X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Cylinders 2&3 not firing

Hey guys,
    This is my first post here so, Hello.

I have something of a project bike in a 79 xs11sf.
    I am getting spark in 1&4 but not in 2&3. I switched the coil wires and got spark on 2&3 so i know the coil works. so that leaves just the ignition module ...right?

Also...what size are the bolts holding the exhaust in place?
    78 E

The pick-up coils as well I believe. I've read some have found broken solder joints inside the TCI.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

coils

There are two coils. One for 1 + 4, and one for 2 + 3. Sounds like your 2/3 coil is toast. Or at least the wires from the coil or plug caps from same need investigation.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

Not Firing

Check the pick up coil wires for broken spots. Check all 4 wires for both pick ups. Gently stretch the wires in order to locate a break within the wire(s). Note that the wire can be broken inside of the insulation.

When/if you find one broken, do a search on this forum for the repair procedure.

Mike
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
          Check the pick up coil wires for broken spots. Check all 4 wires for both pick ups. Gently stretch the wires in order to locate a break within the wire(s). Note that the wire can be broken inside of the insulation.

When/if you find one broken, do a search on this forum for the repair procedure.

Mike
          +1 on this. It's the MOST common issue in this situation.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

WELCOME to the forums, Dave!

Here is the link to the pick-up coil wire repair:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543
            Marco

Current bikes:
            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
            1979 Honda CBX
            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Grab these

one out the two are probably good. For the price you should take the chance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS110...8ac8ec&vxp=mtr
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                one out the two are probably good. For the price you should take the chance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS110...8ac8ec&vxp=mtr
                I dont beleive the coils are the problem...I hooked the 1&4 wire to the 2&3 coil and got spark so wouldnt that rule out the coil??
                I will take that cover off tonight and check the wires in there for breaks.

what size is that allen head??
                78 E

Comment

Originally posted by visago22 View Post
                  what size is that allen head??
                  .......5mm.......
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

[QUOTE=visago22;437421]I dont beleive the coils are the problem...I hooked the 1&4 wire to the 2&3 coil and got spark so wouldnt that rule out the coil??
                    [QUOTE]

Yep, if you swapped the grey and orange wires to the coils, and 2&3 fired, the coils are good.
                    As the guys said, check the pickup wires under the left side engine cover.
                    A preliminary check can be done at the four prong plug at the TCI. The top two terminals in the wiring plug are one pickup, and the bottom two are the other, Put a continuity checker across the top two, and check for continuity. Then the bottom two. If my calculations are correct, it will be the top two that do not show continuity.
                    CZ

Comment

i checked under the left side cover and the two wires seem to be in ok shape...didnt see and rubber banding when tugging slightly.
                      guess i will check continuity at the ignition module now
                      78 E

Comment

could the ignition be wasted from the previous owner jumping the bike with his car?
                        78 E

Comment

There should be 4 wires
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

could the ignition be wasted from the previous owner jumping the bike with his car?
                            A car is the same voltage as the bike. it won't hurt it a bit.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

i checked under the left side cover and the two wires seem to be in ok shape...didnt see and rubber banding when tugging slightly.
                              As Greg (BA80) said in post #13, there are 4 pick-up wires ... make sure they are all good ...
                              Marco

Current bikes:
                              1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                              1979 Honda CBX
                              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                              WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                              X