starter button won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter button won't work

My 1979 xs1100 sf start button won't work. The bike had been starting/running great for the last few years. I installed a iPhone charger a few months ago and after a long trip i forgot to unplug my charger which drained my battery. I jumped the bike from my truck and it started up. After I stopped it to see if it charged the battery it was still dead. The problem is now the starter button won't work yet all lights work. I put a screwdriver between the two terminals on the starter solenoid and it cranks. Any suggestions? Thanks

Starter Button

Make sure that the handlebar kill switch is in the on/run position. Remove and clean your ground connections - battery cable to chassis and engine case to chassis. If it still does not start, take the starter button switch apart and make sure that the contacts are clean. This switch simply supplies a ground through the handlebar, same as horn button.

Mike
    Last edited by MPittma100; 01-14-2014, 09:46 PM.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Here is a diagram of the starting circuit of the XS11.

On the 78-79 models the starter button ground was through the switch to the handlebars. On the 80-81 models, Yami added a ground wire to the harness. I suspect because they also introduced the MNS that year, and with the painted bars needed the ground.

My best suggestion is to follow the path of the electrons from the battery onward till you find where they stop flowing.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Does the XS have the safety switch on the clutch handle like the XJ? Have you tried putting it in neutral before trying to start?

And as much as I hate to admit it, I've tried chasing down starter problems just to find I'd bumped the kill switch as Mike pointed out.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Does the XS have the safety switch on the clutch handle like the XJ? Have you tried putting it in neutral before trying to start?

And as much as I hate to admit it, I've tried chasing down starter problems just to find I'd bumped the kill switch as Mike pointed out.
          XS does not have the safety interlocks like the XJ.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            XS does not have the safety interlocks like the XJ.
            Your slippin' Nate......twice, (hinged rear fender) and clutch safety switch. ... yes, the 81's have the clutch safety switch, Standard and Specials.

Other than that, you've thrown out good correct responses.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

starter

All the fuses are good and I installed a new starter solenoid. The thing that is weird is that the bike worked fine for years and I drive it weekly. All I did was jump the battery. I cleaned all the connections in the start/stop/starter switch area and still nothing. This is frustrating!!

Comment

starter button

I had a similar thing a while back,
                Found the solution where the handlebar switch plugs into the harness
                Cleaned it up and cable tied it together problem solved!
                78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

starter

WTF. I was checking the ignition fuse with a meter while pushing the start button and it fired up. I just touched the meter to the top of the fuse connector. I drove down the road and it died (thank god I was up a hill and coasted home). The battery was still dead, and when I jumped it the starter button didn't work until I touched it with the meter. New fuse box?

Comment

New fuse box, upgraded to bayonet fuses. It will probably solve the problem, and if not, is still a needed upgrade.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by vwlord View Post
                      WTF. I was checking the ignition fuse with a meter while pushing the start button and it fired up. I just touched the meter to the top of the fuse connector. I drove down the road and it died (thank god I was up a hill and coasted home). The battery was still dead, and when I jumped it the starter button didn't work until I touched it with the meter. New fuse box?
                      These bikes will not run with a discharged battery. If you don't have at least 11 volts minimum at the battery terminals the TCI won't fire correctly or at all.
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

These bikes act funny with a dead or dying battery. Some things stop working, others work somewhat, some things work fine. When my battery starts to go, my left blinker stops working while the right works fine. And some batteries will fail while still showing 12v but will drop to 8v or 9v when a load is applied...surface charge, I think they call it. A dying battery can make you chase your tail pointlessly.
                        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

If you still have the factory fuse box, yes, definitely upgrade. The connectors the fuses sit in get weak and brittle. Making intermittent or poor connection. Next time you check for voltage, check at the wire side of the connector that is plugged onto the fuse box. Power will get to the fuse, and be at the other end of the fuse, but not get through the connector to the wire.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Well it was the fuse box. Gotta give a big shout out to TC for saving my bike. Not only did it fix the start button problem but it also improved the bikes performance, especially the lights. It seems to run better but it could just be in my head. I moved to Monterey Ca a few months ago for school and have been riding down hwy 1 around Big Sur/San Luis Obispo, but I miss riding in the California foothills. Thanks everyone for your help with my problem/s. I have been saving up for the last 3+ years to upgrade to my dream bike, a 2004 Yamaha FJR which I will be getting here in couple of weeks. I'm going to keep and ride this amazing XS, I cherish my first bike. Again thanks, I'm sure to run into more problems.

Comment

On the 78-79 models the starter button ground was through the switch to the handlebars. On the 80-81 models, Yami added a ground wire to the harness. I suspect because they also introduced the MNS that year, and with the painted bars needed the ground.

My best suggestion is to follow the path of the electrons from the battery onward till you find where they stop flowing.
                              Hello everyone. New guy/first post...

I have a 1980G, and I just put new handlebars on it, and now it won't start. The old one's were chrome, these are painted. Any chance this might be the problem?
                              '80 XS1100G - "Stripper"

"Representation" without lubrication ...

Comment

Working...
                              X