New Guy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by penninger View Post
    Yeah thats a good idea. Stop messing around and pull them off. I found the thread on here about bench sync, so I'll follow that. Thanks
    Really, that's probably all it takes. A vacuum sync it nice, but a proper bench sync will get you where you need to be. Get it done to where you get a good idle and smooth acceleration. If they aren't leaking you can move on to the other maintenance issues.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Really, that's probably all it takes. A vacuum sync it nice, but a proper bench sync will get you where you need to be. Get it done to where you get a good idle and smooth acceleration. If they aren't leaking you can move on to the other maintenance issues.
      But a bench sync is in no way a replacement for a proper vac sync.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        But a bench sync is in no way a replacement for a proper vac sync.
        I didn't say that it was. I just pointed out that he can get the bike running just fine without one. The vacuum sync is something that can be put off until the other maintenance is done.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Pen, are the carb boots/manifolds in good shape? Bad cracks can allow air into carbs. Make sure your vacuum lines are routed properly, too. Make sure all jets are CLEAN and a maybe a triple cleaning of carbs is in order. All this, I know, as mine was revving, too. Check 'unwanted revving issues' thread. I got mine running near perfectly with the help of these gurus. They absolutely will know more tricks than I know to help you out.
          79 F
          Previously owned: (among others)
          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
          1973 Suzuki TM 125
          1979 XS1100 F
          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
          1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            I didn't say that it was. I just pointed out that he can get the bike running just fine without one. The vacuum sync is something that can be put off until the other maintenance is done.
            The way it sounded was that you were saying you didn't need to do the vac sync because a bench sync was good enough.

I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the vac sync is very necessary for a properly running bike.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Pictures. We want pictures!!
              1995 KZ100P
              Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
              Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                Pen, are the carb boots/manifolds in good shape? Bad cracks can allow air into carbs. Make sure your vacuum lines are routed properly, too. Make sure all jets are CLEAN and a maybe a triple cleaning of carbs is in order. All this, I know, as mine was revving, too. Check 'unwanted revving issues' thread. I got mine running near perfectly with the help of these gurus. They absolutely will know more tricks than I know to help you out.
                One thing though... The inlet manifolds have an inner sleeve, made of different material from the outside. So, it's possible to have cracks in the outer material which don't look too great but which, in fact, don't go through the inner lining and cause air leaks. I've noticed that on several bikes, some of which have had really bad looking manifolds externally but which were fine inside. If running on a budget and wanting to avoid unnecessary expenditure, it's worth checking the inside oft he manifolds for cracks. I read somewhere that the outside layer is primarily to support the carbs and reduce vibration, rather than the prime air seal aspect of things. Personally, though, I hate the look of cracked, mangy-looking manifolds even if they are OK internally!
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

As for synching and tuning, as well as valve shims, HERE is my results and thoughts on it. If you have not yet, do check your valve clearances before digging to deep into fine tuning and such. But the bike should run and maintain revs without the valve shimming work.

As for the synching, when I rebuilt the Katana last year it was missing horribly when I first fired it up. I had forgotten to bench synch the carbs. Once I bench synched them, it ran nicely.

For the intake manifolds, if they do not leak, coat them with a rubber sealer like plasti-dip to make them look new-ish.

IMO, check on the tuning and synching first. If it still runs like crap you can move on to intake manifolds and such.
                  Last edited by DGXSER; 02-14-2014, 08:50 AM.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

To answer a lot of questions the intake boots are brand new.

So last night I took the carbs off and did a bench sync. I gave the mix screws 1 1/2 turns. Put the carbs back on and it ran great. My buddy is coming over tonight after work and were going to do a vacuum sync.

After that, I have only paint, turn signals, head light, new grips, mirrors and a new rear tire.
                    79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
                      Pictures. We want pictures!!
                      You do not want pictures. I took a 100% bike and cut the ass end off of it
                      79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

+1 on the outside of the manifolds looking cracked, and the inside being fine. When I got my XS last year, they looked really bad on the exterior, but upon inside inspection, they were fine. I had already ordered new ones, so I did replace them. I also purchased a vac. sync, and got the carbs working really well. Could not have done most of it without guidance from members, though.
                          79 F
                          Previously owned: (among others)
                          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                          1973 Suzuki TM 125
                          1979 XS1100 F
                          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                          1991 BMW K75

Comment

I was chasing a similar problem a while back. Turned out that one of the vacuum hoses to the gauge was cracked and introduced a vacuum leak. As I chased idle around, I finally noticed that #3 went to zero when I closed the gauge petcock for that port; it should have stuck at whatever vacuum it last held. If the vacuum plugs are in place, make sure they seal, as they tend to get hard and brittle and allow a vac leak, making a synch inpossible.
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Hey Penn,

Congrats on getting it to behave with a bench synch. Thanks for your photos...and what the hey, it's your bike, you've got it running, that's about all we ask from folks working on these machines that go cutting on them. We just get upset "MORE" when folks cut, and then never finish and end up parting it out!

Now as to your photo....you have the inexpensive EMGO style/brand of pod filters, and they have a prominent mounting lip on the inside that can and often interferes with the air flow in the intake bell, has caused several members to have excessively rich running machines, and well as poor top end performance....like hitting a wall ~6k rpm or such. Take a look in the tech tips about Velocity Stacks type mods for mounting them to eliminate the restriction, and we have found that the velocity stack actually can help with the throttle response due to getting much straighter flowing air going into the carbs instead of the turbulent air that can come sideways from thru the filters so close to the inlet!

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                                Hey Penn,

Congrats on getting it to behave with a bench synch. Thanks for your photos...and what the hey, it's your bike, you've got it running, that's about all we ask from folks working on these machines that go cutting on them. We just get upset "MORE" when folks cut, and then never finish and end up parting it out!

Now as to your photo....you have the inexpensive EMGO style/brand of pod filters, and they have a prominent mounting lip on the inside that can and often interferes with the air flow in the intake bell, has caused several members to have excessively rich running machines, and well as poor top end performance....like hitting a wall ~6k rpm or such. Take a look in the tech tips about Velocity Stacks type mods for mounting them to eliminate the restriction, and we have found that the velocity stack actually can help with the throttle response due to getting much straighter flowing air going into the carbs instead of the turbulent air that can come sideways from thru the filters so close to the inlet!

T.C.
                                Thanks I'll check it out. Everything on the bike other than the cheap air filters I have done my self. Including making my own seat, using a truck hitch light as a tail light lol

Just painted it

79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Working...
                                X