Rear brake lock up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake lock up

I am experiencing a problem with the rear break locking up after riding for a short period of time. I understand that this is a problem that is well known throughout the XS11 community. I have purchase a used caliper and installed it on the bike with new pads, and performed bleeding. I have had no success in restoring the rear breaks as of yet. I have a rebuild kit and want to rebuild the caliper. The piston is stuck in the caliper that was replaced. I would like to know if the piston can be removed and the caliper rebuilt? If so what is the procedure to remove the piston and rebuild the caliper? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    80 XS11 1196 Wiseco kit, balanced crank,

Maybe

Search forum for Spooge hole , may have some bearing on your problem .
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

Sure you can. Easiest way for me was to stuff a rag into the hollow recess of the piston, place the caliper face-down into a box of rags or whatever, and blow compressed air into the hole where the banjo bolt was. Piston will pop-out with speed, so no fingers or fine china in the area. Other option is a grease gun or using your brake system. Check for wear & tear on the piston. Any heavy pitting, rust, gouges, etc., should junk the piston and order new from HVC. Caliper and M/C should be re-built, with thoughts of upgrading brake lines as well. There are threads on here regarding re-building the rear brake system. Go ahead and use the search feature, and u'll find plenty.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Punisher View Post
        I am experiencing a problem with the rear break locking up after riding for a short period of time. I understand that this is a problem that is well known throughout the XS11 community. I have purchase a used caliper and installed it on the bike with new pads, and performed bleeding. I have had no success in restoring the rear breaks as of yet. I have a rebuild kit and want to rebuild the caliper. The piston is stuck in the caliper that was replaced. I would like to know if the piston can be removed and the caliper rebuilt? If so what is the procedure to remove the piston and rebuild the caliper? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
        Might wanna check area where pedal shaft goes thru. It IS the notorius area of rear braking issues if bike has sat neglected exposed to elements. There is no grease zerk for lubrication of pivot, and its free movement gets restricted from rust.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Might wanna check area where pedal shaft goes thru. It IS the notorius area of rear braking issues if bike has sat neglected exposed to elements. There is no grease zerk for lubrication of pivot, and its free movement gets restricted from rust.
          There is a Zerk fitting..under a plastic cover at the end of the shaft. The cover has the word 'grease' on it. Or is this just on European models??

Last edited by James England; 05-19-2014, 03:35 PM.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            There is a Zerk fitting..under a plastic cover at the end of the shaft. The cover has the word 'grease' on it. Or is this just on European models??

Not the case for 80-81's here Stateside James.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Not the case for 80-81's here Stateside James.
              Now that is interesting! I mean, why would they change the design of such an important part? The brake pedals here often get cruddy looking with all that enthusiastically applied grease which splurges out especially on the inner side of the alloy hanger...but stops them seizing up...
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Now that is interesting! I mean, why would they change the design of such an important part? The brake pedals here often get cruddy looking with all that enthusiastically applied grease which splurges out especially on the inner side of the alloy hanger...but stops them seizing up...
                location....location....location.....

Comment

Hey James,

Not ALL of the USA has the same 11 months of wet foggy weather that the UK has , so less constant rust problems. Also, it was probably cheaper to make!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey James,

Not ALL of the USA has the same 11 months of wet foggy weather that the UK has , so less constant rust problems. Also, it was probably cheaper to make!

T.C.
                    .......specially since Mother Yammy already knew the model was going away anyways with the XJ and the dollars saved in production could be better well spent on ignition design improvements and such.

Comment

None of the Specials have that zerk, the 78-80 Standards do.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

+

suggestion from experience. time to remove rear brake system. its beneficial to have an air compressor. remove rear master cyl, add your old caliper and bench clean parts. clean the master tiny spooge return hole with a guitar string or something similar, clean and blow out, remove piston w compressed air. rebuild w new parts, rubbing new brake fluid inside caliper and around a good piston. reinstall and bleed. check to make sure theres proper clearance between rear rotor and pads so as to not to rub.
                        i know there are tech pages dedicated to this common issue.
                        good luck!
                        Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
                        Kerker 4/1
                        stock carbs and air box.
                        78 headlite, handle bars,
                        1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
                        crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
                        78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
                        94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say that my '78 has that grease zerk there. I don't have the cool plastic cover though...
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Yeah, I was going to say that my '78 has that grease zerk there. I don't have the cool plastic cover though...
                            .....bet James could fix ya' up.........but then you'd want the Euro pegs,shifter, ect...

Comment

Brake Lock Up

In conclusion, do all of the above: Rebuild the caliper with new piston and rebuild kit. Rebuild master cylinder with new kit. Replace brake lines with new - either rubber or preferably stainless steel. Check and or replace brake pads. Remove, clean, and lubricate brake shaft and hole where it goes through in frame.

Bottom line is you will have repaired any and everything that is involved in a 30+ year old system and it will now be ready to work for 30+ more years.

MP
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike