Venturer Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the Help
    I can at least try to get the front running lights back on and not worry about starting to check them.
    82 XJ1100J
    81 Venturer
    Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      A little dob of dielectric grease on each connection before plugging back in will eliminate future corrosion on connections.
      I'm going to strongly disagree on this point. The Deoxit will be more than good enough.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I'm going to strongly disagree on this point. The Deoxit will be more than good enough.
        ......was already ducking the expected 'incoming' from ya'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It only took me 11 hours and I got this Headlight to work the way it should!

Smoke is always a challenge for me.

You can't clean the connections enough.
          The key was to tighten some of the female connections for better fit I had resistance both sides, voltage ok but still no go.

I had 7 volts off the white alternator wire cleaned checked jumped with 12 volts still no go. I a thinking relay I had a spare still no good.

The connector was not tight enough. I tightened the female connector and the lights lit up!

On to the running lights and fuel guage
          82 XJ1100J
          81 Venturer

Comment

Hi Gordon,
            Which was the "magic' connector? As you know I am looking for more volts to my headlight too.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Phil
              My loss was at the tie from the headlight bucket to the fairing wire harness.
              Same thing with the running lights. Not much loss at the external plug or in the fairing but I still went over all of them.
              Tightening all the connectors helped as much as cleaning my other area of concern was the red/yellow to blue on the headlight relay I went over everything numerous times.
              I think you said your relay was bypassed? That area was my main problem .
              Gordon
              82 XJ1100J
              81 Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
                Phil
                My loss was at the tie from the headlight bucket to the fairing wire harness.
                Same thing with the running lights. Not much loss at the external plug or in the fairing but I still went over all of them.
                Tightening all the connectors helped as much as cleaning my other area of concern was the red/yellow to blue on the headlight relay I went over everything numerous times.
                I think you said your relay was bypassed? That area was my main problem .
                Gordon
                Hi Gordon,
                I believe my relay is bypassed. While I have cleaned connections in the headlight bucket area In our case the vinyl bag I think i should get genuine DeOxit brand cleaner and have another go. Also my ignition switch is due a good clean too. Once the weather warms up the garage will become inhabitable again
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

I thought I was almost done

I have almost completed the Venturer Rescue or so I thought?
                  I have got this bike in really great condition it runs beautifully and looks great
                  New TC fuse box
                  New battery
                  Fork Seals and oil
                  New tires
                  Carbs triple cleaned synced runs great
                  Brakes rebuilt new lines
                  Starter lubed Grounds checked and cleaned
                  All electrical repaired cleaned 100% working
                  Hazard switch wires soldered back
                  Bearings greased cables oiled
                  New handlebars
                  Down to the final few items this bike never had any starting issues except the squealing starter that I fixed in any weather down in the low teens it would fire right up.

I changed the oil and gear fluids this week hoping this was about the last I would need to do. I went with Castrol 20w50 same stuff lots use on this site.
                  Now I have Starter Clutch Slip Issues at any temp even when warmed up? I have no idea what was in here before but it never slipped.
                  Any thoughts on what I might be able to besides split the case?
                  I am getting this ready for a run to West Palm Beach in April to see my Daughter an avid rider and run to the Keys with My Daughter on her bike with me from there.
                  I am still going I was just hoping to take this bike my others have no storage or windshield I am
                  looking forward running a Venturer for the trip.
                  82 XJ1100J
                  81 Venturer

Comment

Hi Eastcoaster,
                    I notice the last time I looked at Castrol 20/50 here in Canada the SAE logo had the added line below about energy conserving.
                    as you know we have been told this is not good for our old engines.
                    I wonder IF the formulation has been changed ?
                    *#@* this could turn into the dreaded oil thread

Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Just use motorcycle specific oil and you shouldn't have to worry about it. I just bought this at the local auto parts place for $4.99 per quart.

It's real slippery, just like I like it. If the standard product has been changed, you won't have a choice. It's a good thing you're looking before pouring.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        Just use motorcycle specific oil and you shouldn't have to worry about it. I just bought this at the local auto parts place for $4.99 per quart.

It's real slippery, just like I like it. If the standard product has been changed, you won't have a choice. It's a good thing you're looking before pouring.
                        .....that or just the Vav.20-50w in automotive. No polymers added to it either, and is what I've been using for decades in both bikes. Interesting.....what Phil has found with the Castrol oil, kinda what happened with the diesel specific Shell oil.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Heres what I used

I am hoping its just the oil and will certainly change it out
                          Here is what I used

82 XJ1100J
                          81 Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
                            I am hoping its just the oil and will certainly change it out
                            Here is what I used

Hmmm......nothing in lower portion of circle.......shoulda' been fine.

Comment

Nothing in the bottom in the label, so u should be good. Try the Wally World Super Tech oil, or Valvoline brand. Not sure what I'll use this year.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                                Not sure what I'll use this year.
                                Just be sure to get the slippery kind!
                                nothing in lower portion of circle
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E