Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CB1000 Air Shocks: Arrived in mail leaking . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAT, it might be metric, best take the original with ya . . . but you knew that.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
      JAT, it might be metric, best take the original with ya . . . but you knew that.
      I'd say almost certainly metric.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        My pics are not showing? I see the pics right now. Hmm. Heres the link to the pic:
        https://db.tt/4DU5e2h4
        The https: has to be changed to http: or no one will see it. This happens when people use photos from Facebook while they're signed in. The s has to be removed or the link is secure.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

No fitting/hydraulic/hardware store had that Schrader valve. My local small shop had a box of them. And yes, they were metric. Not sure what the other forums speak of with regard to an 1/8" fitting on the shocks. It does not fit.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Okey dokey- I successfully re-filled the air shocks with 10 oz of 5wt oil each shock; no leaks. Having issues pressing the XS rubber bushings and sleeves into the air shocks. Any advice?Anyvody sell those sleeves that fit the left side bolts, and the top right side?
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Done! Found some plastic sleeves.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Hi Ian, nice to see a plan come together, kudos.

What type of oil did you use, fork oil ?

I don't want to start an oil thread, Just have a set of XJ air shocks that I'd like to refresh.
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Hey Schming- I took about a week and read maybe a thousand+ pages on air shock (over oil) rebuild threads (great one on here, btw). From the factory, Showa used 5wt oil. Some guys recommended using 2.5wt, whoch I could not find. I used 5wt Belray fork oil. Others recommend 10wt for a more modern feel.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                  X