progressive springs are an attempt to stiffen the travel at high compression, low speed events to keep from bottoming out. Sort of a band aid for damping rod forks since they damp so poorly during those events. The springs are softer during mild compression so high speed compressions are not overly harsh. Emulators solve those problems so the progressive springs are too soft for high speed compressions and too stiff for low speed ones.

Am I in the ballpark?
                                Living to EXcess.

Comment

Working...
                                X