Starter Squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Squeal

My starter is really beginning to squeal quite loudly when the bike starts.
    So far it starts fine.
    Is there a bearing I can replace?
    Lubricate something?
    Or should I replace it all together? Is there a good source for new starters?
    My fear it is going to get worse.
    82 XJ1100J
    81 Venturer
    Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

I have the starter from both of your SH's. I'm pretty sure xs1100 starters are all the same. No problem for me to give one or both back.
    81 xs1100 SH
    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
    80 suzuki gs550et
    07 suzuki S40

Comment

Ed Do they even turn? They were both in the deep 6 (nautical expression). I would have thought as crusty as what we saw with the rest of the bike.
      How is the build coming?
      82 XJ1100J
      81 Venturer

Comment

starter

XS850 and 750 should fit also. The 850 has the same part number.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
          Ed Do they even turn? They were both in the deep 6 (nautical expression). I would have thought as crusty as what we saw with the rest of the bike.
          How is the build coming?
          I never checked them to see if they work. They looked pretty good but the rest was covered in barnacles!

Some progress made. I got the carbs looking spiffy bit I'm still waiting on those air jets to bolt everything back together.

I'll check out those starters tomorrow.
          81 xs1100 SH
          81 xs1100 SH (parts)
          80 suzuki gs550et
          07 suzuki S40

Comment

If your trying to start it in 6 feet of snow and near 0 temps your lucky if it engages at all. The cold makes the starter clutch squeal pretty good.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Starter #1 is a no go. I'll dig up #2 and see what's what.
              81 xs1100 SH
              81 xs1100 SH (parts)
              80 suzuki gs550et
              07 suzuki S40

Comment

It's a pretty simple fix. Take off your starter. Remove the two long Phillips screws going down each side of the starter. Don't worry, nothing is spring loaded or going to jump out at you. Just pay attention to how it's situated though, as there's a notch you have to line up to get back together. Remove the cover that is opposite the end that goes into the engine case with the gear. (The end you see on the outside) You'll see a round nub of metal on the starter and the hole it spins in on the cap. This is the "Bearing" for that end of the spinning starter. It gets dry and sounds like a dying goose. Put a dab of grease on that nub.. not a lot.. you don't want it slinging grease around inside.. and slap it back together. Problem solved.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm with Tod,.. except why not clean and lube the planetary gears at the other end since you would already have it apart? It's really easy to remove and service the XS11 starter.

Bonus- can clean the commutator with fine sandpaper (600ish).

I had an XS750 starter that made a ZZZZZTT sound. I replaced the starter clutch, and the replacement clutch slipped. Replaced the clutch again. Still squealed. It was the lubrication inside the starter motor.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

EC,
                    I had a propane heater on my scoot for about 20 min today. Fired right up with the slightest touch of the button. Could just be too cold.
                    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

The Goose is greased

The Goose is greased not a squawk!
                      Thanks!!!
                      82 XJ1100J
                      81 Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        It's a pretty simple fix. Take off your starter. Remove the two long Phillips screws going down each side of the starter. Don't worry, nothing is spring loaded or going to jump out at you. Just pay attention to how it's situated though, as there's a notch you have to line up to get back together. Remove the cover that is opposite the end that goes into the engine case with the gear. (The end you see on the outside) You'll see a round nub of metal on the starter and the hole it spins in on the cap. This is the "Bearing" for that end of the spinning starter. It gets dry and sounds like a dying goose. Put a dab of grease on that nub.. not a lot.. you don't want it slinging grease around inside.. and slap it back together. Problem solved.
                        Any chance of getting a pic of that Lube point??? Thanks.
                        1979 XS1100F
                        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Any chance of getting a pic of that Lube point???

I forgot.. there's an o-ring on that cap when you take it off, so just be careful with that.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

With the howling wind in N.J., I went to my Moms house where i keep both bikes in the winter time.Both bikes fired right up.I do keep Marine StaBil in the tanks all winter long and keep a supply of fresh gas on hand.The XS just seems to take longer to catch in the cold weather.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Thanks! Added to the to-do list.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X