Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Trick

I was messing around with my ACCT and when I took it apart I noticed a second thread on the spring retaining bolt. It turns out it's a reverse thread that engages the punger and when it's fully retracted and turned anti-clockwise. You can then install it assembled, make sure the chain is tight on the sprockets and release the plunger one handed. Less chance of the chain skipping a tooth. I made a video showing how to set it. (Thumbnail was in the way of a heavy object earlier that week.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSq3J3r4BA
    Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

discovery now I'm going to the garage to see if my extra one does that

Thanxs for the video
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Holy smoley!!! How in the mother eff did your whole nail turn black??? Hard object as-in a marching band trampling on it???
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Cam

Thats the nail that he puts his "Coke" on
        78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Yeah, and that was one really big can of coke, let me tell ya.

Actually, I don't remember how that happened. Blocking it out, I guess. I do remember drilling a hole through the nail to relieve the pressure though. Must have been on coke.
          Last edited by Orange4; 01-14-2015, 02:41 PM.
          Living to EXcess.

Comment

Can you tell us which model that ACCT came off of ? T.I.A. Don'e

Oh and yes beautiful job your doing on your bike !
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Thanks. I don't know which model it came from. It was in a bin at the wreckers with about 50 other ACCTs. It had the most spring tension so I grabbed it. I could check if it has a P/N.
              Living to EXcess.

Comment

Might be you found the special fit one that will keep us from screwing up our valves ????
                Maybe someone here can identify that one ? T.I.A. Don'e };-)
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Mine is from a Raptor and does not do that. Have yet to install it.
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

OK ! So am I right or wrong on this ACCT being the saving grace ? I understand it still comes down the op/error, but could this take a step out of the night mare of possibly bending valves ?
                    Orange how easy was it for you to install ?
                    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                    80 XS650 G Special II
                    80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I've got the same exact one on both my bikes. Mine came as a two 'fer off of a 1985 Yamaha XVZ 1200 D Venture Royale. Probably could look up the part no. off that fiche and cross reference. Nice tip btw.. I have been just fully unscrewing that bolt and replacing it on the tensioner after it was installed on the bike! It's as easy to install as the original. A direct bolt in replacement for me.
                      Jason
                      Montgomery, AL

80 XS1100SG Daily Driver
                      81 XS1100SH (Getting ready for an engine rebuild)
                      86 Honda Magna V45 (sold)

Comment

Ok, I decided not to be lazy. The Yamaha part number is: 26H-12210-03-00

Looks like it was used on the VMax as well. Still available new if you've got money to burn or they're pretty cheap on ebay.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...210-03-00.html
                        Jason
                        Montgomery, AL

80 XS1100SG Daily Driver
                        81 XS1100SH (Getting ready for an engine rebuild)
                        86 Honda Magna V45 (sold)

Comment

Wow.. pretty awesome find. Thanks! Every time I've installed these, (And yes, they're from the Venturer) trying to get that big bolt to start under full spring tension was a tightrope walk between kung-fu and cussing. Then, just about the time you think you have a thread or two grabbing and you let go.. PEW! Shoots it out and laughs at you. (This is usually where the cussing is most helpful).

What makes it worse, is just to make sure this all stays drip-free from oil, I put some form of liquid gasket on both sides of that brass washer (Yeah, I know, probably a crush washer and doesn't need it, but just insurance) and it has always made a mess before getting it to go.

I bow to the Orange!

Now if we can just get a video of you pulling that nail off... lol
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You are welcome! My OCD actually comes in handy sometimes.

Done, I have not installed it yet using this trick on my running bike but it seems this will make that a lot easier.

The reverse thread is brass on mine. Here's a pic of what to look for if you are going to the wreckers:

Last edited by Orange4; 01-14-2015, 10:25 PM.
                            Living to EXcess.

Comment

The nail thing. Is this going to be some kind of defining moment for my identity? Oh well. Here goes anyway.

So... after I used my thumb to stop a speeding train, it was bruised so far under the cuticle that it stopped growing long enough for there to be a gap behind the surviving portion at the front. The blood blister (which I holed on my drill press to relieve the pressure. harrgh!) left a space under the nail as well so there's this great void for all manner of things to get caught on or under which hurt all over again. It also looked horrible. My wife called it "Frankenthumb". So she suggested I go get it repaired at her nail salon. Go to the nail salon? Ummm, how about no? Is no good for you, dear?

It was bugging me for days after that and it got caught on a thread one day and just about finished the job so I rode down to the salon later that day and sneaked in to get it done. Once inside I took off my dark glasses and I noticed how cute the nail girl was and I thought, how bad can this be? So she cut and filed and glued a patch on my nail and then asked what color polish I wanted. Well, I was so relaxed from all that attention, pampering and gossip that it took me by surprise. I put down my pumpkin spice latte and said, Huh? Polish? What's the manliest color you have? It was at this point that I realized that metal flake is just glitter for guys. Did I choose glitter orange as you might have hoped? No. I chose flat black because that's punk right? And manly.

So that's how I ended up with a fully black nail and got a hand job from a cute girl who was not my wife.

True story.

And now back to manly tensioner installations...
                              Living to EXcess.

Comment

Working...
                              X