No announcement yet.

Xs1100r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic of an 82 XJ11 front caliper, they are also the same as the 81 MNS front calipers...

2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Gusseting

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
      Mike, it's got nothing to do with crash reinforcing etc. They're there to make the frame stiffer for better handling - no more.

As Tom has indicated with his examples, by him properly securing the frame tubing to the steering head and other frame mods with substantial weight reduction on his "ratbike" (more a work of art than a rat, by any standard), and comparing it with both a Stock E model and a Sport (5K7 /5N5), he's demonstrated that there is a definite advantage (at speed) to having the frames stiffer.
      Have a look at any of the 80's era superbikes and they've all got substantial bracing around different areas of the frame.
      I'm also pretty sure that the thinking behind the lower cradle bracing was an attempt to stiffen this area of the frame without resorting to the often used method of fitting solid engine mounts to make the engine a stressed member of the frame. It does work extremely well, but increased vibration during day to day riding probably wouldn't have been a big selling point for the average customer.
      Just out of curiosity, wonder why they did that to the R and none of the other frames?

Mike
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

The XJ forks are really just a modified version of the Special forks and will fit the XS trees. There are some subtle internal differences, but nothing to prevent some parts mixing if done with care.

If you want to swap them as-built to a XS, you will need to mod the headlight ears for the balance tube and relocate the ignition switch; the tube will block the switch and steering lock.

For a bit more info, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37399
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Pic of an 82 XJ11 front caliper, they are also the same as the 81 MNS front calipers...

Thanxs Phil, I don't have any idea why I didn't notice the XJ forks and thier caliper mounts til now.
          It'll be so much easier to adapt 4 pots to the XJ mounts than the SF's.
          What the heck was Mammie Yammie smokin' when they designed or should I say botched the SF's forks.

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
          Just out of curiosity, wonder why they did that to the R and none of the other frames?

Mike
          My exact same query when I saw the gussets and bracing.
          It'll take me til next fall to get started on my SF but I'm shooting for a "Hingeless Blend of the SF & RH " since we can't get the good bikes o'er here.

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          The XJ forks are really just a modified version of the Special forks and will fit the XS trees. There are some subtle internal differences, but nothing to prevent some parts mixing if done with care.

If you want to swap them as-built to a XS, you will need to mod the headlight ears for the balance tube and relocate the ignition switch; the tube will block the switch and steering lock.

For a bit more info, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37399
          Great tutorial Steve, thanxs, that answered some questions I had.
          I believe I have a set of headlight ears that I can modify.
          My goal is to modify my SF to be completly reversible if necessary.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post

Mike
            At the end of its lifecycle Yamaha wanted to boost sale figures in Europe, so they introduced the "much sportier" Sport version to battle against the newer and better handling Kawis and Suzis and Hondas of that time. To prove its better handling they showed the extra gusseting of the frame. It didn't help much to boost the sales.
            XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
            MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
            Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
            Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
            Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
            Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Gusseting

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
              At the end of its lifecycle Yamaha wanted to boost sale figures in Europe, so they introduced the "much sportier" Sport version to battle against the newer and better handling Kawis and Suzis and Hondas of that time. To prove its better handling they showed the extra gusseting of the frame. It didn't help much to boost the sales.
              That makes perfectly good sense. The typical manufacturer battle to out-do their competition. Thanks for that explanation.

Mike
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hi Math, are the gussets and extra bracing modifications you'd consider adding to a frame without, and do they, in your opinion, result in a noticably stiffer better than stock handling ?

Comment

Well, according to TomB it makes a difference. I never rode one because I think it is ugly hahaha. Sorry for that if I offended someone

Comment

Yes, I do respect TomB's first hand experience with the gusseted and braced frame but your statement:

" To prove its better handling they showed the extra gusseting of the frame. It didn't help much to boost the sales. "

. . . got me to thinking did it really help the rigidity of the frame or just a marketing ploy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                      . . . got me to thinking did it really help the rigidity of the frame or just a marketing ploy ?
                      I suspect it was more of a marketing ploy...

One thing I'll add about the XJ forks; the XJ fender is considerably stiffer than the Special fender (and heavier), so a fork brace probably won't show as much improvement as you'd get on a Special. The standard front fenders are really flimsy compared to either of the others.
                      Last edited by crazy steve; 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Yes, I do respect TomB's first hand experience with the gusseted and braced frame but your statement:

" To prove its better handling they showed the extra gusseting of the frame. It didn't help much to boost the sales. "

It's not my statement, it was Yamaha's. To be honest: I think that amount of gusseting must have helped but it will depend on the rider to quantify.

Comment

If you want it quantified...

Get your forks set up right, oil grade, level, spring pre-load, alignment with each other.

Get some decent rear shocks.

Head bearings adjusted absofekkinlutely dead right or you're completely wasting your time, and I mean not over tight but NO play.

And wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, good tyres.

Get all that right and then and only then will you be able to notice the difference between braced and unbraced frames.

I ride like a loon, ask Math he's the same and ridden with me, and I got some bits wrong and thought the frame bracing made no difference, once new rear Koni's fitted I could tell.

If you don't want to do all of the above don't bother with the frame bracing, its not worth the hassle.
                          Tom
                          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                            I suspect it was more of a marketing ploy...

One thing I'll add about the XJ forks; the XJ fender is considerably stiffer than the Special fender (and heavier), so a fork brace probably won't show as much improvement as you'd get on a Special. The standard front fenders are really flimsy compared to either of the others.
                            Good to know Steve, I'll make sure I get an XJ fender with the forks and wheels. IYO would it be prudent to match the final drive with the rear wheel ?

It's not my statement, it was Yamaha's. To be honest: I think that amount of gusseting must have helped but it will depend on the rider to quantify.
                            Thanxs Math, I appreciate your response.

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                            If you want it quantified...

Get your forks set up right, oil grade, level, spring pre-load, alignment with each other.

Get some decent rear shocks.

Head bearings adjusted absofekkinlutely dead right or you're completely wasting your time, and I mean not over tight but NO play.

And wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, good tyres.

Get all that right and then and only then will you be able to notice the difference between braced and unbraced frames.

I ride like a loon, ask Math he's the same and ridden with me, and I got some bits wrong and thought the frame bracing made no difference, once new rear Koni's fitted I could tell.

If you don't want to do all of the above don't bother with the frame bracing, its not worth the hassle.
                            Good checklist Tom, I totaly agree with all the above, and I also want to work on bracing a swing arm properly.

Do you use polyurethane or solid engine mounts ?

Comment

Good to know Steve, I'll make sure I get an XJ fender with the forks and wheels. IYO would it be prudent to match the final drive with the rear wheel ?
                              To tell the truth, I'd use a lightened Special fender and fork brace over the XJ fender; it really is a heavy mother and can't be helping unsprung weight, although the swirly wheels are lighter than the XS units.

As to 'matching' final drives, they're all the same regardless of the rear wheel, just different finishes unless you're thinking of a 750/850 FD swap. Personally, I'm not a fan of the FD swap as it will reduce performance IMO.... and I like performance...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Do you use polyurethane or solid engine mounts ?
                                OE mounts, I'm not trying to use the engine for strength, I feel that the engine castings are not strong enough, I've seen many crashed XS1100's with broken rubber mount holes broken simply from the jolt of sudden stopping.

I do shim the OE mounts when fitting them, rolled shim around the mounts makes them tighter in the engine holes, but to bring the mounts back to new spec.
                                Tom
                                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                                X