Back From the Brink II - The Degunking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back From the Brink II - The Degunking

Here's the "new" bike. 78E Canadian. It runs. Not well, but it runs. My first jobs will be to check the valve lash, cam chain tension, and diaphragms.

It's mostly there. No headlight, as it was faired. Replacement shocks. Has the 4 into two Jardine spaghetti pipes with crossover. Starting it up brought over the neighbour who rides a 92' Yamaha virago 1100. We concluded over a beer that the pipes sound real nice.

Titled and registered

The good.

The bad.

The ugly.

Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

excellent project, most stuff looks minor don't understand how someone can let forkseal go like that good luck with it
    where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
    Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Orange4,

Get focused. None of that cosmetic stuff means a thing. Ignore it for now. Concentrate on making it go and stop. Once you have it sorted, you can make it pretty.

I suggest you take it one step at a time. Break it into budget size (time & money) pieces. Those brake lines are likely original and need replacement. So, you need to go through the brakes. Your forks will need seals, so you might as well take them apart and clean them up. And so on. Make a list. If it doesn't make it go or stop, it doesn't need to be done until later.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I wish I could get one like that, cheaply. It's all minor stuff. Fork seals and cleaning the sliders is easy. Carb clean and diaphragms + float valves adds a bit to the cost. Brand new replica seats for this model are available in the UK but add further to the cost, of course

Once you're happy with the running and the transmission, I'd be doing a full job on the brakes with new seals all round, new pads

Thereafter, it's a question of how far you want to go. Stainless Allen bolts for the cases, respray etc.

Here's a similar one I bought. It was too far gone to do anything else except break for spares...

Last edited by James England; 02-01-2014, 04:26 PM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James,
          who sells those seats? They look perfect.

I had some time to poke around at the bike. I got the cam cover off and did the chain tightener procedure and checked clearances but I forgot to check if the timing marks lined up. D-oh! Intakes are on the tight side of good (.0045) but the exhausts are on the loose side from .008 to .010 at the most. so it's pretty noisy.

It starts great with the choke but won't rev well. I have to get the tank off and check the diaphragms and the synch.

The timing indicator had been replaced with a flimsy chunk of sheet metal so I fabbed up a better replacement and set TDC with a dial indicator. I need to pick up a degree wheel.

Hack job:

Ahhh... Much better.

Once that was all done, I set the timing. When I get it running better, I will check the centrifugal and vac advance.
          Last edited by Orange4; 02-10-2014, 02:32 AM.
          Living to EXcess.

Comment

Hey O4, a question, after a lot of work to get this sweet scoot up and running, how much attention will you pay to the brakes? Specifically, will you replace the rubber brake lines? I am thinking very hard about replacing mine, as they are 34 years old, and am liking the idea of safety in replacement.
            79 F
            Previously owned: (among others)
            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

I will most probably replace the brake lines. $90 is cheap insurance. They will look cleaner too. I can't decide on black or stainless colour though. Probably will go stock.
              Living to EXcess.

Comment

Been working on the Wire wheel project but had some time to do a bit of clean up on the '78.

Polished out the paint on the rear seat cone, repainted the final drive and polished the chrome. That's the "new" seat from Andreas.

Someone had sprayed flat black over the frame, brake calipers and trailing arm at some point (have I mentioned how much I hate rattle can flat black?) but a quick spot application of stripper with a small brush removed the rattle paint without damaging the original glossy japanning. I worked in small sections and wiped off the stripper as soon as the flat black came off, then applied wax.

Right now I'm looking for a set of stock chrome rear shocks to replace the crummy aftermarket ones it came with.
                Last edited by Orange4; 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM.
                Living to EXcess.

Comment

Carbs cleaned, synced, and running smoothly now!

This is a pic of my home made sync manifold. Similar to nashville_bill's but made with a 2" PVC plenum with screw top so I can fit everything inside. The cool digital boost/vac gauge is a gift from another member from a different forum. It is adjustable to turn green or red with user input and it has two output signals for actuators or alerts or what have you. Don't know what else to use it for. Guess I need a turbo. Hahahaha.

My salvaged shocks from a later bike with the adjustable damping.

The brakes are sticking so that's next, then the front forks need rebuilding.
                  Living to EXcess.

Comment

Sorry, I just saw your question....

The seats are available at £145 from Tight-Fit Seats. I phoned them yesterday about a seat for my new project.

They ship internationally and have sent several to the USA

The best way of getting in touch is via eBay. They don't list full seats on eBay any more but still make them. I was delighted with mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...item2a3972bb88
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks James.

The cover only is about $60 Can or $55 US.

I have a good original pan, foam and budget so I'll go with the cover. Brand new seat is tempting though.
                      Living to EXcess.

Comment

Tackling the deepest gunk.

I'll be rebuilding these puppies too. I have 10w fork oil. Anyone use thicker for more damping or is 10 wt good enough?

The front brakes were sticking so I'll have to degunk the master as well.

Some progress:

Living to EXcess.

Comment

Good progress! 15w fork oil will help the dampening. Least it made all the difference on my Venturer, even with the factory air forks/progressive springs.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks. I'll see how it feels with the 10w then go up from there if it needs it. I'm not a heavy guy so I though I'd try the stock weight first. Nice to have it all cleaned up and looking new again even on the inside.
                            Living to EXcess.

Comment

Very cool project man, cant wait to see how it turns out. Seems like you are very knowledgeable and the E found a good home! Keep the pics and updates coming.
                              Jeff
                              77 XS750 2D completely stock
                              79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Working...
                              X