New Guy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Question

Hello everyone this is only my second post, well really it my first "real" post. I picked up my 1979 xs1100f for free off Craigslist and was told it didn't run, but it was a complete bike. And it has a clean CA title and that is something in and of it's self. So after some wiring, petcock rebuild, gas tank flush, cleaned the carbs, and a fresh battery the beast fired up.

Now I am having an issue with the cold idle. If it even has a cold idle. I started the bike and let it run and the RPM's were at 3200 after a short time they dropped to around 1200. But after twisting the throttle a few times the bike would not idle back down. It stayed at a constant 3200 rpms. Any suggestions on why or how to fix this.
    79 XS11 Bobber Project

First off, I hate you!! A standard model, complete bike, free of charge. Yes, I hate you.

So, you cleaned the carbs, but have you tuned and synchronized them? Two things can cause a high idle like that, lean mixture and out of synch carbs.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Only by ear. I have a buddy coming over this weekend to help me out with that part of it.

Also the longer I keep the beast running the higher the RPMs get.

Thanks for the quick response.
      79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        First off, I hate you!! A standard model, complete bike, free of charge. Yes, I hate you.
        The really funny thing is the guy I got it from said "I got this as a project but I cant even get it to turn over with a new battery." So after digging through the bucked of parts he gave me with it, I found the ignition box in a plastic bag. Plugged it in and instant life. lol Some peoples kids.
        79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

If you did a bench sync (search the forum, instructions are here) and set all the mixture screws to about two turns out, you should be able to get it to run fine.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            If you did a bench sync (search the forum, instructions are here) and set all the mixture screws to about two turns out, you should be able to get it to run fine.
            Two turns out were perfect! She is idling right around 1100 rpms now. That should have been my first step but for some reason this was kicking my teeth in. Hey thanks again, and sorry for the noob question.
            79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Originally posted by penninger View Post
              and sorry for the noob question.
              Please don't apologize. This is why we're here.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Ok so I'm back. I adjusted the carbs idle mixture screws and got the RPMs down. But and this is a big BUT. When I turned off the bike and came back to it the same thing happened. 4500 RPM's and just sat there.
                79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

get them all synched. good job on it so far. free is good
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Make sure the throttle linkage ( where the cable hooks to the carbs) isn't catching on something. Maybe an intake boot clamp?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      Make sure the throttle linkage ( where the cable hooks to the carbs) isn't catching on something. Maybe an intake boot clamp?
                      that was the first thing I check.
                      79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Do you have the carbs where it's easy to remove them?
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Do you have the carbs where it's easy to remove them?
                          yeah I can take them off in about 15 mins
                          79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Take them back off and bench sync them. Some people use something thin like a bread tie to get them close but I usually just hold them up to a light and eye ball them and usually get them within a fraction of a turn.

Just adjust them so there's a sliver of light showing equally in all 4. Put them back on and you should be very close.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Take them back off and bench sync them. Some people use something thin like a bread tie to get them close but I usually just hold them up to a light and eye ball them and usually get them within a fraction of a turn.

Just adjust them so there's a sliver of light showing equally in all 4. Put them back on and you should be very close.
                              Yeah thats a good idea. Stop messing around and pull them off. I found the thread on here about bench sync, so I'll follow that. Thanks
                              79 XS11 Bobber Project

Comment

Working...
                              X